Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

24901 - 24920 of 24945 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
So..we are having a semi local event. Smokey mountain Jeep invasion, thinking of going. But when I started really looking into it it's mostly the new Jeep's jks, topless Jeep's. I dunno why the xj is to Jeep, like the 922 is to porsche, like the ugly duckling or family secret in the basement. Point being, I did not see many xjs on the video ads, like 2.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Because pictures of Cherokees and Grand Cherokees don't sell to the ignorant public like a topless jeep model does. Im sure they'll be there, but marketing pics will be heavily biased towards JKs and JLs, as will the crowd Im sure. Everybody can buy a JK/JL and order parts from 2 pages of a catalog. It takes more effort to build/maintain an XJ/ZJ/WJ. This is how most Jeep events are these days. My typical crowd drives TJ, YJ, CJ, and my XJ. Im damn near the only XJ in the club anymore, but when we get to a wheeling spot, guess whats there? A whole herd of Dumpsters! XJs are running the trails but skipping the parades and cruises and crap that the JK-dominated clubs like to do.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Because pictures of Cherokees and Grand Cherokees don't sell to the ignorant public like a topless jeep model does. Im sure they'll be there, but marketing pics will be heavily biased towards JKs and JLs, as will the crowd Im sure. Everybody can buy a JK/JL and order parts from 2 pages of a catalog. It takes more effort to build/maintain an XJ/ZJ/WJ. This is how most Jeep events are these days. My typical crowd drives TJ, YJ, CJ, and my XJ. Im damn near the only XJ in the club anymore, but when we get to a wheeling spot, guess whats there? A whole herd of Dumpsters! XJs are running the trails but skipping the parades and cruises and crap that the JK-dominated clubs like to do.
For real, that's what I thought. I really wanted to go cause the vendor list is fantastic, but don't want to get my feelings hurt over my rolling dumpster, that still kicks a$$ at 320,000 miles. No offense to anyone that owns and loves their jk/jl, but it seems like you said, 2 pages outta a catalog, some decals, and they are total douchebags, sorry for offense to anyone. It just makes me feel like a 2nd class Jeep owner sometimes

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
No,no your good. Only made it to the first page of my catalog so far. Funny how I buy a new grand, get bitched at cause I wanna lift it . Buy a JK lift and wheel it to the junkyard. Then I'm allowed to lift and wheel said WJ. Only to buy another wrongler.... my head is spinning

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
I apologize wjlizard, didn't mean nothing by it, by the way your white grand is awesome! I ain't going to lie, I have a special place in my heart for cj5s, considering my dad had 3 when I was coming up, the third a 78 I actually drove to high school. I would love to have a yj or TJ to beat the crap outta of, but I couldn't babydoll it out. All my dad's Jeep's were cold in the winter, wet when it rained, and liked to pitch fits in public, not start and embrass you in crowds. I know the new ones are Glamourous, but when I think Jeep ...I think suffer

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
No need for apologies at all...truth be told I like my WJS and XK better than the JL. I miss the Hell outta my JK but more of a sentimental miss. Had a lot of fun and liked to be able to rip the top off on a whim. Now I'm 45 with back and knee surgeries , 3 kids ,dog and a need to haul tow or travel to hunting camp. They just don't work as a multi- purpose family vehicle very well. As to the second rate Jeep citizen, get used to it cause we are. I'm cool with that. While their scrambling in the rain to put their tops up ,I just press the sunroof button;). Thank you on the kind words about the beast. She will ride again, at leastthat's what I keep telling myself😂

·
Super Moderator
10,448 Posts
I have been to my fairshare of Jeep events that were loaded with wranglers, pick a year, they were there. I don't consider myself a second class citizen, I built my "Jeep" for me and my taste. It doesn't matter what other people think, but I have won 2 second place trophies for the show in shine at the laurel highlands Jeep fest. ;)
It doesn't matter what you drive, build it the way you like and be proud of it. I've had JK owners on 37's chicken out of an obstacle I did on 33's. Just do you! Don't worry about the others.

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
I have been to my fairshare of Jeep events that were loaded with wranglers, pick a year, they were there...
Only to buy another wrongler....
the parades and cruises and crap that the JK-dominated clubs like to do....
They are just about the only f&#kers that never wave nor wave back.... head so far up their own arses... Now the YJ and TJ crowd wave and build their shitboxes. Very few JK and JL folks I know do their own building and fixing.. I just never understood why they don't. They could at least wave back... 🤬

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
So in an effort to be thorough in turning Camel Limited door panels into 2 tone ones like the regular Camel ones in my Jeep decided to try something.
I had couple insets that I was experimenting with for color and decided to use these for experimenting with clear coating them.
Reason for that is while I am pretty much OK with how they look maybe I can do better.
The regular 2 tone panels in my Jeep shine a little more so......
The black test piece is SEM 15013. The lighter one is this stuff.

The Agate did not work for me but figured since I still had the test piece experiment with the clear coat on it too.
OK so I did not use any adhesive promoter which might have been a mistake.
But I decided to see what would happen if I cleaned it with my 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner.
See the first shot.

Pretty much what I expected. LOL. Thinking though I can clean up the rear door panels I already did
and redo them if I decided to use some adhesion promoter.
So this is with some Duplicolor clear coats I had around.
DA 1692. Which is a general purpose clear coat. And some of that Perfect Match stuff. BCL0125.
So the second and fourth shot is with the BCL stuff. Third and fifth with the DA 1692.

So while you might not be able to see it I think the Perfect Match is a little more subdued and would be my choice out of the two.
But I want to try the Krylon Fusion Satin Clear Coat too before I decide.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,448 Posts
If you want the glossy shiney look, 3 and 5. The 2nd and 4th are "dull" if that's the right word. I'm not much for shiney things butt I do like the gloss better.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If you want the glossy shiney look, 3 and 5. The 2nd and 4th are "dull" if that's the right word. I'm not much for shiney things butt I do like the gloss better.
I am leaning towards the dull as you put it. Shots 2 and 4.
I think shots 3 and 5 are just a little too shiny
Decided it addition to trying the Krylon Satin Clear Coat going to buy their flat one too and try.
I am trying to duplicate the shine on the one on the right.
That is my original door panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Was thinking today I might putz around with that trailer hitch I bought.
Scoping it out a little closer looking at some of the rust on it.
Overall I think it is in pretty good shape though.

Oh and the pile of rust that came home with me from the boneyard and fell out while I was taking a closer look. LOL.

So I am just thinking I am going wire brush down the problem areas.
Maybe some Naval Jelly or must just pour Evapo-Rust right in the tubes.
Then hit it with something. Just the problem areas.
Thinking maybe some Eastwood Internal Frame Coating I have around for inside the tubes.
Rust Encapsulator or POR 15 for the other areas. Maybe I will just pour some POR 15 into the tubes
and let the excess drain out. I will figure out something.
But first I need mock this up. Have see how my running the 2 rear tow hooks and gas tank skid is going
to be effected by this. Figure no sense in doing all that if I am not going to use it.
I don't trailer things. Care more about my skid and tow hooks. LOL.
Of course it started raining just as soon as I get dressed and went to examine the hitch.
So all this gets put on hold.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,448 Posts
Went wheeling today, God it feels so good. Mmmmmmmm.

·
Super Moderator
10,448 Posts
And Fwiw, I'm happy with the drop brackets. Much smoother ride.

·
Super Moderator
10,448 Posts

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Attaboy Gluck, Im glad to see you getting out and enjoying yourself for a day.

·
Super Moderator
10,448 Posts
24901 - 24920 of 24945 Posts