Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me i use motorcraft on the ranger the jeeps ive always used fram and now on the blazer i have a from but thinking of using a wix or delco.

so what filters do you guys use or prefer to use?
whats the best filter youve had and whats the worse?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Only filter i have ever put on the jeep is a Wix. No particular reason, just prefer them over all others. It isnt that big of a deal, just change your oil often enough and it should never be a problem.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I usually get napa gold oil filtes since I get them for next to nothing. I've used some no name brand filters from my friends shop but would still go for the gold. My old nissan I've used the k&n oil filter n mobile 1 before but damn those suckers r expensive.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I've done reading on oil filters and found that frame really cheaps out on components which actually make a difference. Basically they said to avoid frame, try n get mobile 1, purolator or wix.

Ill look for that article and post it up here so you can look for yourself.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html#baldwin

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've heard some bad things about Fram as well. I either get mine from Carquest or NAPA (both of which are Wix filters). I also run the larger 1515 oil filter, same thread and internals, just more paper.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I used Pureolator..Pure oil now, Pureolater..haha :thumbsup: They are cheap and have that grippy material on the outside that helps when you have oily hands..

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Lol, i got my craftsman oil filter wernch to grab my filters. I got good grip to tighten up the puppy but not enough to take it off.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I use a Mopar or K&N,I will never use Fram filters again,neither of my Jeeps have liked them.Did a oil change and right away could hear a small knocking type sound from my engine,stuck the USED Mopar filter back on just outta curiosity and it went away.Bought another Fram once after that....same noise bought a K&N sound gone.Bought this 95,changed the oil and used a Fram same knocking/tapping sound,so no more Fram after that.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I use a Mopar or K&N,I will never use Fram filters again,neither of my Jeeps have liked them.Did a oil change and right away could hear a small knocking type sound from my engine,stuck the USED Mopar filter back on just outta curiosity and it went away.Bought another Fram once after that....same noise bought a K&N sound gone.Bought this 95,changed the oil and used a Fram same knocking/tapping sound,so no more Fram after that.
Hmm..I too am noticing this knock/tap, I never considered the filter as the cause..

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
X2 on the Purolater or which every cheapy brand Walmart sells. I have a Fram in the shed right now but after all the bad reviews on it, if I can't find the receipt to return it, I will dispose of it properly effective immediately. :blowup11:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
X2 on the Purolater or which every cheapy brand Walmart sells. I have a Fram in the shed right now but after all the bad reviews on it, if I can't find the receipt to return it, I will dispose of it properly effective immediately. :blowup11:
I wish they still sold REAL m-80's..not the little black cat firecrackers..

·
Registered
621 Posts
Copied this from another forum

Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circulating through my system. The oil passage to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Ouch..the last Fram I bought was the tough guard(the grey one)..same issues with quality on that one? Just curious..I still prefer the cheaper grippy ones from Advance :thumbsup:

·
Registered
621 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts