Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I'm not sure where to start with my 89 Cherokee Laredo 4x4. She had been running fine and I stop at the grocery store and when I came out she would not turn over, nothing. Dead to the world. I have juice (power) but nothing. I let her sit for a few hours and ran back to tow her home and she turned over and started. Then when I come back out the next day nothing. Someone recommended a new starter which I just installed and still nothing. I know Jeeps have electrical issues and this is probably something simple and weird. The Jeep is old and runs great, but does have oil leaks underneath which I try to clean through out the year.

Any suggestions what to try or look at?

I would hate to let her go to the junk yard. To many memories with "Faith".

Traci

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
First thing to check is the neutral safety switch. It can cause random failure to crank/start issues. It's bolted to the side of the transmission and susceptible to grime and corrosion. Fortunately it's easy to clean and adjust . Barring that here's a link to the Renix bible for trouble shooting.

Reactions: Volley119

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing to check is the neutral safety switch. It can cause random failure to crank/start issues. It's bolted to the side of the transmission and susceptible to grime and corrosion. Fortunately it's easy to clean and adjust . Barring that here's a link to the Renix bible for trouble shooting.

Thak you. I will take a look and hopefully this is the issue.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Next time it doesn't start, move your shifter to neutral and try starting again . If this works it is your neutral safety switch most likely.

Reactions: lawagoneer
1 - 4 of 4 Posts