Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

24761 - 24780 of 24837 Posts

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Well as usual I got carried away and didn't check last night, sorry Ralph. I have a fresh 160amp durango alternator and new cables. I know at idle with some things on (low heat, CB, stereo) voltage looks fine at regular idle speeds. My idle is kinda screwed up right now, but I can do some more checking later in terms of what is turned on or off. The 160amp durango alt has a 7groove pulley instead of a 6, but I think if I remember right it is the same diameter or pretty close to stock. I didn't have any issues so I didn't care I guess.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Well as usual I got carried away and didn't check last night, sorry Ralph. I have a fresh 160amp durango alternator and new cables. I know at idle with some things on (low heat, CB, stereo) voltage looks fine at regular idle speeds. My idle is kinda screwed up right now, but I can do some more checking later in terms of what is turned on or off. The 160amp durango alt has a 7groove pulley instead of a 6, but I think if I remember right it is the same diameter or pretty close to stock. I didn't have any issues so I didn't care I guess.
No worries.
I think I read that swapping the pulley is not necessary with the 160 amp Durango upgrade. Just don't use the most outside rib on the pulley I think.
If this doesn't pan out maybe that will be my next attempt. The 160 amp from the 5.9 Durango. Best I can tell from my research as far as wiring goes it is
plug and play. Not fitting that is a whole different story. But being the Craigslist and Ebay stalker that I am I came across this:

JEEP CHEROKEE XJ LARGE BODY DENSO - auto parts - by owner - vehicle...

Now you can tell from the picture that is the type of wiring hook up you would see in a '98 and down XJ. They changed in '99.
But no idea what that alternator is from though. 136 amp GC one maybe?
The reason I tried to do it this way was to avoid grinding.
I am OK with grinding the bracket. Even scoffed a spare bracket to grind so I could do it out of the Jeep. It is grinding the block/timing cover that if you read enough threads a guy here and there said he had to do.
Why I went with my bright idea instead.
All I keep hearing is my buddy in my head saying "How did that work out for you?" LOL.
Might contact that guy and see if he knows if the 5.9 Durango one will also work with his set up.
I posted an shot of the adapter in case the link dies.

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
So since the alternator upgrade has taken a turn for the worse and it is going to rain a little later figured I would mess
with the factory tranny cooler that I scoffed from the boneyard awhile back from a '99 to try and put in the '00.

I started a thread cause I just want to verify a few things before I flush it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I'd skip the bulky adapter kit and just remove, grind, and refurb the existing brackets. Seems simpler to me. Less parts means less to worry about. Yes the durango alt is plug n play. No questions or uncertainty there. Trust me.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'd skip the bulky adapter kit and just remove, grind, and refurb the existing brackets. Seems simpler to me. Less parts means less to worry about. Yes the durango alt is plug n play. No questions or uncertainty there. Trust me.
I am OK with grinding the bracket. But if you poke around enough about this like I said you will find a guy here and there that reports having to grind the block a smidge.
Which I don't understand why it seems most guys don't but you find a guy here and there who had to.
Trying to figure out what might be going on with these select unlucky few.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I am OK with grinding the bracket. But if you poke around enough about this like I said you will find a guy here and there that reports having to grind the block a smidge.
Which I don't understand why it seems most guys don't but you find a guy here and there who had to.
Trying to figure out what might be going on with these select unlucky few.
I think the guys that say they had to "grind the block" are just confused and don't realize there are two bracket pieces, one being attached to the block, and they just didn't remove it. No one should actually be grinding the engine block.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I think the guys that say they had to "grind the block" are just confused and don't realize there are two bracket pieces, one being attached to the block, and they just didn't remove it. No one should actually be grinding the engine block.
Took some doing but I found one guy that said he had to.

·
Registered
949 Posts
So looks like my last act of putzing around today before it rains was dealing with this.
I found it in the trash at work awhile back. It is one of those truck bed boxes that are hinged. You can flip it out towards the tailgate.
Lido way back when made boxes for the cargo area of the XJ's. Some say Jeep. Some say Lido. But they are all made by Lido.
You see the passenger side ones from time to time for sale. I have never seen the driver's side one for sale though.
So I took off all the hinge crap wondering if this will fit.
Thinking not. Compared to a passenger side Lido box I have.
The Lido box does not go all the way to the back of the seat but still think the other one is at least a couple inches to long still.
Next time I have my spare out I will see how it looks but thinking it will end up back in the trash. LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
So I drove the Jeep around to check the AC. Figure about 82 degrees on the ambient temp and saw about 44 degrees on my thermometer.
So I get back and throw the gauge set on and it is a little lower then I would like to see it.
So I gave it a bump and got it here. The temperature had reached 85 degrees by this point.
Also got the Lock-Ease in the locks, squirted some Chain and Cable lube down the cable to open the hood from the
bellcrank end, and some White Lithium everywhere else for the hood hinges and whatnot.
Oh and per a forum members suggestion hit the windows with a second coat of Rain-X.
It is hot, I am tired and tomorrow it is supposed to rain so I am calling it for till at least Saturday. LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
From time to time I get compliments on how clean my Jeep is. While I enjoy the support as I have told you guys not exactly as clean as you think.
With rain today and tomorrow figured I would see if I could deal with some of that. Awhile back I picked up 4 black doors for $100 local to me off Craigslist.
Not perfect but kind of in better shape then mine. So some shots of my rear passenger door which is one of the sore points on the Jeep.
So while in better shape rust wise not so much paint wise. I always wanted to take apart a door completely.
So I am going to putz around with that. They cut the harness and hinge. To bad cause who doesn't like spare parts. LOL.
I have taken rear windows out and a front door regulator and glass but that is about it. So this will be a learning experience.
Once apart I will see how much I can clean up the door and bring back the paint. And go from there.
First 3 shots are my door on the Jeep. Rest are the one I bought.

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
So in case anybody is interested a rear door comes apart pretty easy. Learned a couple things and had 1 oh oh moment.
So if you are replacing a rear regulator and the window is stuck up you can move it around enough after unbolting the regulator to drop the window enough to get at the torx
holding it to the regulator with a wobbly extension. Also if replacing an actuator it is easier to unhook the lock rod to the door handle on the actuator
instead of the door handle. And when you take off the door handle pulling the lock rod through attached is not a problem.
That is the lower hinge. I stripped one torx so had to cut the head off and the other just snapped.
The plate just hooks on a couple hooks in the door. You can see the one oblong hole. My thumb is covering the other.
The top hinge came right off. And I was trying to see if they were the same. Problem is that there is a runner for the window
that is part of the door so it is not letting you unhook the plate. So I can't get it out. I checked my parts catalog and best I can
tell they don't even list the part so I can't tell that way. But the shim plate is the same top and bottom so it might be. And it does
look the same so if you could find a door to cut up you could get the top to replace the bottom one.
At least it being out of the Jeep might make it easier to undo my mistake.
Last you have to look close but you can see the little rust pin points that formed under the window molding.

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
So I take back not being happy about the wiring harness being cut. Still wish they did not cut the hinges though.
Having pigtails made it easier to check the regulator and actuator to see if they worked.
They appear too.
Anybody ever take apart an actuator to refresh it?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
Nice work. I have never taken an actuator apart cause I thought they were riveted.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Nice work. I have never taken an actuator apart cause I thought they were riveted.
I don't know how much you can take apart but in the brass plate that the 3 torx
which secure the actuator to the door there are 2 Phillips head screws.
Maybe I will get daring and take one apart.
But not today. Packing it in. LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
So yesterday I got those broken bolts out of that hinge plate and let the plate soak in some Evapo-Rust.
Oh and in case anybody is interested they are a M8 with an 1.25 thread pitch. I read that some guys just
use regular bolts so.........

Today I got all the double sided tape residue off the door from the molding and the strip inside that is
on the rear door between that and the front door. I can't tell you guys enough how much I like the
3M 08984 adhesive cleaner I use. Not cheap but.......

So I guess I will give the door a good washing and figure out what to do next.

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
So I figured after I washed and dried the door and before I start to deal with the rust on her would try an experiment.
So this is the door as is.

I taped off a section.

I forgot to clay the section. I have that Mother's kit. I even researched if you could put up the clay bar after you opened it and used it a little.
You can. Just spray it with the lubricant and put it in an air tight container.
Anyway with the crappy Turtle Wax products we sell in the store that I use and have on hand. The polishing compound toned it down some but not enough.
So I hit it with the rubbing compound which did a much better job. Then hit it with the liquid wax.
Could not get a good shot for some reason but if you look close.

My buddy in AZ told me what he thinks I should do. All Mequiars stuff. Clay first, the fine cut cleaner, the swirl remover, some glaze, and last their paste wax.
Have to see how much of the smaller rust issues I can deal with first so plenty of time to overthink this. LOL.
Not a show car. I just don't want the doors to stand out if I do put them on. Not to mention the $50 in materials. MLOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
So today we are going to putz around with the door some more. Rust on the inside.
Instead of sanding and wire brushing I decided to try something a little less invasive.
So the Evapo-Rust I like comes in a gel too. Just like naval jelly. But without being harmful to paint.

So I figure we will use that in the areas in pictures 2 and 3.
Naval jelly inside the door in shot 4. And see how we make out.

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
So they say to leave it on for an hour or 2. Maybe longer if necessary. And also do it again if necessary.
They also say that if it hardens a soft brush and water is all you need.
After a 1/2 hour.

So I figure at about 1 1/2 hours I will do the naval jelly on the inside cause they say only about 15 minutes on that.
At 2 hours wash it off and see where I stand.

So in the mean time figure I would putz around with another project. I want the wood grain door panels. But in Camel they are
not 2 tone like mine. All Camel. So somebody used this to paint interior pieces. It is called Chrysler Agate. But I think it
will not be black enough to match what my not Limited 2 tone door panels look like. Hey I have extra parts so I can try it though.

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
So I gotta tell you as somebody who literally has the worst rattle can skills on the planet the stuff lays down nice.
I mean my skills are so bad that my friend says I should not be allowed to operate any rattle can containing any kind of paint. LOL.
Followed the instructions. Misted the first 2 coats and went a little more on the last too.

But as I feared not dark enough to match the insets on my two tone door panels.
And I don't think I can live with it but this was expected so....

And if I find something to use I will be painting the inset while on the door panel so it won't be quite as simple.
So think I will go roaming around the SEM site and see what I come up with.

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
So after 2 hours the gel toned it down but some rust is still there.
Before and after.

This one kinda looks worse and better at the same time.
Still before and after. Shots 3 and 4.

The naval jelly worked and also did not really work. 5 and 6.

I did not do a before shot here but not noticing any difference. Shot 7.

So the naval jelly is old. My buddy gave it to me sometime ago and it was not new. And it stays liquid so it can run.
The Evapo-Rust does not. I am blaming some of this on user error.
Plus I think some got on the outer panel of the door and actually brought out some rust spots at the bottom edge.
I can't get a clear enough picture to show you.
So I redid a couple small sections and the outside of the door at the bottom.
Literally going to let it dry and sit overnight. Thinking while the door can be saved not by me.
Thinking go gut the driver's door and drag them down to see my guy to see what he thinks.

Attachments

24761 - 24780 of 24837 Posts