Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

24581 - 24600 of 24635 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
I broke down the remaining axle shafts out of this D30 so I can start assembling the LSDs with the ring gears. (any tips on getting the red loctite on the bolts AND getting them torqued down to spec before they all dry would be most helpful!)

I'm still working on the rear diff's last thrust washer. I think I have everything I need to compress the clutch packs correctly, and she should get in there with a little bit of lube. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
9,793 Posts
Red loctite scares me, it requires heat to remove once it sets. But it is not supposed to set until they are tight. Something to do with, in the absence of air.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Red locktight doesn't always require heat. I use it all the time on anything that needs to stay tight. Usually just harder to brake free

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Red locktight doesn't always require heat. I use it all the time on anything that needs to stay tight. Usually just harder to brake free

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk
Still lost parts on my Harley with red lock tite. I've never had to use heat to remove .

·
Registered
785 Posts
So for the past couple mornings my headlights have not worked right away.
Been cold. But when the Jeep warmed up they would work. Sometimes.
I have the headlight harness upgrade in there.
So I finally decided to poke around today.
The relays have clear housings and it looks bad in there.
Moisture, corrosion and whatnot.
So I decided to clean them up a little, hosed everything down with electronic cleaner, and threw some dielectric grease in there.
No joy. So I am like OK no big deal. Not like a drive much in the dark. LOL.
Then it occurs to me that one relay is for high beams and one for low beam.
So I try the high beams and they work. Swap the relays and now the high beams don't work but the low beams do.
So while both relays should be replaced I can get by with just replacing one for the time being.
This is the one that appears to not work anymore.

So everybody says they are regular Bosch 5 pin relays.
The thing is that original relay says 80 amp on it.
Frankly thinking these are from China betting not a real 80 amp.
Tough to see, sorry for the crappy picture, but it does say 12V 80A in the upper right corner.
So I bought this relay cause I could get my hands on it today.

OK I posted the link here but for some strange reason it won't work.
I was a Dorman relay 88069.

It says 30 amp and the schematics match.
And everything works again.

So exactly what Bosch relays are people talking about?
What amp rating should they be?
And so everybody knows on my headlight harness the left is high beams and right is low beams.

And this is probably partly my fault.
I probably should have thrown some Dielectric Grease in there when I originally installed the harness.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have had hardware come with red lock tight already on the threads. I believe that it just gums up the threads and inhibits the removal, much l Iike nilelock nuts except red has greater bonding when threaded to a matting surface? Just a theory.

·
Super Moderator
9,793 Posts
I don't think those being that small they are 80amp relays. I put 80 on my fan and it was much bigger. That being said, What year and engine do you have. I will look up the specs.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I don't think those being that small they are 80amp relays. I put 80 on my fan and it was much bigger. That being said, What year and engine do you have. I will look up the specs.
That is the relay to the headlight harness upgrade I did a few years back.

We carry this at the store but don't stock it. Have to shuttle it in and it would take a few days. So I grabbed the Dorman one listed above cause it was available that day.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHAR7353?keywordInput=ar7353

I am assuming the 60/80A is the amp rating on that.

Like I said earlier just cause that Chinese relay from the harness says 80A I am guessing it really is not.

EDIT: Could have sworn my info was in there.
I just tried to add it and it does not seem to take.
2000 XJ by the way

·
Super Moderator
9,793 Posts
I'm not home, waiting in line at the car wash, 🙂 but I will look up the specs when I get home.

·
Super Moderator
9,793 Posts
Here is the wiring diagrams. The lights go through 20 & 30 amp fuses.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,793 Posts
the rest

Attachments

·
Registered
785 Posts
I appreciate you posting all those wiring diagrams but like I said before this is the relay in the headlight harness upgrade. The aftermarket ones guys buy and install. Nothing to do with factory wiring.

·
Super Moderator
9,793 Posts
Right, I understand the harness is upgraded, but they still tap into the factory wiring for the controls. If they upgrade the wiring, then the relays were upgraded to. But I have worked on lots of headlight wiring and those standard 30 amp relays are what I usually find. When you start going to 40+ amps those suckers get pretty big.

I know your relay shows 80a but there is no why 80 amps is gonna go through that little housing without it melting down. Do you know what manufacturer built the harness? Maybe you can search their website for an install diagram. I used to have to do that when I installed remote starters, and that wire was beefy.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Right, I understand the harness is upgraded, but they still tap into the factory wiring for the controls. If they upgrade the wiring, then the relays were upgraded to. But I have worked on lots of headlight wiring and those standard 30 amp relays are what I usually find. When you start going to 40+ amps those suckers get pretty big.

I know your relay shows 80a but there is no why 80 amps is gonna go through that little housing without it melting down. Do you know what manufacturer built the harness? Maybe you can search their website for an install diagram. I used to have to do that when I installed remote starters, and that wire was beefy.
Just the cheap Ebay/Ksuspension one.
So what about that relay at the Napa link. That is not a 60/80 amp one?
Cause it looks to be normal relay size.

https://www.ksuspensionfab.com/store/p6/H4_Upgraded_Headlight_Harness.html#/

·
Super Moderator
9,793 Posts
That Napa relay link is 80a and has bigger and thicker tabs to handle the larger current demand. If your harness has the larger connector then you can use this relay. I can't tell from the pic. My fan install used relays with threaded post and nuts.

·
Registered
785 Posts
That Napa relay link is 80a and has bigger and thicker tabs to handle the larger current demand. If your harness has the larger connector then you can use this relay. I can't tell from the pic. My fan install used relays with threaded post and nuts.
I just went back and looked at it seeing how 3 out of the 5 tabs are bigger.
Doubt that would work then.
I remember seeing the threaded post and nut ones when I was looking at 80 amp relays.
So a 30 or 40 amp relay it is.
Somebody suggested running a 30 amp in the low beam and a 40 in the high beam.
I am running that Dorman 30 amp one I bought in the low beam connector.
See if I can find a 40 amp one for the high beams so I can replace the other one.
It is the original one and have to figure it is on the way out too. Looks just as crappy inside the clear housing as the one that stopped working.

Thanks for pointing out the difference in the Napa relay. Glad I did not order it now.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Bought new ice scrapers.
Gotta be 40 years ago my mom tells me she finds the best ice scraper ever.
Gets me one.
She was not kidding. Nothing compared.
Goes from car to car to car for over 20 years.
I lost it and kind of forgot about that style until about a week ago when one of the guys at work shows me his from about 40 years ago.
Sure enough I Google it and they are still around.
I just hope they are as good as I remember. LOL.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,793 Posts
Sweet find!

I have one that is probably 20+ years old. I Love mine. I also thought they were extinct. YOu know, they work too good. Gonna have to do a little googling mee self.

24581 - 24600 of 24635 Posts