Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i shift my jeep into drive there is a number 3 and a 12 underneath the d they are the last two i own an automatic 1998 jeep cherokee se 2 wheel drive ive never shifted into those gears except maybe once what do they mean?

image-108068126.jpg

Last bottom 2

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
The AW4 is a 4spd. Automatic... 3 is 3rd gear which is normally used for towing, and 1st and 2nd is only used to go slow.

You can downshift into 3rd from cruising speeds, but NEVER downshift into 1-2!

Down shift into 1-2 from a stop only.
;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is aw4? I have a 2wd 2 wheel drive hmm i dont see any 4s either theres just p= park r = reverse d = drive, 3 =?? 12= ?? Haha thats all there i im sirry i dont know anything about vehicles this is the first one ive owned!

·
Marshmallow
3,780 Posts
AW4 is the model of the transmission. OD is actually 4th gear.

·
Yup, just me.
1,924 Posts
I keep it it OD when towing unless there is a bunch of hills. It just keeps it from shifting as much and helps keep it in the power band. Off road depends o the situation, if I am crawling up a section or going down a steep slope it will stay in 1 2 but otherwise I keep it in OD. It's really something you will have to play with to find what works best for you.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Its not 12 bud, its speeds 1 and 2. They are together kinda, so it will downshift from 2(second) to 1(first).

I use Drive for most everything, but will downshift into third, then second/first when coming to a stop. I don't use that method on take off, just stopping. Its a preference thing.

First/second gear is what I use offroad on hills, or when I need to go slow and keep it that way. I like all the control I can get.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its not 12 bud, its speeds 1 and 2. They are together kinda, so it will downshift from 2(second) to 1(first).

I use Drive for most everything, but will downshift into third, then second/first when coming to a stop. I don't use that method on take off, just stopping. Its a preference thing.

First/second gear is what I use offroad on hills, or when I need to go slow and keep it that way. I like all the control I can get.
But, how do you shift between 2nd abd 1st.... I just picked one up myself, and though I know what it's for, I can't see the method to select between them. My 99 I had years ago had 3, 2, 1. This thing has the 2 and 1 in the same spot.??

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Welcome to the forum! To answer your question: You don't. Its an automatic transmission in a ~20 year old vehicle. It doesn't have full "manual control" like a lot of newer trucks and suvs do. I don't believe your 1999 model had 3, 2, 1 either. XJs came with the automatic AW4 we are discussing here, and the manual transmission (ax-15?).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts