Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to do ball joints on my XJ, and I'm going with NAPA Premium, as I've heard they are the best on the market. I was wondering if, while I had the front end apart, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the unit bearings too. I beat the snot out of my rig, and want to upgrade any time I do work on it. I don't know if they have ever been replaced or not. I would like to have some peace of mind on this!! What are the best and most durable unit bearings, and where can I purchase them?? I'm not too concerned about the higher prices, because this is something that I feel it's OK to spend some cash on. This part of the Jeep takes a serious beating, and I want it to hold up for awhile. Thanks for any input in advance!! Peace out!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
my advice, unit bearings suck, had one go out on my pickup, while i was driving.
get a set of warn lockout hubs
im gonna do just that, for the xj

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not going the lock out hub route. Down the road, AKA a few years, I'll be swapping in a D44, so I don't want to invest another $700.00 in this axle. I know Timken makes a great bearing. I'll look into them, thanks. Anyone else??

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$150.00 for the set, that ain't bad!! Any idea what the shipping costs??

·
Registered
131 Posts
my advice, unit bearings suck, had one go out on my pickup, while i was driving.
get a set of warn lockout hubs
im gonna do just that, for the xj
lol you mustve been ignoring it for quite some time if it 'went out' that bad.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
lol you mustve been ignoring it for quite some time if it 'went out' that bad.
I seen that happen before but only cuz the guy was driving without his stub shaft. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just remember those of us with older XJ's our unit bearings cost more then the newer models..for my 91 rockauto price is about $92 plus shipping per hub..Those who use the newer style for hte 99 and newer yours are usually about $20 cheaper..:p

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm getting ready to do ball joints on my XJ, and I'm going with NAPA Premium, as I've heard they are the best on the market.
So is it generally accepted by you guys that the NAPA are the best? Anyone has opinions on this? It'll be good to know.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just remember those of us with older XJ's our unit bearings cost more then the newer models..for my 91 rockauto price is about $92 plus shipping per hub..Those who use the newer style for hte 99 and newer yours are usually about $20 cheaper..:p
thats bc theyre better hubs. they use a different bearing or something.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
So is it generally accepted by you guys that the NAPA are the best? Anyone has opinions on this? It'll be good to know.
I dont have any proof that they are the best. But for most general repairs I go to NAPA to get the parts.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Most auto parts stores carry parts that "meet or exceed oem specifications" so i wouldn't say their parts are the best. The best you can buy are what you jeep comes with from the factory and those are at the dealership but NAPA, Advance, Autozone, etc all carry pretty good quality parts. I haven't had much luck with advance auto parts hub assemblies though. The ones i got on ebay (china) lasted longer than the advance bearings. :brickwall: My rig was a donut dunked in coffee on a weekly basis though...:D

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm a name-brand-whore junkie, but then again I've been around tons of stuff that was supposed to be "better than OEM quality" and watch it fail almost instantly. I do admit, that there is a certain amount of lee-way I give a manufacturer (no one can build a perfect part, QC is only so controllable), but there are a few names I know and trust from my own car, to a customer's car, to the racetrack, and that's all I'll use.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
I'm a name-brand-whore junkie, but then again I've been around tons of stuff that was supposed to be "better than OEM quality" and watch it fail almost instantly. I do admit, that there is a certain amount of lee-way I give a manufacturer (no one can build a perfect part, QC is only so controllable), but there are a few names I know and trust from my own car, to a customer's car, to the racetrack, and that's all I'll use.
No one can build a perfect part? come on man, you know they built the dana 35 perfectly. It's the best darn part you can buy anywhere.

:eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts