Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

24721 - 24740 of 24740 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
So I went to the store for supplies and to rig up the suction pump.
I have one of those Harbor Freight pumps. Don't really like it much. Kinda awkward to work with IMO.
But I remembered the orange hose on it. So the orange hose fits in the clear hose.
So I bought one of these and shoved it in the orange hose.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NTH90552?keywordInput=90552

Shoved all that into the clear hose and and used a clamp.
Figure with the splicer the hoses won't collapse under the clamp.
I have gotten in the habit of using fuel injection clamps instead of hose clamps.
Put one on the other end of the clear tube to keep it from coming off the suction pump.
So the orange being smaller should fit better in the 8.25 fill hole.
But the fill hole on the D30 is smaller so I am about to find out if it will fit in there. LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
So the front diff oil looked pretty much like the rear.
Orange hose worked out OK and was able to suck out about 37 ounces.
So seeing how capacity is about 40 ounces that is pretty good.
Refilled the diff, buttoned her up, and now on to the tranny fluid.
After a break. LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
So I almost forgot to take a picture of used oil in a drain pan.
Poured some out of the waste container just to take a picture for you guys.
Know how much you guys like pictures. LOL.
So just a shade over 3 quarts came out of the tranny.
It looks less red then I hoped it would seeing how there is only about 6K on it.
Was thinking about swapping tranny and transfer case fluid every 5 years instead of every 2.
Now not so sure. At least about the tranny.
Transfer case was so red I could have reused it. MLOL.
So I figure I will throw in 3 quarts, break down everything, take a shower, and go see the guys at the
garage that I give my waste oil to.
Checking once it gets nice and hot, probably add a little here and there, and get it to the level that I like.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Added this a couple of days ago. Got my high lift mounted on my tire carrier. Once I build my roof rack I plan on moving it there. Yes it sticks above my roof line. I have the 54 inch jack because I use it with the equipment on our farm. I don't plan on leaving it on the rear mount full time. I keep it in the garage unless I need it or I go wheeling.

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
So I got my anti-freeze swapped out today. Dropping the lower hose gives you about 2 gallons.
So there is a gallon still in there. Why I do it every other year.
And why I installed an Ext Idle switch so I could keep the RPM's at 1000 when burping out all the air.
Oh and my landlord takes the old anti-freeze and uses it.
Don't know in what and don't care. Hey I don't have to dispose of it. LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
Ever since I extended my rear diff breather to the front of the Jeep I have
been meaning to cap off the white nipple in the uni-body.
Not really sure why. I just keep forgetting. Probably been a couple years now.
Finally did it today.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Your landlord probably goes over and dumps it into his vehicle. Two years old for coolant is brand new. Of course time is really a bad unit to measure fluid condition with. It depends on how much its driven and how, with heat cycles and such being factors. I dont think my jeep would know what to do with new fluid on the trans or diffs lol. Although diffs are on my list soon.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Your landlord probably goes over and dumps it into his vehicle. Two years old for coolant is brand new. Of course time is really a bad unit to measure fluid condition with. It depends on how much its driven and how, with heat cycles and such being factors. I dont think my jeep would know what to do with new fluid on the trans or diffs lol. Although diffs are on my list soon.
That is the thing. I drive the Jeep so little that keeping track of maintenance is easier using time.
When I change my oil twice a year there is probably only 1500 miles on each oil change.
But it has been subjected to short trips over a 6 month period for that 1500 miles.
Cause of the way I use the Jeep it actually falls into the Schedule B Category in my FSM.
More a Severe Duty category.
And as far as the anti-freeze goes that is just plain green. Not some Long Life Extended stuff.
Couple that with a an '00 with a 0331 head. Yeah for the $10 it costs me every other year.
I can live with that. LOL.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Today I cleaned the wheels/tires and rotated them. Rotate them once a year. Figure about 3K on the rotation.
To bad the Jeep is still dirty. LOL.
About 6 years ago I put the McGard lug nuts on my Jeep.
Sorry for the crappy pictures but I was trying to show you guys how they are rusting a little.
These shots are a fair representation of what they all look like.
Thing is the caps are not rusting and that is all you really see when on the Jeep. And they are way better then other options I have tried.
Been thinking about buying a package of 4 and then start defecting them all through McGard. Hey they do come with a lifetime warranty.
You have send in yours, what do you do for lug nuts (MLOL), so I figure I will defect 4 at a time.
See what kind of hoops they make me jump through.
Another thing that I do which I kind of thought was a waste of time was hit the inside of the wheel with some silicone spray.
I figured it would just wash off with the first rain. Crap sticks to it but ends up wiping pretty clean with a rag so.....
Since I have full size matching spare that is included in my rotation.
The white letters I had turned in when I bought the tires. I like the look but as soon as I damage a letter on a curb it would just annoy me so....
The tires have about 18K on them and are wearing very evenly and look pretty good. They are a 60K tire. They will be past there date code and dry rotted
before I even get close to that.

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
So yesterday beat me up pretty good. Figure I would do something easier today.
Detailed the interior. She is usually pretty clean. Not like when I was younger and practically lived in my vehicles.
Empty beer bottles, empty take out containers, empty coffee cups, empty packs of Camel Non-Filters, etc. LOL
I used to pull up to the garbage can in a commuter parking lot every once in awhile and just shovel everything out.
So if I can get the outside of the Jeep done that will be it for maintenance. Weather has been crappy so I am behind schedule.
Not that I have a schedule but am usually already done and putzing around with my little projects by now.
The only thing left is spark plugs but I am going to swap them out and combine that with installing my 155 amp alternator,
getting the old battery cables that are still zip tied in there out, and doing the Viper Coil Mod.
So not that you can see or smell but some obligatory pictures of a shiny nice smelling interior.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Ralph you mentioned the McGard lug nuts - when I did brakes on the TJ couple weekends ago, one of the McGard nuts on there shattered when trying to remove it. Took the key out with it, the pattern was all messed up and it couldn’t be used anymore. I had to pound an old socket onto the remaining keyed lugs and the broken one to get em off. Just FYI.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Ralph you mentioned the McGard lug nuts - when I did brakes on the TJ couple weekends ago, one of the McGard nuts on there shattered when trying to remove it. Took the key out with it, the pattern was all messed up and it couldn’t be used anymore. I had to pound an old socket onto the remaining keyed lugs and the broken one to get em off. Just FYI.
I don't run the wheel locks. Just the lug nuts.
But I do have some. Stole them off a '95 Grand Cherokee that we used to use for deliveries at the store. When the owner junked the Jeep he said I could have at it. LOL.
Really did not know why I took them until I started toying with the idea of trying to put the factory '96 down tire carrier on my '00. Figure use them for lug nuts on that.

My old boss at the store runs those lugs that require a "key" to get off all of them. They have splines or something. He was rotating his tires on his Dodge Diesel and broke one.
He knows his shit when it comes to mechanics. But said even he had the "oh oh moment" and the "slack jawed" look for a second when it happened.
And if you knew him you would know how funny that is cause he is that good. LOL.
Of course there was also the time he was doing a rear disc brake job on his father's Dodge Diesel Dualie and could not get the rotors off.
Said he hammered on them things for 2 hours as they came off in pieces.
Said he felt like a damn amateur. MLOL.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Got the WJ running again this weekend chasing down the no-power issue. Cleaned some grounds, reseated the positive battery terminal on the cables, had the battery tested, cracked the alternator connections. Magically it’s all fine again. So I went ahead and replaced the front speakers. Yay no more rattling crackling speakers

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I went wheeling this weekend. Got a solid half-day in before giving up on draggin my diffs through the mud, so I hopped in with my buddies. I managed to wrap my tailpipe around my axle so I yanked the muffler and pipe off.

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
got a set of 4 jk rims WITH rubber for 100 bucks from the local jeep guy. they are winter tires and not very agressive at all, but thats good since im on stock suspension right now xD its a tight fit for sure. Bonus pictures of my lady next to a bronco at the same jeep shop (older pic sorry)

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
So I washed the Jeep. Compounded the Jeep. Hit all the trim with the Armor All stuff. RainX'ed the front, back, and both front door windows.
I will have to wax it another day. I'm beat.
Also out with the old and in with the new.

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
Needed a break. About 2/3 done with waxing the Jeep.
Now I can get back to my little projects once this is done.
This is about as good as I am going to get it.

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
So now that except for some quickie things maintenance is done I can start on a real project.
Everything in the way came out pretty easy. Now the fun starts. Supposed to be nice for the next 3 days.
Hopefully. LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
So this is going faster then I thought it would. And I take numerous breaks.
Alternator is out, that I knew would be easy, but the old battery cables are out to.
I kinda thought that was going to take a little work but.....
There is this bracket the battery cable to the starter and the brown wire for the
connector on the starter go through under the oil filter adapter. I can't get a good look
at it to see how it is secured in there. But I straightened the 90 degree lug to the starter
a bit and was able to pull the cable through. I wanted to avoid cutting it if I could. They
may look like crap but they still worked. LOL.
So I realized I don't have everything I need. I need some loom to wrap up some of the small
wires that were in the battery cable harness and I noticed the bolt holes in the head where the
coil rail mounts. Thinking going to buy some short ones in the same size and bolt them in. Just
to close the exposed holes so crap doesn't get down in there. Figure a lot of anti-seize on those.
Also my parts catalog does not give me a size so.........

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yesterday I put a low profile USB outlet in the passenger side cubbie. This will let me power my nav tablet easier and give my wife some place to power her gizmos when on the road.

This morning I got up cause the dogs wouldnt stop barking and decied to go clean up my center console secondary radio spot install. I routed the SAE connector in and slapped a grommet on it, this will power up any of my radios. Then put all the APRS stuff in there and Routed all the cabling for that and stowed it behind the rear support for the console.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

24721 - 24740 of 24740 Posts