Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched out my distributor and tried correcting the timing but it still won’t start (started before). Any ideas? Also is there an easier way of removing seized leaf spring bushings than fire? Cheers for any help

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,301 Posts
Your distributor may be a tooth off. I fought mine for a couple hours trying to get it in right. It will rotate as it goes in.
Get some good metal cutting blades 14-18 tpi and cut the bolt where it goes into the frame. Turn the bolt in a couple turns first. The bolt is gallded to the sleeve.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
I think I turned my bolt until it was out of the frame and then cut it on the outside of the leaves. If you can't do that, then go with alternating fire and penetrating oil. It looks like you cut your leaf open, so you can just hack it all apart now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Take your dizzy, remove the sensor, set the rotor to 5 o'clock, take a punch, screwdriver and lock points. Ok when you put this thing in, the rotor will no longer spin. Start at 1oclock with the bracket, 11oclock with the button. Ok when you drop it down in there it will catch the proper tooth, and seat, at 5oclock, without the rotor spinning. After positioned. Just remove the screw driver and put back together, with rotor button at 5. If you crank, no start, then your 180 off, cycle motor back to 1tdc, pull dizzy, it will be at 11, reset it to 5, repeat.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Get some good metallic cutting blades 14-18 tpi and cut the bolt where it goes into the frame. Turn the bolt in a couple turns first. The bolt is gallded to the sleeve.
[/QUOTE]
X2 , sawzall, high speed cutting tool work too.you can take a benzomatic heat up the spring eye, then cram in the pry bar on the side, to get in to cut.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take your dizzy, remove the sensor, set the rotor to 5 o'clock, take a punch, screwdriver and lock points. Ok when you put this thing in, the rotor will no longer spin. Start at 1oclock with the bracket, 11oclock with the button. Ok when you drop it down in there it will catch the proper tooth, and seat, at 5oclock, without the rotor spinning. After positioned. Just remove the screw driver and put back together, with rotor button at 5. If you crank, no start, then your 180 off, cycle motor back to 1tdc, pull dizzy, it will be at 11, reset it to 5, repeat.
Cheers mate, I had down it a few times prior but just couldn’t get it set quite right. But I got her running again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts