Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what function does the vacuum canister located behind the front bumper on the pasenger side have? If it is needed, where would be a good place to relocate it.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
I think it's a bomb... :eek:

Really, it's mainly needed to open and close your vent doors when you run your heater.

I think alot of XJ owners have relocated the canister to inside the engine compartment to make room for aftermarket bumpers and stuff.
;)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help.

Do you know if it can be installed any where in the vacuum line that leads to it? I was thinking of removing it from it's existing location, caping the line, then reinstall it closer to where the vacuum line exits the intake manifold and just upstream of the check valve. The reason for the relocation is to install an aftermarket front bumper. I am not sure which one yet but just getting prepared.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update on relocating the vacuum canister. While in the process of relocate the vacuum canister to the inside of the front cross member, I was rerouting the rigid plastic hose leading to the canister and it broke in 3 places. On further inspection I discovered that the breaks were actually old cracks in the tubing. The cracks were in an area of the tubing where the tubing was not accessible with out completely removing it.

In the past I noticed that the engine had a little rough idle and looked everywhere for vacuum leaks and could not find any, until now. After replacing the rigid tubing with a flexible vacuum hose the rough idle disappeared.

·
Registered
62 Posts
like others have said just relocate it up to the passenger side firewall and its easy cause thats where the lines run, theres a nice little spot where the inner fender meets the firewall(underneath the overflow for the old style cooling systems)

·
Registered
840 Posts
I thought it also is needed for vehicles with a CAD front axle. It allows vacuum to build up & pull a little harder, somewhat like a stretch-n-snatch strap allows a lighter vehicle to pull a heavier vehicle out of the mud.

Whatever the case, the advice I have always seen is to relocate it. I would keep it where it is as far as where it is "In line". I wouldn't move it to the other side of a check valve.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I put mine on the drivers side inner fender panel. there's lots of room in front of the brake master cylinder and there is enough hose to re-route it along the firewall.

·
Registered
63 Posts
On my new 1990 jeep many of the vacuum hoses are disconnected. There are several plastic tubes that connect to metal tubes that run from passenger side engine bay near the heater fan to under the jeep. My front end was replaced with manual Warn hubs, and rear with a Currie 9 inch rear. Tranfer case is now an Atlas II My understanding is the original use of these metal vacuum pipes was for activating a CommandTrac system, which has now been removed.

I want to remove the no longer needed hoses and such to make room for an ARB compressor in the engine bay. But I understand that some of the vacuum system is still needed for the climate control system, correct? I have AC in this jeep.
Where can I find a diagram of the vacuum system? So I can understand what I can remove, and what I need to keep to operate the climate control. What other if any functions does this vacuum system perform?

Finally I will eventually want to move the vacuum bottle, currently just behind the front bumper passenger side to make room for my winch control box, The winch control box is on the bumper now, I want it better protected.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,203 Posts
Here you go. Typical Gluck response. TMI! If it's worth doing. it's worth over doing!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts