Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking onto maybe getting a winch bumper for my '00 after the mess we got into a couple of weekends ago.

I'm looking at the C4X4 tapered winch bumper, and the MORE bumper. Anyone know anything about these? Opinions?

Also looking at JCR's Stage 3 front bumper. It looks to me that it could be modified to allow a winch to be mounted up.

AJ's aren't bad either but I hear he's hard to get ahold of.:confused: I will not spend the amount that a Hansen bumper cost, although they are nice. I have looked at the one that Logan makes but don't care for the triangle thingy below the fender.

I e-mailed Detours about using his BackBone system with my Warrior bumper but he feels it would not be compatable. Which sucks since I really like the looks of the Warrior bumper.

·
Registered
600 Posts
AJ's aren't bad either but I hear he's hard to get ahold of.:confused:
Negative on this one Kim. I have AJ's sliders and also have talked to him about a front bumper. In my experience, he has gotten back in a very timely manner. One time I even emailed him on a saturday and he emailed me back later that night! He will make any bumper to suit your needs. If you already couldn't tell, I highly recommend AJ.

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
No issues with AJ myslef. Love my sliders

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Im dealing with NATES4X4 for a bumper right now, he seemed like a nice guy and said it will be shiped on the 11 so i can let you know how shipping go's if you havent made your mind up yet, there winch bumper is on sale right now also
Nates 4x4

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I assume the Iron Scorpion is the one that comes in a "kit"? You weld and grind it yourself? I can weld, but don't know if I want to, or have the time to fab it up myself. Looks nice though.

Nates 4X4 looks interesting, can it be got without the brush guard? Anyone have any pics of it mounted up on a '97+ XJ? Price is nice too!

I'm REALLY disappointed that Detours Back Bone system won't work with my existing bumper. I've always liked his system, but don't want to go back to a stock front bumper. I don't want to have to use stock endcaps, and the stock bumper looks funky without them IMO.

REWSTER, yes let me know about the shipping on Nates bumper.

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sitting here looking at JCR's Stage 3 bumper. I don't know if I want a bumper that sticks way out on the front like most winch bumpers do. That is why I like Detours design.

The Stage 3 bumper is strong enough to be able to pull from the D-rings, why can't a mount be added to the center for a winch? You could add a stiffener to the back side of it, and simply bolt on a winch mount. I know the shear strength of a 1/2-13 grade 2 bolt is 70,000lbs. So IMO 4 - 1/2" bolts would not be the weak point. Besides I saw somewhere that the winch is mounted with 3/8-16 bolts anyway.

If I wanted to, I could remove the winch when I wasn't going to be using it. Food for though I guess....

·
Registered
84 Posts
firehawk:"I'm REALLY disappointed that Detours Back Bone system won't work with my existing bumper."

Sorry firehawk, there was a time I was speaking to the supplier of the warrior bumper, thought was to get my hands on that bumper in bare steel, no mounting brackets attached.......this would allow me to alter the bumper without causing a boat load of other work.

I can offer you this though........if you were willing to have your existing bumper sandblasted clean of it's powder coat finish, ship it to me.....I'd modify it to accept the BackBone, remount correctly and put it in a primer~sealer finish for you......on a side note, it looks as if that lower center bar on your brushgaurd may also need relocating...

If you have intrest, we can speak about this more indepth, you'll need to calculate cost, but I think we can do this for equal or less cost of a typical new winch bumper.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
firehawk:"I'm REALLY disappointed that Detours Back Bone system won't work with my existing bumper."

Sorry firehawk, there was a time I was speaking to the supplier of the warrior bumper, thought was to get my hands on that bumper in bare steel, no mounting brackets attached.......this would allow me to alter the bumper without causing a boat load of other work.

I can offer you this though........if you were willing to have your existing bumper sandblasted clean of it's powder coat finish, ship it to me.....I'd modify it to accept the BackBone, remount correctly and put it in a primer~sealer finish for you......on a side note, it looks as if that lower center bar on your brushgaurd may also need relocating...

If you have intrest, we can speak about this more indepth, you'll need to calculate cost, but I think we can do this for equal or less cost of a typical new winch bumper.
Thanks for the response, I've sent you a PM.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just did this one this weekend. I winged it so I have to transfer it to CAD. But I'm tempted to get a run cut out and maybe sell some DIY kits. Not sure what venders rules here are though and would do whatever if there was enough interest to make it worth my time.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a conversation with Mark at Detours this morning. Appears he/we can make the Backbone system work with my Warrior bumper. So I'm going with his setup. It requires a slight modification to the d-ring tabs, and the rest will be mods to my bumper.

I'll post up some pic's when I get started on it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm looking onto maybe getting a winch bumper for my '00 after the mess we got into a couple of weekends ago.

I'm looking at the C4X4 tapered winch bumper, and the MORE bumper. Anyone know anything about these? Opinions?
Both are very nice bumpers. MORE's is closer in design to the C4x4 TrailBlazer bumper (which is what I run on my XJ) though.

WP does list an XJ winch bumper, but they don't have any photos of it.

If you really like your current bumper and have some fab/welding ability, Eric converted his non-winch bumper to a winch bumper and has a really nice write-up on the conversion: Tech article - Non-winch to Winch-mount Project Eric recessed his winch into the grille a bit, which helps keep the overall good looks of the bumper.

edit: nevermind, I see you're going with the Backbone system. I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished product!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Both are very nice bumpers. MORE's is closer in design to the C4x4 TrailBlazer bumper (which is what I run on my XJ) though.

WP does list an XJ winch bumper, but they don't have any photos of it.

If you really like your current bumper and have some fab/welding ability, Eric converted his non-winch bumper to a winch bumper and has a really nice write-up on the conversion: Tech article - Non-winch to Winch-mount Project Eric recessed his winch into the grille a bit, which helps keep the overall good looks of the bumper.

edit: nevermind, I see you're going with the Backbone system. I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished product!
I've seen that WP makes a winch bumper. I never could find a picture of it, but I did see a price somewhere. What I saw was $550! Since my XJ is mainly a DD I cannot see putting that kind of money into a front bumper. Plus, I don't like the idea of all the added weight of a true winch bumper + the winch on the front end. I could see the coils sagging, and then having to buy new coils creating another problem.... more money, more money!:D

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
There winch bumper is ok, but it really lacks on the proper mounts. Go with Detours, you will much happier.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I called Mark at Detours today and got the Backbone ordered.:thumbsup: There needs to be a small change to allow me to use the WP bumper I have. It was no problem, Mark and I discussed dimentions, and he is going to alter the design slightly.

I'm going to make my own mounts to bolt the WP bumper up, which dosen't look to be any problem.

It's nice to deal with someone that's willing to work with you on something instead of "here it is, do you want it or not" mentality.

I'm even considering his Tailbone system in the future. I've never been all that happy with the Tomken rear bumper I have now. I never liked the looks of the endcaps they sell, and went back to factory endcaps. If I'm going to use them I might as well go back to a stock rear bumper. I wish I had the cash to do the Tailbone system now since I got a gas tank skid and have to remove the rear bumper to mount it up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another vote for AJ's. I had no issue getting a hold of him when I was ordering my rock rails, which are awesome by the way. He even called me to let me know they were ready to ship and to expect them at the end of the week. I have NEVER had a vendor do that. As far as his bumpers, mine is ordered and I am hoping it will be finished by the end of the month. He was a little behind on orders due to illness but he said he was getting some help in the shop to get caught up. Anyways, I choose AJ's because of the mounting and frame support that is built into the bumper including steering box reinforcement. And they just look darn good too.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I just did this one this weekend. I winged it so I have to transfer it to CAD. But I'm tempted to get a run cut out and maybe sell some DIY kits. Not sure what venders rules here are though and would do whatever if there was enough interest to make it worth my time.
Do you have some more pictures of this? I'd like to see how it looks when you are done with it. Nice design.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts