Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The '93 Cherokee I am about to buy has an odd black shinny little dome on the inside of the roof right above the rear view mirror. The guy I'm buying it from doesn't know what it is and I have NO clue. Anybody know what it does?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Key less entry you can get a key fob to fit it if you want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IR keyless entry, that's fun. I may just have to think about that new fob, I do like not having to use a key in the door every time and risk scratching. I'm actually impressed that the paint on a '93 is good enough that I'm concerned, but it is.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
IR keyless entry, that's fun. I may just have to think about that new fob, I do like not having to use a key in the door every time and risk scratching. I'm actually impressed that the paint on a '93 is good enough that I'm concerned, but it is.

Thanks for the help.
You can get a fob off e-vil Bay.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Before plunking down the cash for a new fob, is there any other way to insure the keyless entry system is in working condition?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Before plunking down the cash for a new fob, is there any other way to insure the keyless entry system is in working condition?
Not that I know of.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Thanks finneysxj, I have been needing to get a new fob for my jeep as the one I have now I dropped and only works sometimes. You just saved me from having to search around to find a link :D:D:D:D

No problem

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Don't want to rain on your parade, but that old style keyless entry system was a poor performer. Range was usually restricted to within 5'-10' from the vehicle, and they typically didn't work for all that long. Instead of investing in the fob and re-coding it, you can probably pick up an aftermarket alarm that offers impressive range and functionality.

Even on my 2000 XJ the keyless entry performance was sub-par, even with new batteries and new fobs.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Don't want to rain on your parade, but that old style keyless entry system was a poor performer. Range was usually restricted to within 5'-10' from the vehicle, and they typically didn't work for all that long. Instead of investing in the fob and re-coding it, you can probably pick up an aftermarket alarm that offers impressive range and functionality.

Even on my 2000 XJ the keyless entry performance was sub-par, even with new batteries and new fobs.
Just a thought, but why would you need to unlock your rig from more than 10 feet away?
I have to use my remote. When I bought my jeep 6 years ago the key has never unlocked the driver door only the passanger door

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I'm not saying you have to, I guess it's just become the "norm" to be able to unlock your vehicle from further distances. One reason to be able to is if you're walking to your vehicle from your hhouse/apartment/store/etc with stuff in your hands and you want the doors to be unlocked when you get there instead of fumbling for keys while you're holding a bunch of stuff. Some people also get their hopes up that the old system will work great, and then it doesn't.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I'm not saying you have to, I guess it's just become the "norm" to be able to unlock your vehicle from further distances. One reason to be able to is if you're walking to your vehicle from your hhouse/apartment/store/etc with stuff in your hands and you want the doors to be unlocked when you get there instead of fumbling for keys while you're holding a bunch of stuff. Some people also get their hopes up that the old system will work great, and then it doesn't.
Great, everyone has always told me that I am not "Normal", so I guess this helps their case against me :D

·
Registered
607 Posts
Just a thought, but why would you need to unlock your rig from more than 10 feet away?
I have to use my remote. When I bought my jeep 6 years ago the key has never unlocked the driver door only the passanger door
Do you feel any resistance at all when you turn the key in the driver's door lock? The linkage is usually held together with Nylon clips (dumb idea, I know...) on later models, and they do wear out and snap. You can pull the door skin and replace them.

Last time I needed them, I found several varieties in the HELP! secion at the local. Since I was working on a Ford at the time (not mine - a workmate of my wife's, and billed out at mate's rates...) the HELP! section wasn't so much and I had to go to Ford for them. I got them for a walk - but, being a Ford, I had to take the old ones in to match them up. You may not get a walk at your local dealership, but the clips shouldn't cost too much.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Do you feel any resistance at all when you turn the key in the driver's door lock? The linkage is usually held together with Nylon clips (dumb idea, I know...) on later models, and they do wear out and snap. You can pull the door skin and replace them.

Last time I needed them, I found several varieties in the HELP! secion at the local. Since I was working on a Ford at the time (not mine - a workmate of my wife's, and billed out at mate's rates...) the HELP! section wasn't so much and I had to go to Ford for them. I got them for a walk - but, being a Ford, I had to take the old ones in to match them up. You may not get a walk at your local dealership, but the clips shouldn't cost too much.
I tried the drivers door a few times but was met with major resistance, I was afarid I was going to break the key off, so I stopped trying since I only have one key to my jeep. :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
I tried the drivers door a few times but was met with major resistance, I was afarid I was going to break the key off, so I stopped trying since I only have one key to my jeep. :)
Ah - then the linkage isn't broken, it's jammed. Or the lock cylinder is blown.

Pull the inner door liner and check out the linkage visually - if there's anything binding it up, you'll be able to see it. If you're feeling adventurous, you can pull the door latch fairly easily - blow it out with brake parts cleaner, and relube using white lithium spray grease. That may do it.

If not, the lock cylinder proper will need to be replaced.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts