Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well right now money is a huge factor, and I'm really still trying to best to get my project underway. I was wondering if retreads are ok to get? What are your views on them?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think re-treads are fine. When it comes to buying big tires, if they have a decent tread and enough sidewall plys, then it's just a matter of getting the best price for the size you want after that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm looking at these 31x10.50 MTs from Treadwright, About $70 a tire isn't bad at all for me. Is there anything I should stay away from in particular?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Tread Wright re-treads are the only ones I've researched. I am leaning really toward buying a set of their 33x12.50s, for myself.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
A few guys on this forum run the retreads and they praise them. You will probably hear from them in a little bit. TrueBlueXJ is one of them.

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
True will check in between 5-7 in the morning so you hae a few hours to wait but I think I have seen him praise them. I have never tried the retreads so I have no comment on them myself.
Right on time. :D

I run those exact tires - the 31x10.15x15 MTs from Tread-Wright. In the short time I've had them on the Jeep I've put them through mud, snow, rain, deep water, and ice, and they've done remarkably well in every condition. The tread pattern is almost identical to the Goodyear MT/R, except Tread-Wright's lugs aren't as wide, and they're spaced out a little more, which means these tires clean out great. Aside from being great off-road, they're also quiet on the road, and balanced with very little weight. If they hold up as well as they say they do I'll be looking at another set, possibly in a 33", when tire time comes again.

:thumbsup:

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Been thinking about getting a set of these for my DD as well. I want to go with the AT tread pattern and not the MT tread pattern.

Is there anyway that they let you pick the carcass they use? Do the 4 tires you get come with the same carcass or is it a toss up?

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Been thinking about getting a set of these for my DD as well. I want to go with the AT tread pattern and not the MT tread pattern.

Is there anyway that they let you pick the carcass they use? Do the 4 tires you get come with the same carcass or is it a toss up?
You'll have to ask them what carcasses they use. I know they use MT/R and Mickelin LTX carcasses, but they may use a number of different 3-ply carcasses that you can choose from.

As far as matching carcasses, all you need to do is specify that you want matching ones when you checkout. There's a comments/notes box on the order page where you can note that. I received matching LTX carcasses in 4 days to my door.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Cool. I abosolutely hate the tires on my DD right now. They suck in everything except dry pavement but I just can't afford a set of BFG AT's or Bridgestone Revos. I was also considering the Firestone AT's - just had my g/f put them on her Liberty and they're great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts