Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

25001 - 25020 of 25054 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yep, OWL was awesome to deal with. Its one of my most watched youtube vids. Zack? I think was the name of the guy I dealt with. The difference in brightness of the interior is amazing when you swap to LED.
So much better with their kit.
I went back into my emails with them. It was either Wayne or Jason that I have dealt with.
I have been so happy with their product and customer service that every time LED's come up I post about them.
These are the kind of companies that we need to stay in business.
Who care, actually stand behind their product, and are more then willing to work with you.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Yep, OWL was awesome to deal with. Its one of my most watched youtube vids. Zack? I think was the name of the guy I dealt with. The difference in brightness of the interior is amazing when you swap to LED.
I'm curious to know if they have a complete kit for the older xjs... how easy was it to swap out all of your interior lights?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
So I've been very busy with my Xj, came across a set of axles loaded with 4.10 gears month ago so after the trail run we did Saturday, I have started swapping them out. Did the rear brakes on the rear axle I'll be starting front when I get the track bar drop bracket for it. I can't wait to see how it drives with these gears.

I also am half way through with building a roof rack. Since I started doing overlanding type trips I can use the extra storage that I can strap up there. (Taking pictures so I can post a write up on how I built it.)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'm curious to know if they have a complete kit for the older xjs... how easy was it to swap out all of your interior lights?
You can go here and see what they have.

Now I just did the interior lights. Footwell, hatch area, lighted visors, and overhead.
Looks like some depending on the application are still available.
Was easy enough with the exception of being worried about breaking the plastic lenses when removing them.
20 year old brittle plastic and all. And this was on an '00.

Never done the cluster, tranny/transfer bezel, and other dash board lights.
So I can't comment on that. But looks like some might be available for that too.

Also plenty of write ups concerning doing the cluster, etc lights piecing together LED's off Amazon, etc.
I always read them when they come up cause I might consider doing those if I ever go into my dash.
But I don't really see the sense in it personally. Some guys do it for brighter lights at night.
Mine seem fine to me. Some guys do it so their dash looks "cool". Not something I really care about either.
Bottom line is I probably would not do it.

But there is one thing I do wonder about.
I have replaced a few switches, fog and rear wiper, on my '00.
What happens is they melt a little inside.
So my stupid theory is I wonder if the bulbs are helping this happen.
Seeing how LED's supposedly run cooler wonder if it would help.
Replace the on indicator and symbol illumination bulbs in the switches with LED's.
Frankly it is probably more a wiring and not so great design thing for the switches that make this happen.
Maybe one day I will start a thread and ask. Then everybody can tell me that it is the stupid theory that I think it is. LOL.

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
Yeah, in my 01 it was super easy. Just take your time wrestling all the plastic panels off and the actual bulb swap is easy. Not sure if they have a kit for the early ones, but I don't know why not.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
So it being the off season figure try to lay the ground work for some projects for the Spring.
One is the 3D printed switch panel that wizardpc designed for utilizing the wasted garage door
opener space in an overhead console. See it in the lower left.
I want to put lighting on my brush guard and maybe some in the back.
I figure take apart all my switches, check for melting and try to make 3 that will work.
The switches on the upper left in the picture are rear fog light switches from European Jeeps.
I figure try to use one of those for the rear lights cause if you look close see how the symbol is reversed?
But the switch itself does not operate like a fog light switch. It is spring loaded like a rear defroster switch.
So I am thinking just use the toggle with a regular fog light switch.
Also I really only need 2 spots but thinking I might put in 4 switches and wire them up anyway.
Wire them up completely, including a relay, with the exception of to lights from the relay. Cause there won't be any lights. LOL.
But in case I change my mind I scoffed some blanks from a TJ that could fill the unused spots.
See in the lower right.
The switch panel does seem a little fragile. So I just want to clip the switches in there the one time if possible.
Like I said check for melting inside and can check the bulbs for continuity with a meter.
Then next Spring when it gets warm just make sure they work but plugging them into my front fog lights and check.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
So my little project is kinda on hold.

Really all I was going to do was look too see if that piece inside melted.
See the first shot. Not a fog light switch one but a picture I had to show you the piece I am talking about.

So I started thinking about all the switches that I have taken apart to date.
There is always some dried up gunk in there. Always assumed it was dielectric grease.
So it occurred to me that maybe I should clean off this part with electronic cleaner and reapply some dielectric grease.
On the piece in the second shot.

I have come across threads on repairing switches and decided to revisit them.
They talk about cleaning that up but no mention of applying fresh dielectric grease.
They also talk about stretching the spring in there a little.

This one thread brought up something that I thought of awhile ago. To be frank thought it was a dumb idea.
About the bulbs helping melt that piece in the first shot.
The not gel covered white base one in the top.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I cleared about 18 inches of snow off of the Yeti today. Started her up to keep the batteries charges, and put her in 4 low to make some ruts in the snow drifts so I can easily get out if need be this week. Hopefully, lots of snow on the way this week!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
So I got a little sidetracked yesterday and did not finish.
But did today.
Cleaned, regreased. bulbs and pigtails checked for continuity, and the
rear fog light toggle placed in a regular fog light housing.
Not only did I pick the cleaner parts that likes to melt from my collection but
also the better looking circuit boards and toggles.
So next Spring at night going to make sure they all actually work.
Doing it at night cause I want to see how the symbol looks with the
headlights on. Sometimes they get a little discolored and look eh.

So anybody know what LED's to use for these switches?
Just for the top clear white one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I cleared about 18 inches of snow off of the Yeti today. Started her up to keep the batteries charges, and put her in 4 low to make some ruts in the snow drifts so I can easily get out if need be this week. Hopefully, lots of snow on the way this week!
You in Telluride right now? Here in Englewood we have had a couple small snows maybe 4"s each.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
You in Telluride right now? Here in Englewood we have had a couple small snows maybe 4"s each.
Yeah, been back since July. We've had decent dumps but infrequent. In a la nina year, all the storms tend to come from the north.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
So today's the day I am going to swap in the dana 30, I will have 4 wheel drive back. My little experiment rolling with 4.10 gears will start. We have a shakedown run planned for December 30th and I organized a New Years day run a couple days later with our 4x4 group.

So far driving the xj with 4.10s in the rear there is only a slight difference around town. The true test is going to be trying to keep with traffic going up those long steep mountain grades. And the most important test is its offroad prowless. We will have 3 Xjs (maybe 4) on the 30th. Should be a good time. I will try and take some pictures of the day. But no promises, I kind of get caught up in just wheeling.

·
Premium Member
9,882 Posts
4.10s is a nice gear ratio. Particularly if you have tires in the 31 - 33" area

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
YeahI imagine so. The thing is I have the means to build my axles soon the rear Dana 44 and the front Dana 30, with the ARB lockers in both. And when this pair of axles (with 4.10 gears) listed on CL. For $400, I felt It was a win win situation. They are a direct swap and I know I can get my $ back when I am done. But I will have enough experience with the gearing to know what direction I will go..... So stocked not to be pushing that skinny pedal as much. I have 33's and 3.55 gears 5 spd ax-15 currently.

·
Premium Member
9,882 Posts
When you go to set up those gears, you will need to pay attention to the back lash and make it the same. The easy way with dana axles is to use the JK D44 shims on the outside of the bearings instead of taking the bearing on and off with shims on the inside. Makes setup a breeze and can be done in just a few minutes, particularly if you have a spreader

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Yeah it will be my first rodeo as far as gears go, but I have several fellow jeepers that I can call on when it's time.
I have followed your thread and Dang Mang, when you both did your axles, even bought his set-up bearings, but I really want to only do it once. And am transitioning from the harder trails to more of a overlanding, camping. Hiking, kayaking and mountain biking. The steetabilaty is way more important then how it's going to wheel.

I'm pretty stoked. The front axle is out and while I'm at it I'll go ahead and cut and fold the inner fenderwell seem. And also welded a thick fender washer size plate of steel to the spring perches and tapped it to accept my hockey puck bump stops. I counter sunk the pucks on both ends with fostner drill bits to stadle over the plat and sink the bolt head and washers level with the top of the top puck.

Tomorrow we should be able to finish the swap. Then we will turn our attention to his Xj, he needs to do his heater core.

Can't wait to take it out to play.

·
Premium Member
9,882 Posts
Heater core, that will be a job

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
So I figured I would see how the garage door opener panel comes off and how the switch bezel goes in.
Cause of some tabs on the switch bezel I figure better to do it from the back.
Overhead console can be removed easy enough.
But this is an extra one that I have that I am playing with.
So remove 6 torx and this panel comes right off.

Exposes the garage opener door.

Pops out fairly easy. Is the panel between the open space and the plastic door tool.

And the bezel pops in from the back fairly easy too.

Oh and comes out easy enough. Was a little afraid it might not for when I do this for real. LOL.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,882 Posts
I like that switch panel Ralph. I am running out of room for switches. I think I will do something with the roof too

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Not sure where you are running switches now but wizardpc, who made mine, makes all sorts of other ones.
Some for '96 and down too.
Some take factory switches and some the Contura type.
But nothing for the roof in a '96 and down best I can tell.
Mine will use factory switches.
Figure it will kinda look factory.
Kinda. LOL.

25001 - 25020 of 25054 Posts