Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what can I do to keep the valve cover bolts from getting loose,, bc I tighten them and then a few weeks maybe 2 months their loose again.. :confused:

·
Registered
231 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
ok thats a solution....

but whats the reason behind that?.. i dont think thats normal..

·
Registered
695 Posts
mine does the same thing.. in fact mine was leaking pretty bad. But before I jumped into replacing the valve cover gasket (most common cause of oil leak) I check the bolts and they were all finger tight or less. I tighted them up and a mentioned a few months later they were a bit loose again, though not as much as originally. I have been told this is fairly common. I dunno though, I just check them at every oil change.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Could you replace the bolts with ones that are case hardened, or would this not be a good idea due to different types of metal? My valve cover bolts are somewhat boogered on some of them. I understand that the 85 is 7 pounds on the torque wrench. If this is the case, I would replace as many as I could.

I will have to get some of the Loctite. Either way, more tools to make the job easier.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Use any bolts you want,and blue loctite.If bolts loosen up they arewore out or the blocks threads are but loctite will solve your issue just dont use the red.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
if you dont have blue lock tight i have seen people use finger nail polish. it does work.

·
Registered
840 Posts
On my YJ, I used a spiral pattern starting near the middle & working towards the ends.

Tightening only to the specified torque, I went over the pattern several times. Maybe 5-6 times.

They stayed tight for three years now, with no thread locker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts