Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 91 cherokee aw4 tranny that is starting to slip. if i choose to replace it with a different one what years will swap in? thanks in advance

·
Registered
412 Posts
I want to say late 89 to 01. Early Aw4s had a 21 spline output. They might have changed a few things later on (96+) but I don't really believe so.

Somebody tell me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Could be the neutral switch on the trans. It looks like a quadrant with wires. Mine was slipping at 200,000 at I replaced the quadrant and no problems at all. The quadrant controls shifting of the gears and can cause it to really feel like its slipping. Found a replacement on ebay for 125. Napa is like 375.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies, if the fuel pump is going could i mistake it for the tranny? it does not have power under acceleration but will get up to speed slowly

·
Registered
412 Posts
Slipping tranny = taching really high (revs up to near the limiter) and slowly starts rolling foreward. Basically, you put your foot down and it'll rev through the roof but hardly go anywhere.

A dying pump will cause low power on acceleration, along with sputtering, stalling, poor fuel economy, etc. Often it will accelerate well for a second or two, then fall flat on its face. A plugged fuel filter can do similar things.

·
Registered
81 Posts
a clogged cat converter can also create a poor acceleration problem too

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Slipping tranny = taching really high (revs up to near the limiter) and slowly starts rolling foreward. Basically, you put your foot down and it'll rev through the roof but hardly go anywhere.

A dying pump will cause low power on acceleration, along with sputtering, stalling, poor fuel economy, etc. Often it will accelerate well for a second or two, then fall flat on its face. A plugged fuel filter can do similar things.
it doesn't do the first one. it doesn't rev up but it will do the second
thanks going to try the fuel filter/pump first

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
How many miles on the trans. The auto's are tough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts