Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 grand Cherokee 4.0 that I got it was in a front-end collision I saved its life and rebuilt the old girl Funny thing it runs and drives great shifts hard and pulls great. runs like a swiss watch. But when I take it off-road and climb a hill if I stop on the hill it acts as if it goes into neutral and would even roll back if I did not press the brake . But if I give it a little gas it will grab hold and go right on up the hill is there anything I can do to fix this problem so it will stay engaged in the drive? I have 2 1990 Xj that's does not do it at all they just go where I point them.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
it sounds like as if your transmission is low on fluid. I would look at replacing the pressure governor solenoid, maybe the accumulator piston, consider changing out the TCC and 2/3 shift solenoids while your in there, and look into replacing the trans oil pump. All require someone opening up the trans... You also have to ask how many miles you have on that 42re? It may be time to consider a rebuild. These transmissions have a reputation for being weak(unfortunate considering what trans they were based on), and needy. They usually don't go much beyond 100k miles before needing a rebuild. Mine made it to 168k....

Also could be your T-case depending on which model. Though unlikely, you could have a 249 instead of a 242. The 249's had viscous coupler issues. Hard to say not knowing your rig's build..

Do keep in mind that I am not a transmission expert. Just going off of what my 98 GC's 42re has done in the past. Good luck and let us know what you find out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently started hearing a "clicking" type noise in my 2019 Latitude with 32k miles on it. It makes the sound mostly in speeds from 45-55 mph when hitting the accelerator after a turn in the foothills. The dealer couldn't get the sound to reproduce and wouldn't go out into the foothills due to distance. Does this sound like it could be transmission service issue? It's a sealed transmission, but I've seen on Jeep dealer websites that the tranny should be serviced between 30-50k miles. Anyone had this issue?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts