Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

24821 - 24840 of 24897 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Awe yeah buddy! Veddy nice!
I see how stuffed the rear is, how is the front? I have the same size tire and the front rubs when stuffed on turns.
Fronts are ok, if really stuffed and turned to lock, will just rub the inner fender. I may be able to still pound it in a little more.
Rear definitely needs a couple inches bump stop added. The stock rear bumpstops were totally rusted out and bolts broken off so I’ll have to see what I can do.

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
You can get extended bump stops for the rear, I did and also added a 3/8" thick steel plate on top of my leaf spring mount.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I couldn't deal with the seat cause the humidity is too high to use the rust converter stuff on those parts I let soak in the Evapo-Rust.
So I decided to flush that tranny cooler I picked up awhile back.
I used that Kooler Kleen with the brake line that I showed you guys awhile back.
Didn't notice anything weird come out of it so I am going to take that as a good sign.
Then thinking it was going to sit for awhile before I actually installed it got the bright idea to fill it with tranny fluid.
So I attached a couple hoses, stuck one end in a quart of tranny fluid, and used my vacuum tester/brake bleeder to draw fluid through it from the other hose.
Capped off with a couple bolts and hose clamps.
Blew out all the lines that I took from the donor Jeep with my compressor and taped off the ends.
Don't see me using any of them but figure hold onto them anyway.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
You can get extended bump stops for the rear, I did and also added a 3/8" thick steel plate on top of my leaf spring mount.

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
I couldn't deal with the seat cause the humidity is too high to use the rust converter stuff on those parts I let soak in the Evapo-Rust.
So I decided to flush that tranny cooler I picked up awhile back.
I used that Kooler Kleen with the brake line that I showed you guys awhile back.
Didn't notice anything weird come out of it so I am going to take that as a good sign.
Then thinking it was going to sit for awhile before I actually installed it got the bright idea to fill it with tranny fluid.
So I attached a couple hoses, stuck one end in a quart of tranny fluid, and used my vacuum tester/brake bleeder to draw fluid through it from the other hose.
Capped off with a couple bolts and hose clamps.
Blew out all the lines that I took from the donor Jeep with my compressor and taped off the ends.
Don't see me using any of them but figure hold onto them anyway.
I'm gonna have too pick me up some of that vapo rust. Seems like good shit.
There is a you tube channel, project farm, who test a bunch of different products. Stuff like wd-40 oil drill bits and so kinda stuff.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'm gonna have too pick me up some of that vapo rust. Seems like good shit.
There is a you tube channel, project farm, who test a bunch of different products. Stuff like wd-40 oil drill bits and so kinda stuff.
I love the stuff. And like the idea that you can use it over and over till it turns pitch black. It will take longer to do its thing though. Also don't mix used stuff with new stuff.
I do help it along though when I am soaking stuff. Take what is in there and give it a quick wire brushing to help it along.
Stuff is also biodegradable, non toxic, and says right on the container safe for skin and eyes.
Considering all that I am amazed it works as well as it does. LOL.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Been meaning to show you guys my new, to me, drill press.
Stopped by my buddies house and we were just catching up.
Happen to mention I am keeping my eye out for a used bench drill press.
Or even one of those things you can attache a drill too.
For the 4 times in my life it might come in handy.
Was telling him I was thinking about buying the cheap Harbor Freight one
with the gift card from the 6 ton jack stand recall.
He goes you want one? I don't need it. I have a floor one.
It is not even the cheap HF one but the next one up.
Had to buy a chuck key, never realized they come in different sizes, and thinking
about buying a machinist vice for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
Good score! And I do recommend the vise!
Do know that the machinist vice at Harbor Freight looks like it does not work with their drill presses?
At least that is what I think I am reading in the reviews.
What is up with that?
Home Depot sells one and somebody asked if it would fit the exact model mine is.
And a few people answered that it does so I am just going to go with that one. LOL.
Oh and it is cheaper then the HF one but the Home Depot one will cost about $1 more
after the 20% off coupon at HF.

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
I have a craftsman bench top drill press, and the harbor freight vise doesn't fit. it's actually to big for the shelf. But I can still use it to hold small parts and just use my left hand to hold the vise and my right hand to work the drill press.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
I picked up a vise at an antique store and its a bit big for my drillpress too. I can still get clamps on it though, so no worries.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
There is another idea.
Thinking I already have the clamps to do that if I have to.
Wait, how do you normally use a vise on a DP? (Serious question.)

Every vise and drillpress combo I have ever seen or used had a vise I could use, but it had to be clamped. Most use visegrips of one shape or another, but some have a nicer clamping method. Either way works and is quick to remove or add the vise. Leaving the vise loose is just as dangerous as freehanding the part being drilled.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Wait, how do you normally use a vise on a DP? (Serious question.)

Every vise and drillpress combo I have ever seen or used had a vise I could use, but it had to be clamped. Most use visegrips of one shape or another, but some have a nicer clamping method. Either way works and is quick to remove or add the vise. Leaving the vise loose is just as dangerous as freehanding the part being drilled.
This is all new to me but I just figured you bolt it down.
There are holes every where.
This is the one I think I am going to buy.

And this is the drill press my buddy gave me.

I am thinking the slots let you move it around so you just have to loosen it.
And also thinking carriage bolts maybe.

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
Yes the vise bolts to the base. Carriage bolts will lock in the slots. You can use wing nuts so you don't always gotta grab a wrench

·
Registered
989 Posts
So I used some of that rust converter stuff, Duplicolor Rust Fix, and it did turn what little bit of rust left that was black yesterday.
Waited the 24 hours and painted it today. Just used some primer, black paint, and clear coat (no idea why I clear coated it)
that I had around.
Let it dry, then get the seat cleaned up best I can, and get my seat cover on it.
Maybe tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Found my exhaust leak(s) was expecting to find a crack in the exhaust header. Becuase Jeep. But looks like its just the gasket. Ill stow the old header away for the future. The header and gasket i pulled off went on about a year and a half ago.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
989 Posts
So today I put the lower part of that back seat that I have been working on back together.
Cleaned it the best I could, put my seat cover back on, and put it back in the Jeep.
So the little plastic pieces on the legs come off pretty easy. You just pop out the plug with a door panel tool.
You do have to work the lever through the slot on the one side but not really a problem.
I thought it was cool how the plugs interlock to secure the plastic to the legs.
Oh if you ever do this don't play with the plugs and put them together by themselves.
They are a pain to get apart when you have nothing to pry against. LOL.

Attachments

24821 - 24840 of 24897 Posts