Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally thought I’d try and describe the sound and vibration I’m having with my stock 2001 XJ and ask what everyone thought could be the problem but decided it might be easier starting with what I THINK the problem is and how you could tell.

So, what signs would point to a front wheel hub going bad?

I haven’t removed either yet to inspect, but that’s the next step.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,255 Posts
A growling sound when driving. If you spin the wheel when off the ground it will sound like a dry bearing

Reactions: Fotomon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A growling sound when driving. If you spin the wheel when off the ground it will sound like a dry bearing
Sounds right. Initially I thought it was my new tires. Reviews said some thought the tires were “noisy” but the noise started getting worse. Great description calling it a “growling” sound.

Recently replaced a front right u-joint and was worried I’d not set it correctly. When I also replaced my front end differential fluid and cleaned the differential, I didn’t feel any metal flakes in old fluid or any signs of wear so didn’t think the issue was there. New disc brake pads/rotors also, as well as tie rod ends, etc.. I was down to hubs. They are original so looks like it’s time for new ones! Can’t think of anything else unless I’m missing something.

·
Premium Member
10,255 Posts
I think you have it narrowed down. Do yourself a favor, pay the extra money and get Spicer unit bearings. Other brands don't last as long

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you have it narrowed down. Do yourself a favor, pay the extra money and get Spicer unit bearings. Other brands don't last as long
I ordered Timken already. I had also heard some good stuff about theirs and have done work in their bearing factory. I guess I’ll see. Thanks again for your help. I must say I do love this forum.

·
Premium Member
10,255 Posts
Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it wasn’t the front wheel hubs/bearings! Replaced both and inspected U-joints, axle, brakes, etc while doing so. Also replaced my rear differential fluid and closely inspected everything there. All looks good. Had done the same with front differential recently when i started noticing this noise/vibration. So I’m back to square one.
Just to be clear, what I’m hearing and feeling isn’t real loud and only start noticing it primarily when I’m driving around 60-65 mph on highway. No connection to the engine. Faster or slower rpms have no affect. Vibration in steering wheel is slight but not normal and I hear a pitch change turning wheel slightly from side to side when driving at around that highway speed or greater.

I would have bet anything that it was one or both of those wheel hubs but obviously not.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Could it possibly be some really noisy tire tread pattern coming from my new tires???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts