Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had this oddball miss every now and then for quite awhile now and it still happens every now and then. Occasionally when driving but usually after it idles for some time. No codes come up. I have replaced just about every ,sensor already. IAC, TBS , crank sensor , fuel pump, coil, ignition switch, trans module and God knows what else. Anybody run into this. Otherwise runs balls out for 200,000.:brickwall:

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Had this oddball miss every now and then for quite awhile now and it still happens every now and then. Occasionally when driving but usually after it idles for some time. No codes come up. I have replaced just about every ,sensor already. IAC, TBS , crank sensor , fuel pump, coil, ignition switch, trans module and God knows what else. Anybody run into this. Otherwise runs balls out for 200,000.:brickwall:
Yep, mine too. I have a coil waiting to go in. I was thinking there was a small crack allowing it to ground out occasionally. If I disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, and reconnect, the miss goes away for an hour or so.

My gas mileage is S**T as well. Someone has told me they think it is one of my NEW O2 sensors. I may try a chrysler O2 sensor for the front and see.

The reasoning was the computer is getting bad information from a sensor so after a while it just ignores it and that is when the miss starts happening.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well itsd not the coil i can terll you that. Plugs and rotor look ok. As far as O2 sensors no codes are coming up for it and the cat hasnt been on since it rotted out. I just put in a straight pipe and left it alone. No emissions here so screw it.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Well itsd not the coil i can terll you that. Plugs and rotor look ok. As far as O2 sensors no codes are coming up for it and the cat hasnt been on since it rotted out. I just put in a straight pipe and left it alone. No emissions here so screw it.
I just replace the cat and the muffler, still gotta a miss. Now I can tell you this, it was much worse before I replaced the exhaust manifold. I had a pretty good crack. In fact I thought that had fixed it at first. It may be that it just isn't as loud as it was with that big crack! lol

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What the hell is causing the miss ? Every now and then driving and mostly at idle like a drive through. Sometimes it dies but always starts up again. Just aggravating.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Just a guess, but maybe the MAP sensor?
I was thinking this as well, but I was told (or read) that those rarely go bad.

I cleaned the throttle body. It was very dirty, and (I think) the map sensor is that little box attached to the side of the throttle body. I know the rear one is the TPS, I replaced that once since I was having idling issues occasionally.

I thought about spraying that cleaner in that sensor as well, but was afraid I might cause a worse issue.

I might pick that sensor up today and replace it just for grins.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just to add if you guys are getting horrible gas mileage you could invest in a k&n force air intake. I got anywhere from 15-17.5 mpg out of my XJ put that in and I get about 22 highway now. it has the 4.0

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No its not the MAP sensor either. Tried it already. As far as the K&N force intake that is AWESOME. Where did U get it and how much ?

·
Registered
608 Posts
<~ already gets 18-20mpg CITY on my '92; ~15mpg in the '98.
My highway fuel mileage is just nuts...

I just knew my MAP gave me a headache from hell before... It wouldn't throw a code, and wouldn't work exactly right either...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got mine at advance auto. That the local auto parts store here, other wise im ordering online or driving 45 minutes. I thin i paid around 200 for everything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts