Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have search this forum and several other resources to figure out what my fuel pressure specifications. I have learned 91-95 and 97-01 have different fuel delivery systems than mine. I have found fuel pressure specs ranging from 29-54psi. Short of buying a service manual for the 1996, just to find this one answer, I thought I would ask here.

I have the MPI injection with no regulator on the fuel rail. My regulator is a part of the fuel pump module in the tank. I am currently getting about 25psi on a fuel gauge.

My issue is the Jeep will start rather quickly and then stall out after a couple seconds. I sprayed carb cleaner into the throttle body and was able to keep it running. This tells me there is a huge vacuum leak or a fuel deficiency. I checked all the vacuum lines, the throttle body gasket, and the intake manifold gasket. I found no vacuum leaks. The fuel pump has been replaced twice and both pumps are reading around the same psi. The fuel filter is new and the fuel delivery line is clear. I believe my fuel pressure regulator may be bad, but I don't know for sure since I cannot find what the fuel pressure is supposed to be. Does anyone know what my fuel pressure should be? I appreciate any information this forum could provide.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
You should be at 49 psi with that setup. Either your pump is o good or the regulator is adjusted too low from factory. FWIW, dont buy the run of the mill pump from the parts stores, they are notorious for having issues. I dont know what you have been getting, but there's that info at least.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should be at 49 psi with that setup. Either your pump is o good or the regulator is adjusted too low from factory. FWIW, dont buy the run of the mill pump from the parts stores, they are notorious for having issues. I dont know what you have been getting, but there's that info at least.
Thanks, Mike.

·
Premium Member
10,307 Posts
If yoiu have no fuel return line to the tank, you need to run the 97 -01 specs. 06 was a transition year.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Don't quote me on this but I think read some where that the older Jeeps might 36 lbs.
Reason it stuck in my head was cause I know on '97 to '01 it is 49 +/- 5 lbs.
And I think I just found it odd that the older Jeeps run at a lower pressure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts