Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they look like there 2" but they say 1 1/2 im geussing you can use the stock rubber padding as well to gain a few mm's. im wodering if i can use extra rubber padding from another xj in there safely to get as close to my 3" goal as possible? i bought these from a 4x4 shop no instructions with them. i have the general idea but i would like to hear from people who have installed em the easy way:) thanks

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
they look like there 2" but they say 1 1/2 im geussing you can use the stock rubber padding as well to gain a few mm's. im wodering if i can use extra rubber padding from another xj in there safely to get as close to my 3" goal as possible? i bought these from a 4x4 shop no instructions with them. i have the general idea but i would like to hear from people who have installed em the easy way:) thanks
Yes you can stack the stock isolator on top of the coil spacer. I stacked 3 isolators on top of each other before for a budget lift. The easist way to install them is to remove the coil springs and that's the only way to install it.

Put jackstands under the frame behind the front lower control arm mounts, as high as you can get them. Disconnect your sway bar links, shocks, and trackbar (one end). Lower the front axle as far as it will go. See if you can get the coils out that way. If not, jack up the opposite side you are working on. This will lower the other side another inch or two. If you still cannot get the coils out (you should be able to by now), then go rent some coil spring compressors from your parts store and compress the coils till they come out. If you don't want to deal with the spring compressers, then you can do a little more work like disconnecting the lower control arms and pitman arm tie rod so the axle can droop all the way to the ground. It's a little more work but the coils will definately come out that way. Once the coils are out, put the spacer in and then the extra isolator. Re-assemble.

I found this in a hurry. It's a TJ write-up but the front end is the same.

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/suspension/21895-lift-your-tj-installing-rubicon-express-2-coil-spacer-kit.html

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
I have done several that, just about the easiest way out there.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
yeap what Mud said, its pretty straigt foward...

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
You can do it without a spring compressor. I was able to get 3.5" springs and a 2" spacer without the use of a spring compressor. All you need to do is disconnect your lower control arms and the axles will drop far enough so that you can just pull your springs out.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
You can do it without a spring compressor. I was able to get 3.5" springs and a 2" spacer without the use of a spring compressor. All you need to do is disconnect your lower control arms and the axles will drop far enough so that you can just pull your springs out.
Ya I have done it either way and either way took just about the same time. But FWIW most parts shops will rent out spring compressors for free.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Just a word of caution, spring compressors can create a dangerous situation. I have used them, and am not a huge fan of them because I personally didn't feel comfortable around the springs until they were reinstalled on the Jeep and the compressor was removed. Should the compressor break/fall off/etc you will have a large, loaded spring to deal with.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Just a word of caution, spring compressors can create a dangerous situation. I have used them, and am not a huge fan of them because I personally didn't feel comfortable around the springs until they were reinstalled on the Jeep and the compressor was removed. Should the compressor break/fall off/etc you will have a large, loaded spring to deal with.

Just my .02
Yeah treat the spring like a loaded shotgun. Keep it away from your head. :)

·
Administrator
6,426 Posts
and any body panel/body part you like undented and in one piece. i had a 6" lift spring for a 97 silverado explode out of its compressor, and it kinda blew apart a sapling. it was an awesome enough site to make me respect my physics lessons: anything under tension is going to try and relieve itself of that tension. occasionally destroying a tree in the process.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha this thread was when i first got my jeep. ive since compressed about 10 sets of springs and done 4 lifts on differant jeeps. reading it is kinda funny. no way would i ever remove the lca to remove a loaded spring under a jack or not. compressing to me seems like the only option with lift springs involved. i use a strut compressor that ataches on the sides not in the center.when i first did this in the thread i rented a spring compressor that goes in the center, man what a pia. it was nearly trapped in there apon instalation

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
haha this thread was when i first got my jeep. ive since compressed about 10 sets of springs and done 4 lifts on differant jeeps. reading it is kinda funny. no way would i ever remove the lca to remove a loaded spring under a jack or not. compressing to me seems like the only option with lift springs involved. i use a strut compressor that ataches on the sides not in the center.when i first did this in the thread i rented a spring compressor that goes in the center, man what a pia. it was nearly trapped in there apon instalation
What you do is disconnect the sway bar and trackbar, plus remove your brake calipers and hang them up somewhere. Then you lower the axle as far as it will go. These releases the tension on the springs and then you can disconnect the lower arms and it'll drop all the way to the ground without the springs shooting out or anything. I used to use spring compressors but started doing it this way cuz it's easier and faster than tightening and loosening two spring compressors per spring.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What you do is disconnect the sway bar and trackbar, plus remove your brake calipers and hang them up somewhere. Then you lower the axle as far as it will go. These releases the tension on the springs and then you can disconnect the lower arms and it'll drop all the way to the ground without the springs shooting out or anything. I used to use spring compressors but started doing it this way cuz it's easier and faster than tightening and loosening two spring compressors per spring.
good point muddeprived....when i get my 6" rustys front springs ill do it so i can see,and ill be doing ca's then most likely. for now its a parking lot princess till i get a job again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts