Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd appreciate someone giving me a sanity check on this:
I have lifted my 2000 XJ 2" with pucks and shackles and went with R.E. shocks all the way around as well as replaced the worn out leaf springs. I went with O.E. because this will be flat towed behind my motorhome and is its primary purpose. On-road manners are the absolute goal. I've already towed it 2k mi in the last couple weeks and it drives just as straight and comfortable as it did pre-suspension work. -Now that the suspension is good to go, I'm ready for tires. I'm currently looking at M.T. sidebiter II 15 x 8 wheels with 3-5/8-back-spacing & -22 offset. I'd REALLY like to get to a 31" x 10.5 tire but am aware that I might/probably will have articulating problems show up should I do any off-roading, so I'm also looking at the 30" x 9.5 but that makes me worried that I'm going to have too much negative offset with the wheels.

I'm in analysis paralysis.

Given that this will spend 93% of its life on the highway, what are the chances I can get the 31s stuffed in there with a little bit of clearancing of the seams, etc and be worry free? Presently, there is ~19" from the top of the fender flare / tub to the center of the hub with the stock 16" 235's on it.

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Many will say you will be fine. On 4 inches of lift with 31s I clear everything, even twisted up offroad with other parts to add to my flex. If you stay on the road, biggest issue you might have is turning radius. You might rub a little on the backside of the front control arms. Personally, for what you are doing, a set of 30s would be my choice. What tire did you choose?

·
Premium Member
9,683 Posts
With the stock 5.5" back spacing, I had rubbing on the front suspension links in full lock turn. With 1.5" wheel spacers I did not. So you won't have that problem with the 3.5" back spacing. I ran 31" swampers on the stock rims and had a very minor rub on the rear fender flare when stuffing the tire. They eventually rubbed a little spot out, not visible, and all was well

Reactions: XJSuperman

·
Premium Member
9,683 Posts
That is a good choice

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, all! I'm going with the 30's. BFG was offering a $70 rebate good through tomorrow and was able to do a wheel/tire package through tirerack where they'll mount/balance/ship for free. -With any luck, I'll have them and get them installed on Monday.

·
Super Moderator
10,838 Posts
In the event you rub on the control arms. you have little bolts on the axle housing which you can extend a few turns and prevent the tires rubbing. It will hardly be noticeable in turning radius.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It never fails, what I want isn't in-stock. I could have ordered elsewhere, but then I would have had to find a shop to mount/balance. -The two I use around here won't mount anything the don't sell and don't/won't special order (for reasonable prices). I did some more measuring and head scratching and went with 17" wheels and 265/65/17. They're a bit wide, but no issues on LCA rubbing. I'm going to have to clearance the fender flares and tubs right at the floor/kick area about an inch or two. -I know articulation will be limited on this, but I really love this look.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did the 1.5 rough country lift and 4.5 back space steel rims. My fenders rubbed when i flexed it. So i took off my fender flares and cut the fenders using the method on youtube that uses a 5/8 in black strip to line the edge. This worked perfect.

I did add a hockey puck bump stop up front and i also made bump stop extentions for the rear . I believe the rear ones are about 5 inches total.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts