Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the gears are no good to me since I have 4:10s, but I'd be planning on putting 5:13s in it anyway then doing the same to the D30 when I swap it in. It's been sandblasted and painted. The guy wants $200. I'm thinking about getting it and putting in new drums, shafts if it needs it, gears, etc. as the money comes in, then doing the swap maybe late Spring. So does it sounds like a pretty good deal?

·
Registered
412 Posts
XJ D44s are worth more simply because of demand. $200 is acceptable. Drum brakes are garbage anyways, so you might as well swap to disks.

And can you put 5.13 is a HP D30?

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, I've seen gear sets listed for 5.38, but not 5.13. Sorry. (And why is that?)

I'll see what he'll take for it. I never accept a listed price. :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Lots of axles can only go so deep on the ratio... HP axles in general don't have as low of ratios (you can get a 7.17 ratio for a LP D60, but 5.13 or 5.38 is the lowest for a HP IIRC). I thought the HP D30 only went to 4.88 or something, but there was talk of making a lower (and weaker) gearset for a long time. I don't run D30s, so I'm not exactly current on anything with them.

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I may just upgrade the shafts, diff cover, and put 4.88s in the Chryco. The gear calculator on NAXJA puts out a 4.77 ratio for 31" tires, but I don't mind the way it runs with 4.10s, so 4.88s and 33s shouldn't be a problem. Besides, I got other shat to fix first. :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
You can break anything... Just slip the clutch with the motor at about 5Krpm, then as soon as the tires are nicely wedged in something snap the clutch out.

It might not do it the first time... But eventually.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I think that $200 for that axle is a great deal. I know up in my area the XJ D44's are REALLY rare, and can pull as much as $400 bucks. I paid $225 for mine, plus one tank of $4 fuel to drive out to PA and home to pick it up. It needed a complete brake job (plus the task of finding a backing plate - should've gone with discs to begin with :brickwall:).

I'd say to get the axle, and start to build it for what you want it for (I'm guessing gears, locker, alloy shafts, etc.). Build it as you get the funds together - doesn't have to be overnight. This way you have the axle you want all built and ready to go into the XJ. Then either save up and regear and lock the D30 to match. It may take a while to save up the cash, but you'll be happier in the end.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts