Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

25021 - 25040 of 25054 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,882 Posts
I took out my dash clock and old cigarette lighter and made one panel to replace them both. Added one lighter power source, two USB ports and four rocker switches. Took out the idiot lights on the left and added four switch locations for LED lights etc. Besides, noone makes much for the early XJs like mine. Which is why I do a lot of fabrication
IMG_2041.JPG
IMG_2043.JPG

·
Premium Member
9,882 Posts
All home grown. It all needs a good cleaning though. Just gotta keep it out of the dirt :D

·
Registered
2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic XJ
19 Posts
Installed a Fire Missiles cigarette lighter, new floor mats front and rear plus a rear cargo mat. Interior is shaping up now.

Reactions: Gluckmysock

·
Registered
1998 Classic
17 Posts
Tune up including plugs, wires distributor cap, rotor, pcv. Also saw the upholstery guy and scheduled a headliner replacement. Headliner is the only thing that is not pristine on the XJ. Have new bumpstops and 1.5" TeraFlex lift left to install.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Stuff came in today to add to the parts I already had.
Figure new U-Bolts and I should have everything I need to do the rear suspension.

Supposedly these are the Up Country springs.
Guess we will find out someday. Cause that is when they will get put on is someday. LOL.
Oh and I have the longer bump stops too. Just forgot to find them and throw them in the pile for the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Ever since I've owned my jeep, the parking brake has never worked well at all, and I have messed with it time and time again. I have gotten new cables and it still never held at all.

One of the cables broke recently so I decided to replace them and mess with rear brakes again. For whatever reason now it works great, I did remove the equalizer and has to reset the cables tension. Itll actually hold backwards going down a hill now.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Got impulsive a few days ago and bought these. See the first shot.

Had originally bought these to use. See the second shot.

Keeping in mind this has nothing to do with the quality of light these put out. Which I have no idea. LOL.
Strictly from a looks point of view.

Which do you guys like better?
Despite everything on the Jeep being square I am leaning towards the round ones.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,882 Posts
IMHO, which is not always so humble the big round ones always look better

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
I had big round KC lights years ago. They put out a good amount of light, but they got really hot and they didn't seal worth a darn. Was always cleaning or replacing bulbs in them. I eventually blew the glass out when I hosed down the jeep after offroading. (hot lights and cold water don't mix). Went to led bar and pods and never looked back. The big lights were also magnets for rocks thrown from other cars.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Round just looks classic.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Thanks for the opinions guys. Thinking I am going to probably try the round ones first.
They are for a Patriot. Classified as "Driving Lights". Only a 55 watt bulb it appears.
They get used with this mounting kit that costs about $18. But I don't need it.
Plus the lights are on a hinge so I can aim them. Up and down at least.
They come with "bullet" type connectors. My hope is that I can find some to wire up.
So as to not have to cut them off but if I do no big deal.
If I do have to cut them off thinking instead of hardwiring them use these:

Or something like that. This way if I decided to swap them out be easier.

I do have one question cause I would like to play with both lights to see the output.
Can I run them off the Jeep direct from my little jump box?
It is just power and ground right?
Any reason to throw an inline fuse into the mix?

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
FWIW, I used Www.delcity.com when I did all the wiring on my buddy's 56 Ford. make sure you get the right pins for the correct wire size. Your link is for 20-18 awg, and that is some pretty small wires. For those lights I wouldn't go anything smaller than 16awg. The little metal crimp on connectors have tabs that get longer as your wire size gets bigger, numerically smaller. So you have to match the connector to the wire size. The tabs on 18-20 gauge are very small. We already know the perils of jeep and their small wiring. You also should have a proper crimp tool to make a tight connection. Not trying to spoil your plans, just trying to help avoid frustration.
If your jump box already has a fuse, then no need for an inline fuse, but if you are going directly from a switch to the lights, I would put in a fuse. You can run a single power (12volt) wire to 1 light, then jumper over to the 2nd one. You can ground each one individually to chassis ground.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I was just using that connector as an example. I would like to use 12 gauge wire if possible.

Pretty sure my little jump box, one of these types, does not have a fuse.

I think you are misunderstanding me.
I just want to play with one of the round and one of the square lights.
While not on the Jeep. Just to see what the output of light is.
Not that I really care.
So thinking just the ground wire on the light to the ground clamp on the jump box and the same with the positive.
Just want to power it up for a minute in the dark.

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
Oh. Duh! Leave it to me to over think things. #facepalm. Absolutely, the jump box is great for that.

25021 - 25040 of 25054 Posts