Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

what did you do to your xj/zj/wj today?

2M views 25K replies 764 participants last post by  Ralph77 
#1 ·
washed and waxed :bow:

Reactions: sofiya546
#24,621 ·
Xj flus and don't do's can get you down but I try to stay positive and I'm getting excited about my next two builds. You see in my world it's just another day of dreaming about how many thousands I can lose to Amazon making the next Cherokee even more bad as than the last four. My new build is two builds! I'm taking a 94 3 inch spacer lifted open diff 33 inch rubbers beater into unchartered rock crawling territory and an 01 sport model from bone stock to no small rock. Thus adventure will be quite fun because I am going to break some things along the way trying to figure out what performs and what breaks. I'm looking for everybody's suggestions on what I should do to make my next two the best two. Keep in mind that I will fabricate absolutely everything I can before I buy aftermarket junk but I plan to make these two bigger, badder,better., and beautiful as any jeep you've ever known. Money won't stop my projects and neither will discouraging comments. What should I do with these two first?. The 94 will be a budget build. The 01 will be no object spared. Let's have some fun. I'll provide start to finish pictures from now to done. You ready?

#24,622 ·
Xj flus and don't do's can get you down but I try to stay positive and I'm getting excited about my next two builds. You see in my world it's just another day of dreaming about how many thousands I can lose to Amazon making the next Cherokee even more bad as than the last four. My new build is two builds! I'm taking a 94 3 inch spacer lifted open diff 33 inch rubbers beater into unchartered rock crawling territory and an 01 sport model from bone stock to no small rock. Thus adventure will be quite fun because I am going to break some things along the way trying to figure out what performs and what breaks. I'm looking for everybody's suggestions on what I should do to make my next two the best two. Keep in mind that I will fabricate absolutely everything I can before I buy aftermarket junk but I plan to make these two bigger, badder,better., and beautiful as any jeep you've ever known. Money won't stop my projects and neither will discouraging comments. What should I do with these two first?. The 94 will be a budget build. The 01 will be no object spared. Let's have some fun. I'll provide start to finish pictures from now to done. You ready?
First off, I'd take and paste this post on a newly started build thread.

#24,624 ·
So a couple weeks ago I went to a boneyard I have never been to before. Saw some stuff I have been looking for. It is close by but just never checked them out until now.
So today I went and scoffed the stuff I wanted. All smaller stuff. $45 and think I overpaid but I don't know these guys like I do at the other boneyards I go to.
So got some tail light harnesses to add to my harness collection.
Couple '97/'98 glove box light switches with the pigtails. Thinking of trying to add one to mine. They stopped putting them in '99's and up.
A couple more fog light switches and a few more of the pigtails for them. I have a project in mind for them.
And I got what was left of the mounting points out of 2 different Jeeps for the retractable cargo cover.
Want to try and put one in my '00.
I was finally able to confirm that besides the plastic mounting points that you can see there are 2 metal ones behind the interior plastic for the 2 behind the rear seat.
The place is not far away but as soon as I got on the highway I set the cruise at 55 MPH, reset the overhead, and stayed in the right lane.
For the 13.7 miles I spent on the highway, one way, according to my overhead I averaged 25.4 MPG.
I was just curious what it would read when I did that. LOL.

Attachments

#24,625 ·
So with the weather being real mild today I replaced the Zevo reverse lights with these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071F8LP1K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Zevo's are very visible to other driver's but throw no light out to really see behind you.
That could have something to do with the aftermarket tail lights I run that get rid of the amber lens in them.
Tough to see in the picture, new LED on the left and the Zevo one I had in there on the right, but I can see that it is brighter.
The true test will be when I back into my parking space at work Tuesday morning. LOL.

Attachments

#24,626 ·
So I tried to take a picture for you guys but I could not get a shot that would portray exactly how bright the lights are.
Trying to do it from inside the Jeep was too dark. Outside they actually looked brighter in the picture then they were.
Vast improvement.
Even viewing behind me through my privacy glass I could see much more then I could with the Zevo's.

#24,627 ·
Nobody has done anything to their Jeep in 30 days? I thought I was the only one punishing my Jeep for bad behavior.

#24,628 ·
Nobody has done anything to their Jeep in 30 days? I thought I was the only one punishing my Jeep for bad behavior.
Without a garage it is the off season for me.
I spend the time laying ground work for up coming projects.
One that I have been working on is getting rid of the coil bar in my '00.
I purchased the Ksuspension bracket and harness, going to couple that with a real Mopar coil.
If you buy the whole kit from them you get a Spectra one and a set of wires that would fit a '03ish Grand Caravan type vehicle.
Still have to buy the Mopar coil and I can get wires through my store. Been scoping out wires from other vehicles hoping for a bit
of a cleaner install of the wires. The Grand Caravan ones are all straight at the coil. Thinking 90 degree might be better.
But not sure.
So I have been also trying to learn about making my own. Which does not seem to hard.

Which brings up a question that I was going to ask at some point in time.
Are spark wires spark wires?
I understand the they are vehicle specific but will they all fit?
Will the wire from any car fit on any spark plug on that end?
Also would the wires from a vehicle with a distributor fit a coil pack on that end?

#24,629 ·
Well. I might not have any new things in the way of mods to report but, I have been driving my Xj on several trails runs and ocational drives around town instead of my D.D. for the past couple of months. Today we took it for a drive in search of a butane/propane mix cylinder for a small heater I purchased. Anyways just thought I would share that I am very happy with the new suspension, although it isn't as smooth as regular long arms the drop brackets give the jeep a better ride. And the OME leaf springs with my boomarang shackles and the relocation brackets I made makes the rear suspension ride 100% better. Very happy! The other thing that's great about these leaf springs is they also have overload spring which you don't even notice. My old springs were worn out but functional until you added to much weight to the rig. Then they would sag so much you couldn't fit your fist between the tire and the fender well.
Took me a while to get everything adjust, (control arms and alignment) but it was really worth it.

So what did I do? I drove it all over.

#24,630 ·
I drove mine last night with the new gears and lockers. Wow 4.88 and 37s I can go fast again it's great. The front locker makes a little noise. The rear too. I feel like I could drive up anything now

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

#24,631 ·
Welcome to the club, although i'm on 4.56 and 35's it's about the same thing! :D

#24,633 ·
I don't know. I haven't had it off road yet. I'll let you know after I do.

#24,635 ·
I've had 4.56 33's for a couple years. I really like it off road. Very tourqey. Had I not gotten a real good deal on these tires and wheels I would still be on 33's. But my plan was too get 35. Which is the limit for these stock axles

#24,636 ·
So I received this today.
$115 shipped. Could use a little touch up.
Not sure if I am going to use it though.
Would be nice to lessen the clutter in the engine compartment.
But some guys have complained about the interior noise from these.
For a Jeep that is just a DD might not be a good thing.
Would go along with the 62 MM throttle body that I picked up from XJwonders awhile
back when he closed shop.
Thinking $115 was a decent price so.....
Was it? LOL.
Auto part Pipe

#24,637 ·
I plumbed my stealth snorkle into my firewall above the master cylinder. Yes you can hear it in the cab. It's not jet engine loud, but noticeable.

#24,638 ·
So I received this today.
$115 shipped. Could use a little touch up.
Not sure if I am going to use it though.
Would be nice to lessen the clutter in the engine compartment.
But some guys have complained about the interior noise from these.
For a Jeep that is just a DD might not be a good thing.
Would go along with the 62 MM throttle body that I picked up from XJwonders awhile
back when he closed shop.
Thinking $115 was a decent price so.....
Was it? LOL. View attachment 227025
I have something ver similar to that that scored for $40. I was thinking that I would be able to mount my compressor in the engine bay. So that I could also plumb in my tank for the lockers. I'm a little concerned with whether it would affect getting my emissions done each year

#24,639 ·
Driving around town last night, had an instance of Mystery Smoke coming from the jeep somewhere as i pulled into a parking space. Got out to inspect but it dissipated and i couldn't tell what it was or where it was coming from. Will have to keep a close watch.

#24,640 ·
Throw a gopro or your phone camera underneath and go for a drive around the block a few times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.