Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I just installed a 3 inch rustys lift kit on my 1994 Jeep Cherokee XJ, and when I first pulled out to test drive, immediately there was a thumping in the tcase/transmission. I have a manual, and I could feel the thumping on the shift stick. I initially thought it was a driveshaft vibe, but I believe those only happen at certain ranges of speeds, never as you are just starting to move. this thumping would happen going forward, back, in neutral or not. it seems like a thump only happen every some amount of turns of the driveshaft, as I speed up, the rate of thumping increased. any ideas? I was initially thinking that I would just drop the tcase, but now I'm not so sure.

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
did the lift include a tcase drop? How old are you motor mounts? Did you install a new tranny mount?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had something like that before my lift. It may not have been exactly the same because it didn’t feel like the Tcase. Ended up being the front diff vent tube thumping on the driveshaft. It would be worse downhill and under braking when the suspension was compressed. I could see a shinny spot next to the U joint which led me to investigate further. May or may not help you.
Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts