Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's hear what you have on the back burner guys. Hopefully in time for the wheeling season, here's what I'd like to have done/do to the XJ. :pop:
- Brake booster upgrade. I have a couple of dual diaphram boosters from '95 XJ's which are supposed to be "direct" bolt in. I take this to mean that the pedal rod won't need to be modified. Should I get a new Master cylinder or will mine be okay? Or the used one? :confused:

- Rear bumper/tire carrier from DetoursUSA. Spare is currently on the roof & while it looks cool, I really hate having it there. Gonna bite the bullet.
- Body armor. Yes, dammit! I'm gonna spring for the upper & lower rear quarters, and if Detours still carries the XJ "boomerangs" gonna get them too. I don't care. Repairs are expensive & I'm a tightwad. (I'll whine & moan more about repairs that I ever will about spending on some well thought out preventive maintenance.) NJ Pinelands trees seem to like my XJ & paint is cheaper than body work.
- New rubber or poly grease boots everywhere needed under the front end. Mine are all trashed.
- Control arm drop, but I know that will make me want to compensate for the clearance loss by increasing lift height. (Please Lord, don't let me do it. :()
- Relocate rear shock mounts
-If I can find a reasonably priced front window washer motor, I'll swap that out. Mine's almost toast.
- Finally mount the brand new Carr light bar I've had sitting around for a year. Actually put lights on it, plus install the A pillar light mounts I bought from RLF last year. Just for the "cool" factor ... no night wheeling for me.

I might also try to squeeze in some decent rear storage. Tired of looking at the mess back there.

There's more, but enough of my babbling ... what're y'all planning to do?

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
DIY fabbed rear bumper.
Possibly rear quarter guards.
DIY roof rack.
DIY rock sliders.
full set of offroad tires (32 or 33")
Rear defrost window.
ZJ sway bar.
Possibly D44 out of a xj swapped in.

Dreams:
ARB lockers.
RE 5.5 long arm or claytons long arm kit.
On board air, by VIAIR probably.
Different Gears
Truss the D30
Snorkel

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
tube doors from WP
black diamond plated steel side plates from WP
ARB roof rack
Mabie ARB front bumper but i might try to find something more "Mean looking"
a bunch off lights
also some little custum modifications

Dreams
duel dana 44 axel swap out with arb selectible lockers.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
im a simple guy,

tow hooks that those are on their way

and rear swing tire bumper

and well some diff covers..

·
Registered
695 Posts
Since money is tight and this is my DD I plan on keeping it running.
I however just built some cupholders and plan on building a rear storage box.
I need a rear bumper and plan on going with JCR..but I dont anticipate that any time soon.

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Well, I'd like to MOD the Jeep, but as usual I'll just be FIXING the Jeep. 2 years without a single mod... makes me wanna cry. :(

- New tranny mount
- New tranny output seal
- New front DS u-joints (making some bad noises)
- New exhaust manifold, cat, muffler and tail pipe
- New shocks on all 4 corners

After that, I'd LIKE to get a CAI installed and a 4.0 throttle body, followed by a Ford Taurus 2-speed electric fan swap. That paired with the new exhaust oughta get this baby breathing gooood. :D

That's the priority stuff. After that will come the Durango steering box upgrade, since my current box has been leaking for two years now. Beyond that, if I ever get to do any larger scale mods, I'd like to get a Nate's 4x4 Recessed Slimline Winch Bumper, some skid plates, rock rails, and a rear bumper with swing-away tire carrier. That will make me happy till I have the money to swap in some 4.88s, a front locker, 2 more inches of lift and 33s. I have a t-case drop I'll try out, and if it doesn't cut it I'll get an SYE. Might have to look into long arms by then too.... oy vey!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Break the ice off of it....stupid snow will never end....

Finish my almost free rear tire carrier..(complete will be around $20)
Finsh my rear storage project
Build an on board air system
Wheel it....

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hopefully get mine running again it's been broke down going 6 weeks ordered a new computer yesterday hope this will fix it.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I might get a custom front winch bumper. No seriously. Wanna see a picture of it? :rofl:

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Initially, I wasn't going to spend anymore money on it until next winter, but I've come across too many great deals that I couldn't pass up on. Within the next two months I plan on:

Swapping in a Dana 30 from a friend with 4.56's and a Lockright. Yea, swapping to another Dana 30 isn't probably the best idea, but I got it for the price of a used locker, couldn't pass it up. Besides the 4.56's and locker it has on it, it's got newer brakes, new unit bearings, Lockright is 6 months old and only wheeled twice, reinforced LCA and UCA brackets (fortunately, I won't have to re-do this). Throw on some new ball joints (my Dana 30 needs them anyway, so I'm just going to do it to the new 30.)

4.56's in the Dana 44 keep the locker

Finish the rear brakelines

Long term plans:
- Cage, seats, harnesses

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
wheel it more, lift it more, fix it more, bigger tires, new shocks, track bar relocate.get a newr wrangler 2.5l motor or get a 2 door 4.0 and slap these 4.11 axles under it:p

·
Registered
378 Posts
Drive it more.
Change the trans fluid again.
Replace my current Clarion MD head unit with the Alpine CD/iPod head unit I got for Christmas.
Decide if I'm going to build the HP30 I've got in the garage, or just just stick with the LP30 that's under it right now.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Drive it more.
Change the trans fluid again.
Replace my current Clarion MD head unit with the Alpine CD/iPod head unit I got for Christmas.
Decide if I'm going to build the HP30 I've got in the garage, or just just stick with the LP30 that's under it right now.
HP30 is the solution to your problem ;)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
words to live by............

Take it out a play with it............. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

i just got the lift finished so immediate plans are to get an aliment (today)
new longer rear brakeline (tomorrow) couldnt put that ''micky mouse bullcrap extender" that was suplied with my rustys kit (i quoted that but cant rember who said it on here)

my front bumper will be the next mod, then a traitor hitch, that should be it for now

·
Registered
378 Posts
HP30 is the solution to your problem ;)
lol. Yeah, seems like a no-brainer question huh? The LP30 has never caused me any grief though (other than the one time I broke all the ring gear bolts...). The HP30 needs new LCA mounts, new LCA skids, and new swaybar mounts at the very least (And a lot of cleaning). I'd also do a raised trackbar mount if I decided to use it. The PS UCA mount may need to be redone as well. All fairly minor stuff really, just stuff that would need to be done before I'd run it. Ideally I'd like to do a full TREKS truss, we just don't have the spare funds for it.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
lol. Yeah, seems like a no-brainer question huh? The LP30 has never caused me any grief though (other than the one time I broke all the ring gear bolts...). The HP30 needs new LCA mounts, new LCA skids, and new swaybar mounts at the very least (And a lot of cleaning). I'd also do a raised trackbar mount if I decided to use it. The PS UCA mount may need to be redone as well. All fairly minor stuff really, just stuff that would need to be done before I'd run it. Ideally I'd like to do a full TREKS truss, we just don't have the spare funds for it.
If your LP is working fine, then I'd just build the HP as funds allow, and whenever it gets done, it gets done. If your current D30 was beat or broken then it'd be a different story, but it's not. I'm in a similar boat, my LPD30 is working just fine, and I've gotten really offers for really cheap HP D30's but just can't justify swapping in something that I have to regear, lock, and reinforce the CA brackets on. Yours, Jason, is a classic example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

·
Registered
21 Posts
front Olympic bumper from a friend of mine
get the JKS t-case skid I have on
get my new front axle shafts in
and some other little thing

·
Registered
330 Posts
Take it out wheeling this Saturday with some guys over at Great Lakes XJ.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts