Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Where's the pretty picture?

889 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  HikerJeep 
#1 ·
'99 Jeep Cherokee XJ 5-spd manual; Where can I find a simple diagram of the drivetrain for the rig? Everything I've come across on-line seems to be parts diagrams -- not needed; I just want to see "this is this" and it is followed by "this" which is followed by "this" . . .

Thanks!

#2 ·
Can't say I remember seeing a real good one anywhere, but there isn't much to see in what you are describing.
Starting at the front of the vehicle, you have the engine, bolted to the transmission, bolted to the transfercase behind it, which splits to send power forward to the front axle, and backwards to the rear axle. That covers power and drive trains.

Is there something you are unsure of what it is specifically?

#3 ·
Thank you. So:
  • The shifter goes directly into the transmission, or is there a "gear box" for it?-
  • Where is the clutch/hydraulics? Part of the transmission, or behind it, or by the transfercase?
  • Basically, I'm attempting to get a clearer picture so that I can better isolate some "running noises" that seem to be related to the clutch as far as I can tell.
Again, thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.