1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
324 Posts
The vin number layout differs between AMC and Chrysler era XJ's.

A 4.0l is a letter M in the 4th position for AMC era Jeeps... but not in Chrysler ones. IIRC, its a number 6 in like the 8th position for a Chrysler Jeep.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
For later model years you can just contact Chrysler and request a factory build sheet. Usually takes them 5-7 business days to get you an electronic copy, but it's worth it. It was spot on for my '00. Usually older models, I'd say '94 and earlier will probably not be as accurrate though from what I've heard.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
For later model years you can just contact Chrysler and request a factory build sheet. Usually takes them 5-7 business days to get you an electronic copy, but it's worth it. It was spot on for my '00. Usually older models, I'd say '94 and earlier will probably not be as accurrate though from what I've heard.
From what I understand, as the years go up they drop a year. So they only go back so many years.

·
Registered
324 Posts
They still had 94 stuff as of a couple of monthes ago... I had them run a recall check on the 94 ZJ, and they ran me a build sheet also... The things I did check from it so far were correct.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

A 4.0l is a letter M in the 4th position for AMC era Jeeps... but not in Chrysler ones. IIRC, its a number 6 in like the 8th position for a Chrysler Jeep.

if you click the link u will see it differs from groups of years her lemme fix it

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

ok now go back and click on the link an scroll to the bottom of the page. i tried to copy n paste it but it screwed up the table so just use the link and tell me what you think

·
Registered
110 Posts
Am i mistaken or is there no chart for 1990-1996?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
They still have the info on amc stuff in their system. one of the guys from comancheclub ran some #s for me and they were right on the money..
Thanks for the site its got a bunck of great stuff... funny I was looking at the engine swap for the jeep and they say about the v8 gm the most... well I just bought a gmc half ton with a 350 that is going into the cop xj.. been talking to nova rep for what parts I need to do the swap..

·
Registered
695 Posts
My personal Jeep Parts saleman (Father) ran my VIN through Chrysler and it said my XJ was exported to Switzerland and was a Right Hand Drive. I ran a Carfax and it did not have the same info. At some point the info from both Chrysler and Carfax matched again.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
seems to be pretty spot on

1 - 15 of 15 Posts