Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why would my washer fluid freeze the second it hits the windshield but not freeze in the reservior bottle? it can sit all night in 0 degree weather and not freeze but does on the window...confused.

im wondering wtf the previous owner put in there. water? i drove to work and used the fluid for the first time during winter. it froze instantly and i could not see anything. i ran over the middle divider, which was fun but i couldn"t see :(

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never had this happen before. I mean it actually hit the windshield and became ice immediately and iced up my wipers too. I tried again and it got really thick and i could not see a thing outside the window. My gf's car doesn't do that and cleans off very well. How would i clean my windows off if i were on the freeway in this weather, driving behind a semi? I'd wreck for sure.....

I betting maybe the PO topped off the fluid with water instead of actual windshield washer fluid.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
carry a BBQ lighter and apply heat fron inside.... IDK I dont have cold weather... I guess when its sprayed as a misc is freezes faster,, did you try it moving or at a stop, bc the wind factor always affects the cold..

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Having heat that worked would help. :D

Mine does that too. Once it runs out I'm gonna get the -20* stuff with the de-icer. That usually makes a big difference so I usually run it in the winter time.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hit the parts store, I think Prestone had a washer fluid additive that's a de-icer. If you can find it, there's one called Volcano Juice that does the same thing, but it works better than anything I have ever seen...

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
carry a BBQ lighter and apply heat fron inside.... IDK I dont have cold weather... I guess when its sprayed as a misc is freezes faster,, did you try it moving or at a stop, bc the wind factor always affects the cold..
I was at a red light when i did it the first time and was like "WTF!?!?" When i tried to get the window down, it was frozen shut. :brickwall: So i hit it really hard with my elbow and it went down. I tried again as i started going down the road and it just built up to one solid sheet of ice.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having heat that worked would help. :D

Mine does that too. Once it runs out I'm gonna get the -20* stuff with the de-icer. That usually makes a big difference so I usually run it in the winter time.
I bet it would. :(

When i came out for my break 2 hours later, the ice was melted. I guess the engine heat came out of the vents on my hood and warmed it up.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I suspect that the glass is a better conductor of the cold than the plastic washer fluid container. Plus the windshield is exposed directly to the cold, and the air moving over it. Put your IR temp scanner on the two. :D

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
do you have defrost on it?

·
Registered
642 Posts
This happends to me too. I usually have to keep the defrost on a good bit to help. When I run out i'm gonna go get some de-icer stuff.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's what i have to deal with now:

Grr. Once it freezes, i have no way of defrosting it. Kinda sucks having my head out the window and salt/water spraying up cuz of my wide tires. I broke two ice scrapers just getting that one spot clear. :(

I gave in and ordered this yesterday:

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=4691

10% brought it down to 179. Not too bad. Of course it's on backorder so.....:devil:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hit the parts store, I think Prestone had a washer fluid additive that's a de-icer. If you can find it, there's one called Volcano Juice that does the same thing, but it works better than anything I have ever seen...
^ hint hint, it will do wonders....

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like you have a case of wimpy ice scrapers.

Isopropyl alcohol will de-ice... It takes a bit... Be wary, it is flamable...
I paid $12 for each scraper at napa. :( I used to have $6 walmart scrapers but gf broke both so i upgraded to the beefy thick ones with nice rubber handles and broke those too. This is PA ice, mean and unforgiving.

I left the jeep running for 30 min with heat on the 2nd setting while i ate my lunch. When i came back out, the jeep was completely ice-free all around but smelled like SHI$ inside and i had the biggest headache when i got back to work. I drove with all the windows down too so it could air out but still almost murdered me. My jeep and I don't get along. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
The base ingredient of "blue" washer fluid is designed to evaporate quickly.
Leaving less streaks in warmer weather.

As it gets cold, this is not the case, its tendency to try and evaporate causes its temperature to drop drastically. <<--EXAMPLE: the way thinner cools off as it evaporates. I cannot explain it any better than that.

AS it is in bulk in the reservoir, and it is most times closed. It doesn't have the enviroment to evaporate, therefore it stay in liquid form...at least to certain temperatures.

When sprayed on windshield however, it has the tendency to ice up.
A warm windshield helps keep this from occuring. :rofl::rofl:

An additive to the reservior with help alter the evaporate-point of the fluid.
As can specific cold-weather washer fluids.

Personally, I fill reservior with standard BLUE fluid then add .125-.250oz of dish detergent. The soap hinders the icing to a certain point.
Plus added benefit of giving a nice shine. And most of the "perfumes" from the soap whaft into the cowl an thusly to the interior and for a little while, I have a new air freshener.

Other than that: Brass bladed scrapers. Durable, strong and wont scratch glass. I have one in both our XJ's. If they can't handle the ice...I stay home.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Here's what i have to deal with now:

Grr. Once it freezes, i have no way of defrosting it. Kinda sucks having my head out the window and salt/water spraying up cuz of my wide tires. I broke two ice scrapers just getting that one spot clear. :(

I gave in and ordered this yesterday:

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=4691

10% brought it down to 179. Not too bad. Of course it's on backorder so.....:devil:

use your lisence to scrap the windsheild

·
Registered
642 Posts
^^^^Wow you guys have some crazy ice problems! I've never experienced anything near that. I bought my ice scraper from wal-mart for $0.99 6 years ago and it's worked great :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts