Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

24861 - 24880 of 24897 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
I am assuming you top coated the trailer.
I didn't top coated anything cause it has all been under the Jeep.
So turning an ashy grey is not a concern.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
I am assuming you top coated the trailer.
I didn't top coated anything cause it has all been under the Jeep.
So turning an ashy grey is not a concern.
The trailer has several different products/layers on it. For anyone who doesn't want to check the build thread, heres the rundown:
trailer was sandblasted
washed with POR metalprep
POR15 applied to tonque, axle, leafsprings, fenders, and underside of tub. (2 coats)
Topcoat applied over that stuff. (except fenders)
Magnet Paints Chassis saver on the rest of the tub, then scuffed
Magnet Paints Monstaliner applied over chassis saver.

Only issues in the last 4 years are monstaliner coming off due to abuse and lack of scuffing on my part. All the POR spots are spotless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So looks like my last act of putzing around today before it rains was dealing with this.
I found it in the trash at work awhile back. It is one of those truck bed boxes that are hinged. You can flip it out towards the tailgate.
Lido way back when made boxes for the cargo area of the XJ's. Some say Jeep. Some say Lido. But they are all made by Lido.
You see the passenger side ones from time to time for sale. I have never seen the driver's side one for sale though.
So I took off all the hinge crap wondering if this will fit.
Thinking not. Compared to a passenger side Lido box I have.
The Lido box does not go all the way to the back of the seat but still think the other one is at least a couple inches to long still.
Next time I have my spare out I will see how it looks but thinking it will end up back in the trash. LOL.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So looks like my last act of putzing around today before it rains was dealing with this.
I found it in the trash at work awhile back. It is one of those truck bed boxes that are hinged. You can flip it out towards the tailgate.
Lido way back when made boxes for the cargo area of the XJ's. Some say Jeep. Some say Lido. But they are all made by Lido.
You see the passenger side ones from time to time for sale. I have never seen the driver's side one for sale though.
The Lido box does not go all the way to the back of the seat but still think the other one is at least a couple inches to long still.
Next time I have my spare out I will see how it looks but thinking it will end up back in the trash. LOL.
please do not throw that away! I actually have been trying to find that! Can we chat?

·
Registered
4 Posts
ralph 77 please don’t throw it away. I’ve been looking for that part. Can we chat/make a deal on it?

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
So finally got the exhaust fixed, to only find that I have a fairly serious transmission leak. I get the transmission leak fixed, only to find a healthy coolant leak. I got tired of looking for the exact culprit and spent some money on a solid pump and got elbows deep in her today. You can't see it all too well, but I had a belt shred on me in Sedona, and there are strips of the metal from the belt all wound up at the base of the pump pulley shaft. It is the original pump, and at 240,000 miles: I figure it was wise to just replace it. It could have been the weep hole, or just a blown gasket.

I wonder what joy I will find once this one is fixed?!?!? I just want to go fishing damn it!

Reactions: XJSuperman

·
Registered
989 Posts
please do not throw that away! I actually have been trying to find that! Can we chat?
If you are talking about my Lido box there is no way I am going to throw that away.
Not looking to part with it either. At least not yet.
I was talking about that truck bed over the wheel well swing out box I found in the garabage.
If that does not fit then that will get tossed right back where I found it. LOL.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are talking about my Lido box there is no way I am going to throw that away.
Not looking to part with it either. At least not yet.
I was talking about that truck bed over the wheel well swing out box I found in the garabage.
If that does not fit then that will get tossed right back where I found it. LOL.
Whew! I thought you were throwing away the lido! I apologize buddy!

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Cleaned the garage, popped in the Jeep, jacked up, and shot some PB blaster at it. Yanked the shackles, pulled the skid-hitch, and cleaned up some spots with a wirebrush and some primer. Then I cut a hole in the unibody.........so I nee dto patch it tonight. It was a rusty thin spot. Tonight I also will paint, POR15, and begin reassembly. Hopefully finish so I can compare pinion angle and lift height. I may not make it out of the garage because it could be too tall.
Angle values:
pinion 9.5 deg
driveshaft 15.5 for a difference of 6 degrees. Hoping to maintain that and avoid shims.
spring plate leaning 1 deg forward

HD Offroad Engineering shackle relocators going in, and the last BPE.

·
Registered
989 Posts
So pretty much been a bum for the last week. Haven't touched the Jeep.
So today I figured I would work on my getting something I want.
2 tone Limited Camel door panels with the fake wood grain.
The not Limited Camel panels in my Jeep are 2 tone.
I like them.
Unfortunately Limited Camel panels are not. So I am going to spray them.
Figured I would first see if I could mask them off well enough to try and get a decent job.
I took off the surround around the door handle. If you look at it through the back you will see six slots.
For the tabs that keep it in place. That and the one brass colored screw.
You pry away from the center in each slot after removing the screw.
Gently. 20 year old brittle plastic and all.
3 more to go. LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
So got the rest of the door panels all taped off. At least the tedious parts.
Got cover other things before I spray them.

The bezel around the handle/door lock comes off the same way on the fronts. Just no screw.
Saw something I did not like on the passenger door panel. So having extra parts I swapped it out for a better one.

What is left of that door panel after taking that piece.

Someday I will get them sprayed.

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
So while hot today the humidity is on the low side.
Figured I would get the rear door panels painted.
I knew I would need more paint to do all 4 but figured lets see how the 2
come out before I spend money on more paint.
They look OK but will know better when I remove all the tape.
I tried to mask off carefully and make sure to get down in around the edges.
We shall see but I am going to let them sit for a few days first.
Couple of the clips need to be replaced on each one.
I keep these things in "stock" but it took me forever to remember where I put them.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Changed the oil. With my busted leg not a lot I can do in the garage right now. I sat in the tub of the CJ5 and removed some more stuff.

Reactions: TgRamsey

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
I did a lot of driving the last couple days. Went to ohio and back to iowa in the jeep, over 1600 miles. No issues, thats a win in my book!

·
Registered
989 Posts
So IMO what Jeep should have done in the first place.
One homemade 2 tone Camel Limited Door Panel.

You really can't tell from the shot but it is not exactly the same color as my regular one.
Limited I painted on the left.

Also it will never shine quite lock the regular one.
But that is OK with me.
Maybe I should have hit it with some clearcoat.
One step closer to my Limited Clone interior. LOL.

Get the other rear one on today.
Still have to paint the fronts too.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
I wonder if products like armorall would shine it up?

·
Registered
989 Posts
I wonder if products like armorall would shine it up?
I use the Turtle Wax Super Protectant for the interior.
Put some on. Maybe it did a little.
I do have ArmorAll. Maybe I will give it a try on the piece that I test painted with.
All in all I am OK with it though.

24861 - 24880 of 24897 Posts