Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

24981 - 25000 of 25004 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
Ralph, if your description is true, then I would be watching your tranny closely. That cooler is supposed to be sealed so coolant cannot get mixed into the tranny oil.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Ralph, if your description is true, then I would be watching your tranny closely. That cooler is supposed to be sealed so coolant cannot get mixed into the tranny oil.
That is a good point. I wish I knew exactly what it looked like in there.
I have seen the picture of the cooler itself, like I said before, in there but
not how that lower fitting with the big nut is attached to it.
Or the top one for that matter either.

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
Yes it does. Anytime the pump in the tranny is working, the fluid is circulating

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Yes it does. Anytime the pump in the tranny is working, the fluid is circulating
Well after you posted I sucked a little anti-freeze out of my overflow tank and it looks clean.
Popped the radiator cap and that looked OK.
My tranny fluid looked clean on the dip stick too.
Guess I will take a short ride Monday and check again.
And I guess I have to keep a closer eye on things for the foreseeable future.

Guessing coolant mixing with tranny fluid in the tranny would produce milkshake looking oil?
Like when coolant mixes with engine oil in the engine?
Like all the pictures I see of engine oil when a 0331 head in an '00 or '01 cracks.

If coolant were to get in the tranny how long do you think it would take to trash it?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Took a test run this morning.
One thing about my Jeep is the radiator cap. Or maybe how it goes on the radiator.
You have to get it on just right. Been like that since day one. But then again the aftermarket
radiator and caps have been on there since day one too.
Anyway after removing the cap to see if anti-freeze might be contaminated with tranny fluid
apparently I did not get it back on just so.
So my test run this morning was a waste of time cause anti-freeze was being pushed out from
under the cap.
No idea if the leak persists or not.
On positive note best I can tell tranny fluid and anti-freeze are not mixing with each other.
Yet. LOL.
Also I have had a new Mopar radiator cap in stock for quite sometime now.
Figured I would break it out and use it for the next test run.

EDIT: Oh I want to apologize for not showing you guys a picture of my shiny new Mopar radiator cap.
I know how much you guys like pictures. LOL.

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
:D

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
So the anti-freeze leak saga continues.
As a I said my aftermarket radiator cap has to be on just so on the aftermarket radiator.
I have always had to putz with it for a couple minutes but nothing like this.
The Mopar one was leaking out some when I got to work and when I left I repositioned it.
The cap the cap was leaking like a sieve when I got home.
Now remember I only live 1/2 mile from work so the Jeep was not fully warmed up.
So I shut her down.
Took the old cap, put a pair of pliers to it, and bent the tabs underneath a bit.
Well started her up, let her get to operating temperature and it was not leaking out of the cap.
So far so good.
I wonder if me doing that would effect the pressure specs of the cap but don't really think so.
When I shut her down I could here the anti-freeze gurgling into the overflow tank. And it did not overflow.
I actually think tightening that nut for the tranny cooler might have been the problem.
Figure dump a bunch of water down in there to clean up the anti-freeze.
Take a good ride on the way to work tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
10,612 Posts
So the anti-freeze leak saga continues.
As a I said my aftermarket radiator cap has to be on just so on the aftermarket radiator.
I have always had to putz with it for a couple minutes but nothing like this.
The Mopar one was leaking out some when I got to work and when I left I repositioned it.
The cap the cap was leaking like a sieve when I got home.
Now remember I only live 1/2 mile from work so the Jeep was not fully warmed up.
So I shut her down.
Took the old cap, put a pair of pliers to it, and bent the tabs underneath a bit.
Well started her up, let her get to operating temperature and it was not leaking out of the cap.
So far so good.
I wonder if me doing that would effect the pressure specs of the cap but don't really think so.
When I shut her down I could here the anti-freeze gurgling into the overflow tank. And it did not overflow.
I actually think tightening that nut for the tranny cooler might have been the problem.
Figure dump a bunch of water down in there to clean up the anti-freeze.
Take a good ride on the way to work tomorrow and see what happens.
It sounds like you got it fixed. Don't fret over the cap. The 2 tabs that secure it to the radiator neck are just that. To hold it tight. The actual "pressure" is created by the seal inside the fill neck. Which is held tight by a spring design to hold up 16 psi. Beyond 16psi and it should over flow into the reservoir. There is another seal and seat that works the opposite. As the engine cools, the pressure drops and the coolant is pulled back into the engine. This is called an open system because the pressure from the radiator over flows into the reservoir which is at atmospheric pressure. Or no pressure, depends on how technical you really want to be.
But the renix system is a closed system because the reservoir is the same pressure as the cooling system. So if your plastic overflow (resevoir) gets hard and and cracks you gonna push out your coolant.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
It sounds like you got it fixed. Don't fret over the cap. The 2 tabs that secure it to the radiator neck are just that. To hold it tight. The actual "pressure" is created by the seal inside the fill neck. Which is held tight by a spring design to hold up 16 psi. Beyond 16psi and it should over flow into the reservoir. There is another seal and seat that works the opposite. As the engine cools, the pressure drops and the coolant is pulled back into the engine. This is called an open system because the pressure from the radiator over flows into the reservoir which is at atmospheric pressure. Or no pressure, depends on how technical you really want to be.
But the renix system is a closed system because the reservoir is the same pressure as the cooling system. So if your plastic overflow (resevoir) gets hard and and cracks you gonna push out your coolant.
I did not think it would be a problem but....
Sometimes I am not to bright. I own a coolant pressure tester. So after your post I remembered I did and I put the Mopar one on it.
The cap is will hold pressure a 15 PSI
I wish I thought to test the old cap after I bent tabs.
I will but going to leave it alone for for the time being.
I just want to figure out if the original leak is fixed or not.
I guess these plastic radiators are to blame.

·
Super Moderator
10,612 Posts
I have had aluminum radiators with plastic end caps. Over time corrosion will creep into the rubber O ring and they will start leaking. I'm cheap so I would pull the radiator, bend all the tabs that locked it into place and remove it. Clean all the corrosion off. Put a new O ring in it ( or clean up the old one if it was still soft) put a thin layer of grease on the o ring and put it back together. Bending all the tabs back over to lock it in place. It worked for 2 different radiators. I'm cheap so I didn't want to have to but another one. It's a labor intensive process. But could save a $100.00 vs. Buying a new one.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
So a few things.
Went a couple towns over to look at a middle box for my Craftsman tool box.
Logo looked the same in the picture but was not. So I passed on it.
But gave me the chance to give the Jeep a really good run.
So as far as my anti-freeze leak goes I am going to call it a win.
Looks like it was the fitting on the radiator for the tranny cooler.
And bending the tabs a little on the radiator cap stopped that problem.

Noticed this when I got home.
Was 147K and some change when I brought her home 7 1/2 years ago.
Shows how little I drive. And realize she is the only vehicle I own. LOL.

Also I have to apologize to you guys.
Awhile back I installed LED's for all my brake, reverse, turn signals, etc.
Thought everything was fine. Did a write up.

Well this morning I decided to let the Jeep warm up for a couple minutes before heading off to work.
Decided to give my turn signals a quick check.

So with the headlights on the side and front turn signals alternate.
With them off they blink simultaneously.

I did have a problem with the 194 bulbs in the side markers cause of polarity.
From my thread:

Putting the bulb in the other way resulted in this:
Would not light up when you turned on the headlights.
Would blink when you used the turn signals with the headlights off.
Would not blink when you used the turn signals with the headlights on.

Buying non polarity 194's stopped that.
But I never realized how they were behaving.
Just that they worked.

On an '00 how do they blink?
Alternating or simultaneously?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
I didn't realize polarity mattered with the LEDs

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I didn't realize polarity mattered with the LEDs
I did not either.
When I replaced all the interior courtesy lights with LED's from OneWayLight I managed to put in every bulb
right, not knowing any better, except one of the 4 lighted visor ones. It did not work.
So I contacted OneWayLight and they said they would get another bulb out to me ASAP.
Well I posted on the forums about it and somebody said "You do know that LED's have polarity right?"
No I did not.
Tried the bulb the other way and sure enough.
Emailed back OneWayLight telling them I am an idiot and everything is fine. LOL.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Ha ha ha.
Wasn't that funny. LOL.

I got lucky cause I posted about the bulb not working right away and somebody responded right away about polarity.
I emailed them back immediately and thankfully they did not ship the bulb yet.
Cause IMO the guys at OneWayLights are tops when it comes to customer service.
Other people had posted about their kits and I decided to go for it too.
Thing was that I was going to put an overhead console in my '00 that I had sourced.
Of course not knowing when I would actually get to it.
So I contacted them about the dome light kit, explained the situation, and asked what it would cost to include the bulbs for the overhead too.
They said just don't use a promo code and we will include them. How great was that?
Also another time they contacted me saying some of the bulbs they sold me were not up to their standards.
Offered to send me free replacements. Funny thing was the bulbs were fine still.
Of course I took them up on their offer just incase.
And to be clear. They contacted me.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
Yep, OWL was awesome to deal with. Its one of my most watched youtube vids. Zack? I think was the name of the guy I dealt with. The difference in brightness of the interior is amazing when you swap to LED.

24981 - 25000 of 25004 Posts