Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
My brother bought me a HiLift for my birthday/xmas:thumbsup::D. He also got me the mounted brackets you can buy for them. Whether or not a use them, I was wondering where you guys have them mounted and maybe other than a roof rack because I dont have a basket yet. Does anyone have it mounted somehow where the inside spare tire would usually sit? Lets see some pics...

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Mine isn't mounted. It is still at the store. :(

·
Registered
307 Posts
how about to the cowl a bit in front of the wipers but not far enough to impede your hood opening...that'd be pretty sweet.

of course, there's always that surco roof rack

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
how about to the cowl a bit in front of the wipers but not far enough to impede your hood opening...that'd be pretty sweet.

I personally wouldn't want a 50-70 pound piece of metal sitting right infront of my windshield... just my opinion though.

When I had mine I used to just strap it down to the floor of the cargo area (backseat folded down), next to my spare. I didn't carry it at all times, only when I would go wheeling.

I have seen a thread or two on other forums about owners making a diagonal mount for them in the cargo area going from the floor to the roof. It was nice and out of the way, and bolted down well enough where it wouldn't unlatch and fly around during a flop/roll or collision.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Mine is mounted on the kitchen floor. :rofl:

Normally i just throw it in the back.

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

yeah i have seen this before. i think this is where COS has his mounted. and i do know about the surco roof rack haha. right now it is in the inside by the spare tire. it fits sideways in there.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hey guys,
My brother bought me a HiLift for my birthday/xmas:thumbsup::D. He also got me the mounted brackets you can buy for them. Whether or not a use them, I was wondering where you guys have them mounted and maybe other than a roof rack because I dont have a basket yet. Does anyone have it mounted somehow where the inside spare tire would usually sit? Lets see some pics...
Your brother cheated ... shoulda got you one gift for each, :D

Anyway, here's my mounted Hi-Lift. I figure if it's strong enough to hold a 30" inch spare, it'll hold the jack. Very firm, it doesn't budge an inch. Have to slide down the do-hickey at the top of the jack & also add a couple of washers to the mounting point.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I keep it there all the time because it's a pain for me to put in. Might be easier for you guys, especially if you don't have much in the trunk. My trunk stays loaded and I wanted to be sure that the jack could be moved in/out without removing anything.
Having said that, I really should move it when the XJ is parked because it's the only visible thing of "value" in the Cheokee. I keep everything else out of sight to reduce the chance of break-ins ... considering where I live.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Your brother cheated ... shoulda got you one gift for each, :D

Anyway, here's my mounted Hi-Lift. I figure if it's strong enough to hold a 30" inch spare, it'll hold the jack. Very firm, it doesn't budge an inch. Have to slide down the do-hickey at the top of the jack & also add a couple of washers to the mounting point.

I always had mine mounted like that but only when wheeling as the end sticks out past the door and I would bag my head on it when helping the dog or the kids in and out.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I always had mine mounted like that but only when wheeling as the end sticks out past the door and I would bag my head on it when helping the dog or the kids in and out.
no dog, no kids. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts