Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bottom-line question on the top of this post is:
What is the largest diameter tire that will fit in the spare tire compartment on the WJ?

Explanation:

The tires that are on it now are 245/75R16 and The spare tire that is in the spare tire compartment is 245/70R16 which is about 29.5 inch diameter.
Yes, I do know the mismatch is a bad thing in general and particularly for a WJ with a Trac-Lock equipped Rear Differential.

I have recently spent many hours contemplating and studying on replacement tires for my WJ and fits my budget and purposes, (Overlanding, dispersed Camping in the Lower 48 and Daily-Driver), the best tire size to drive on without having to Re-Gear Diffs and modify Brakes, etc. IMO, is 235/85R16 which are just under 31.5 at 31.4 inches diameter.

From what I remember, as I "measured", there is at least 1 inch of space remaining, (all the way around), between the original 29.5 inch spare tire and the upper portion of the wall in the spare tire compartment
which makes it questionable that a 31.5 inch 245/70R16 would fit in the available space.

I don't have anywhere near the finances for a Heavy-Duty Rear Bumper with a with a swing out spare tire holder or anything like the Kratos - The Tire Carrier.

Anyway, I don't think that I have the physical strength to load a mounted spare tire onto either the roof or a spare tire carrier mounted like the 'Kratos - The Tire Carrier', none of those are an option for me and I like the ability to open the rear window. Therefore, High-Priced, unaffordable, (for me), but 'reachable' (for me), spare tire mounting scheme like, for example, a swing-out spare tire mount which seems to be exclusively part of an astronomically high-priced, Heavy Duty Rear Bumper馃槺o_O that would be low enough for me to be able to lift a 16" Wheel with a 33.5 inch tire mounted on it onto is not a viable option for me either. Also, FWIW, I don't want the extra weight of a HD Bumper in the first place.

馃槚 I may have to cringe and go with a smaller diameter tire or?... ...Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge, positive comments, ideas and thoughts.

Premium Member
Yes, I have one for you. You will need a class 2 receiver hitch on it, then you can add this carrier form Detours. It works well and doesn't rattle.
Car Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Wheel
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

This is a 31" tire. YOu would still have to lift the tire, but you could use a cheater bar to do it and make it easier

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, 4.3L XJ.(y)(y)

That does inspire me to think out-of-the-box more than I have been.:geek:

I have been thinking about a 2" Receiver Hitch mounted unit, but a solid one without a hinge, or something like the too expensive for me, Swingout one that is available called "The 4Runner RidgeRunner Swing-Away" one on the https://detoursofmaine.com/ website.

"The KnuckleBone Carrier", like the one you photoed, is somewhat doable price-wise for me, but I am concerned about how easy it would be to steel the spare tire with simple tools or a pipe to break-off a locking hitch-pin, (all receiver type hitches are susceptible to the 'pipe trick' though). I guess the hinge-pins on The KnuckleBone Carrier could be fabricated and welded onto the frame brackets of the unit. Hmm.:sneaky:

That being said, I am thinking of a way to make a better Hitch-Pin Lock for common aftermarket receiver hitches then the ones that are available... ...Maybe I will 'invent' one and make enough $$ for all the Upgrades I want; LOL!!

Premium Member
That was a knuckle bone. It does have a pin, however it also has a bolt in the tube to secure it and keep it from rattling

1 - 4 of 4 Posts