Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the gym and I got my ass kicked! I haven't been in over a month and it really shows, lol. I have been meaning to get back into shape for next summer and I was wondering what kind of supplements people are taking. I know the vast majority are pure garbage, but I have been hearing about creatine a lot lately. In the past I just take whey protein, but I was just wondering if you guys had any $.02 on creatine or any tips for bulking up.

Btw, in the past two months of not going to the gym, i dropped from 165 to 150lbs :eek:

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
ive heard that creatine fills your muscles with water,, I will talk with Muddeprived, he does some BB

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
do waste your money on all that garbage. i heard tons of crap about creatine. all you need to do is take a blender, mix a yoplait yogart, a banana and some milk. there's your drink right there. learned that from a college football player who says its all the same.
Get lean first, then if you try the right diet and you can't bulk up look into suppliments. I tried to tell my step son, he kept taking it, eating two helpings a dinner, now he's just fat. lol

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get lean first, then if you try the right diet and you can't bulk up look into suppliments. I tried to tell my step son, he kept taking it, eating two helpings a dinner, now he's just fat. lol
Yeah, I am already lean. I have had a six pack since middle school, lol. Now I am just trying to bulk.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
ive heard that creatine fills your muscles with water,, I will talk with Muddeprived, he does some BB
Aye, it'll water up your muscles. Seen a guy at RIT use it, actually OVERUSE IT, and he became "fat-ish". A balance of protein and carbs is key. EAS makes some great proteins and they taste very good too, unlike the other kinds that you have to hold your nose to get it down.

Bulking up requires eating proper foods throughout the day. I recommend a 6-meal program, where you eat every 3 hours.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, between work and school I don't have the time to eat 6 meals a day, but I do try and maintain a healthy diet. I eat a complete breakfast and dinners, but during the day I am lucky to get a bite to eat.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Yeah, between work and school I don't have the time to eat 6 meals a day, but I do try and maintain a healthy diet. I eat a complete breakfast and dinners, but during the day I am lucky to get a bite to eat.
EAS makes meal-replacement bars. They have 400 calories or so, 30 some grams or protein and 50 some carbs (if it's still the same). When i was in school, i would take a couple of these with me and shove em down when i couldn't cook food. Of course none of this stuff is cheap. :cool:

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yuep, and between a jeep, college and GF, this stuff is way out of my price range :p O well, I just need to bulk up a little and I'll be happy. If I get back to where I was 6 months ago, I'll be good :p

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I went against your guys advice I picked up some creatine. I wasn't going to to begin with, but I got it for cheap. GNC was having some crazy deal and I got 2lbs of whey protein, 1000G of creatine and a sports multivitamin for about $60. I am all good to go, lol. I'll let you guys know if it really does anything.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
if you are going to take the creatine make sure and I mean make sure you have lots of water and I mean lots of water all day long. what creatine does inable your muscles to retaine water. this is how it bulks you up. it does not do it it self you have to suply the water for it to retain. so drink lots of water, juice, milk water ever it is drink lots. if you do not drink enough what will hapen is the creatine will acualy take the liquid from other parts of your boady to store in the mucles. not good because this will cause you to be constpated... no one wants that.
Why I know this.....
I use to work out like crazy a few years back (ok its been 20 years now) ERRRR I am gitting old) . I had to do lots of research to find the best thing to make a 140 pound 6'1" guy become bulk.
after about 2 years, all kinds of different things and 6 days a week 2 and 3 hour work outs I finaly found the way to do it right.
6 small meals a day a 45 minute work out 3 days a week so my body had lots of rest to build muscles. ( works realy well when you are doing all kinds of different things during the day and are up more then you sleep)
now at almost 40 still doing the same thing and retain my 175 ponds all the time and nothing but real food and a hard work out.
like I said drink lots of water or your not going to be a happy guy.
if you can not eat during the day and can not afford the high end energy bars git some graonla bars at walmart and eat lots of frut during the day as the frut has juice in it as well. (eat wial driving, walking between classes, where ever you can)

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
if you are going to take the creatine make sure and I mean make sure you have lots of water and I mean lots of water all day long. what creatine does inable your muscles to retaine water. this is how it bulks you up. it does not do it it self you have to suply the water for it to retain. so drink lots of water, juice, milk water ever it is drink lots. if you do not drink enough what will hapen is the creatine will acualy take the liquid from other parts of your boady to store in the mucles. not good because this will cause you to be constpated... no one wants that.
Why I know this.....
I use to work out like crazy a few years back (ok its been 20 years now) ERRRR I am gitting old) . I had to do lots of research to find the best thing to make a 140 pound 6'1" guy become bulk.
after about 2 years, all kinds of different things and 6 days a week 2 and 3 hour work outs I finaly found the way to do it right.
6 small meals a day a 45 minute work out 3 days a week so my body had lots of rest to build muscles. ( works realy well when you are doing all kinds of different things during the day and are up more then you sleep)
now at almost 40 still doing the same thing and retain my 175 ponds all the time and nothing but real food and a hard work out.
like I said drink lots of water or your not going to be a happy guy.
if you can not eat during the day and can not afford the high end energy bars git some graonla bars at walmart and eat lots of frut during the day as the frut has juice in it as well. (eat wial driving, walking between classes, where ever you can)
Dude you remind me of myself back before college. I am too 6'1" but weighed 155 throughout high school. Basketball was my game and i got tired of getting beat up on the court so i hit the gym. Nothing was happening at first till i started reading Bill Phillips "Body For Life" book. That book sure motivates you to work hard. It introduced the 6 meal a day plan and 4 workouts a week (every other day). I started that program during the summer of my first year of college and went from 155 to 185. When i returned to class in the fall, my friends barely recognized me. That plan really transformed my body and fast! The eating was intense, trying to keep myself hungry enough to keep eating but i got it all down every day (4000 calories!). i kept on lifting throughout the winter and got up to 205 lbs, my heaviest ever. I was curling 165 lbs on the ez-bar, which completely destroyed my beginner weight of 70 lbs. I would say eating those 6 meals (food and eas meal replacement drinks) and a heavy dedication to the program got me where I was.

it's amazing what us humans can do with our bodies. :bow:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I total agree. my best was 195 or so. I could not scrach my head and as far as lifting the powerhouses in the gym would just shack their heads at me. I could bench over 200 and curl 180 no problem for opening sets.
its all in concentration and the will to want.
I dont know about you but I am a very small frame guy. my best weight is around 170 to 175 so I mantain that as best I can. anymore and it hurts my back. any less and I feel small and week.. lol
I engoy working out and eating properly but I know what you mean buy keeping hungry. and it is wors now that my motabilisum is slowing down as I get older.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
O ok, thanks guys. Right now I am 5' 7" with 11% bodyfat and I weigh 150lbs. My goal for this summer is to try and hit 165lbs and my goal overall is to be at 180lbs. I'll keep you guys updated.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I am not sure if I like creatine yet. It's only been four days but I can definitely notice the difference. I can lift around 10-20% more weight, but it reduces my endurance. It definitely helps when doing sets, but I can almost exhaust a muscle group in one exercise, whereas before I could do 2-3 exercise before my muscles fail. I mean, I can do more weight and more sets, just overall I burnout quicker, so idk if I like it yet. I'll give it a month or so and then go from there.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm 17 6'3 and 320lbs. 122% body fat and bench 200 even. Max out at 320.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yeah, I am not sure if I like creatine yet. It's only been four days but I can definitely notice the difference. I can lift around 10-20% more weight, but it reduces my endurance. It definitely helps when doing sets, but I can almost exhaust a muscle group in one exercise, whereas before I could do 2-3 exercise before my muscles fail. I mean, I can do more weight and more sets, just overall I burnout quicker, so idk if I like it yet. I'll give it a month or so and then go from there.
yes it will do that at first because it is just bulking your muscules.. give it time.
a good way to build is to just do one set of each excersize. What I mean is this.
if you were doing bench press.. start with you max weight. do as many as you can. when you can not lift any more take 50% of the weight off.
lift till you can not lift any more. repeat Take 50% off again till you are down to just the bar. it will really build muscle and fast.
it realy works well and for you saying that you do not have much time in the day between classes g/f and jeep you sold beable to do this kind of training in and out of the gym in 45 minutes.
Now the thing is that you have to do this for about 3 months and then go back to regular sets to build endurance.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
yes it will do that at first because it is just bulking your muscules.. give it time.
a good way to build is to just do one set of each excersize. What I mean is this.
if you were doing bench press.. start with you max weight. do as many as you can. when you can not lift any more take 50% of the weight off.
lift till you can not lift any more. repeat Take 50% off again till you are down to just the bar. it will really build muscle and fast.
it realy works well and for you saying that you do not have much time in the day between classes g/f and jeep you sold beable to do this kind of training in and out of the gym in 45 minutes.
Now the thing is that you have to do this for about 3 months and then go back to regular sets to build endurance.
That's the method my buddy practices. I do the complete opposite though. Every body is different and reacts differently. I start with a low weight, high rep set then increase the weight and decrease the reps by 2. By the 4th set, I am doing my Max. On the 5th set, I do 5 lbs over my max, with a spotter or without. I stop right after that 5th. When the next week's session starts again (same muscle group), I plan my weights so i beat last week normal weight by 5 lbs. I continue to increase 5 lbs a week till I get stuck and cannot go any higher. By that time, it's time to switch to another workout (change up often to keep muscles guessing). After a couple weeks, I go back to the previous weight that i managed to do and by that time, my muscles can handle more and i repeat it. This program lets me increase my muscle size and strength dramatically. I feel that using the max weight on the last set enables my muscles to "adapt" to that weight and overcome it the following week. It's like training for track and field. You run the mile at a certain time, and you try to beat that time the next practice. Your body continues to adapt and overcome that last hard race against time.

This is the same method i use in cardio. I do 30 minute stationary bike exercises. Every two minutes i increase the intensity. So on the first try, i am ending on intensity level 15. Next week I'll increase the intensity by starting on level 2 and ending on 16. every week I go up one intensity level by stay at 30 minutes. This keeps your muscles guessing and growing, plus sure as hell sheds off the fat!

I always see people in the gym doing the exact same exercises with the same weights every day and after so many months, they are still the same. Change up frequently, keep those muscles guessing and the sky's the limit ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts