Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

24701 - 24720 of 24731 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,073 Posts
^Yep what he said. But I would add, not just the ignition but ignition switch.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Finally was able to get to power washing all last October's Fluid Film off.
Just going to get under there and blow off as much water as I can.
And see all the sections I missed. LOL.
Last year I used the $15, with a coupon, electric sprayer from HF to spray the Purple Power underneath
everywhere. I must not have cleaned and oiled it good enough cause this year it did not want to work.
So I spent $10 with a coupon and bought this from HF. Worked pretty good for spraying the Purple Power.
And twisting it around to get up in tight places didn't stop it from spraying so that was pretty good.
Going to let the Jeep dry and tomorrow surgical apply Fluid Film to certain areas for the warmer months.
Also hoping to get to my annual check every bolt and nut that I can get at in case some decided to loosen up.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
I dont follow Ralph, what do you gain by washing fluid Film off?

·
Registered
874 Posts
I dont follow Ralph, what do you gain by washing fluid Film off?
Every piece of crap and whatnot that I have driven over since October has stuck to the Fluid Film.
Including that crap that they spray on the roads that has decided to attach itself to my Jeep.
All has to come off.
Unfortunately I never really get it all off. I am betting that there is still Fluid Film up in crevices from the
very first time I applied it 6 or 7 years ago. LOL.
Besides working underneath the Jeep in the warmer months with that stuff applied just makes everything
extremely messy.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
When can you come clean the underside of my jeep? I think theres still mud on places from before I bought it.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Hmmm, where do I put this?

Attachments

·
Registered
874 Posts
So I blew out the uni-body and the supports for my running boards to get that last bit of water out.
That and all the other places that I am going to surgically apply Fluid Film or a combination of PB Blaster and Fluid Film.
Letting it dry just a little more crawled all over under the Jeep putting a wrench or socket to every nut and bolt I could get at.
Nothing loose.
The uni-body and running board supports will just get a light film of Fluid Film. Plus all my bushings.
The E-Brake Adjustment get a liberal PB Blasting and Fluid Filming. Really hate that it is out in the open like that.
Leaf spring bolts, control arm bolts, shocks bolts, and any other ones that I even think I might even touch get PB Blaster sealed
in with Fluid Film also.
So if and when I get to the suspension I will have PB Blasted for years.
Not a measly week or 2 like you guys do. LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I swear if Ralph ever sells his cherokee I’ll be there with cash before you can say “free fluid film!” Definitely an extreme attention to maintenance and detail.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Got my Napier Flats on today. (Well, finished today. Took a few. Longer than I anticipated, but lots of painting involved too, including the flares. )

·
Registered
874 Posts
I swear if Ralph ever sells his cherokee I’ll be there with cash before you can say “free fluid film!” Definitely an extreme attention to maintenance and detail.
Thank you. I try.
I keep on telling you guys that my Jeep is not in as good shape as you guys seem to think it is though.
The bottom of both my passenger side doors are rusting. The clear coat above the door handles on both those doors is peeling also.
Behind my rear passenger side fender flare there is rust which I POR 15'ed awhile back. More then enough left for
the fender flare to still bolt to and hide.
I am noticing bubbling in my paint in a small section of the roof and also my driver's side rocker.
Everything I do is part of my "Rust Retardation" Program. I would love to call it my "Rust Prevention" Program but that
would be a lie. Like we all say. "Rust never sleeps". I am just trying to slow down the inevitable.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Looks good

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
874 Posts
About 6 years ago I swapped over to synthetic gear oil in my diffs. I use the Valvoline VV975.
So I figured I would swap the gear oil out. Figure about 18K on it.
Instead of opening up the diff I used the suction tool we sell at the store.
I was able to get 2 quarts out. Figure capacity is 2.2 quarts so.....
I used a diff/gear oil RTV when I swapped over 6 years ago. Wish I had known about the LubeLockers back then though.
So I learned a couple things. I am going to have to buy a clamp to secure the hose. Cause it kept on sliding off.
The hose is just a little big so I am going to see if I can get a reducer, use smaller hose, and clamp to make it easier to
get down in there and maybe suck out just a little more when I do this next time.
Thinking once every 5 years. If I ever go back into that diff though I am definitely using a LubeLocker. LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
874 Posts
Just swapped out the transfer case fluid. Red as could be. Thinking I am going to a 5 year swap instead of 2.
Going to get my tranny fluid swapped to but thinking going to a 5 year swap on that too.
The Jeep spends more time in 4 wheel drive with me playing with it in the driveway then it does on the road. LOL.
I try put it in 4 wheel drive every once in awhile to keep the linkage moving and I back up and pull forward in the driveway a few times.
So few years back I put in a factory transfer case skid plate. My Jeep is just a DD so don't ask me why cause I don't know.
The one thing that I did not consider is that it extends past the drain plug on the transfer case. So of course all the fluid want to hit the skid
and splatter all over.
My landlord runs a landscaping business out behind the house. Has all these plastic flower pots back there. I mean there is like a zillion of them.
So this was my solution to guide the fluid into the drain pan.
Now let us see if I have the energy to swap out anti-freeze today.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Setup a pressurized water system in my Jeep for camping trips. Tank is removable everything else can roll up and be put under the seat. I need to get in there and clean up the hose runs from the tank to the pump.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Ralph, can you post a pic of your tcase skid? I want to compare with how mine is mounted. Downsy, does the tank affect how the seat folds down?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Very little. Once you put weight on it its level with the cargo area.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ralph, can you post a pic of your tcase skid? I want to compare with how mine is mounted.
First the disclaimer. For all I know this is backwards, rotated, and upside down from where it should be.
It never looked right to me.
Trying to find shots online was difficult cause you never really saw all that you needed.
Also I apologize for the shots but the flash on the little camera just goes off when it wants to and I have no idea
how to make it flash when it does not want to. I tried to light up a couple shots with a flash light.
First 3 are random ones off the internet that I tried to use as a guide that I saved to my computer.
Fourth is the tranny cross member. The two big round holes are towards the front. Pretty sure the holes were there so I just put in rivnuts.
Fifth is the uni-body. Left of the picture is the outer side. I think there was a hole there so I just put in a rivnut. I don't think I drilled it.
No idea how to make use of the second hole cause it really does not line up well with the inside part of the uni-body to drill a hole.
Sixth, seventh, and eighth. From the driver's side. From the rear. From the passenger side.
I checked from when I posted about the install and unfortunately did not give any details. Just said I did it and posted the last shot.
That is from the driver's side. Thing that also bugged me is the gap below the transfer case. I think it should be tighter. But....
The only thing that I can come up with is that I think a 242 hangs lower then a 231. But not sure. And also the best I can tell is there
is only one skid plate. Not one for a 231 and another for a 242.
I don't think I have it on right. Would love to know for sure.
If you need additional shots just ask and I will try.
Could you post some of yours?
Also anybody else that has one.
Please.

EDIT:
Somebody on another forum has a '01 with the Up Country Package and all the skids.
He is the original owner.
He was just saying how he bought it this week in '01. LOL.
New member there.
I asked him to post some detailed shots of the skid.
Hopefully he will come through.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Yours looks like mine, except I have selftappers in the unibody and regular bolts in the crossmember. My skid just hangs lower than I think it should. Might end up making a new one. I'll have to get a pic after work I guess.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yours looks like mine, except I have selftappers in the unibody and regular bolts in the crossmember. My skid just hangs lower than I think it should. Might end up making a new one. I'll have to get a pic after work I guess.
Hopefully that guy will come through cause if it is not on right, and I suspect it is not, I want to correct it.

24701 - 24720 of 24731 Posts