Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2000 - 74k - $?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I'm obviously new here. Hopefully this is the right sub to post this in. There's a place a couple hours away from me that has a few Cherokees and I'm having a hard time deciding which is going to be the better choice. I'm learning little by little about the common issues with certain model years but the clock is ticking on when someone else might snag the better of them so I'm coming to you guys to get some advice.

2001 - 80k miles - $6k
Door bottoms and rockers have some rust. This one is listed on their site with photos, I'm not sure if I can post links to ads here though so I'll wait to see if that's allowed.
2000 - 128k miles - $8k
This one is listed with photos and such as well. I'm liking this one a lot more than the 01 because it doesn't have nearly as much rust.
1999 - 191k miles
It is apparently from Georgia.
This one is not listed yet so no photos or price.
2000 - 74k miles
Lifted.
1 owner.
This one is not listed yet either so no photos/price, but he said it will be the most expensive of the group.

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
99 is considered the best year to get

Reactions: manamongtheruins

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
The XJ with a 4.0L engine is considered one of the most long lived vehicles there are. 300K+ and many going over 400K without major engine or transmission repair.

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
My thoughts:
these vehicles are only getting older. At this age, only having 75K or so on the clock means it has spent a lot of its life sitting. Sitting kills vehicles faster than anything else. I would expect a lot of original parts on all of them, many probably getting ready to need replacement. A lift done by unknown persons usually means you inherit a bonus project because you have to fix everything they screwed up or left out. I own a 2001 and it was fine for a long time, but I did replace the head recently (taking care of the internet legend about bad head castings), and when I built my axles I swapped in a high pinion front. The 99 should be the only one with a factory front high pinion in your choices. It also has a better head casting. This is assuming that none of the others have had heads replaced or axles swapped. Find out which ones have a D35 rear and cross them off the list. Make sure they are all 4x4 and see what transfer cases they have. Take your pick there. I don't know your budget, but I don't think Id want to pay more than 3k for an XJ and still be dumping money in to make it reliable. You don't say if any have new tires or bad paint or broken leaf springs or anything else important or noteworthy in buying a vehicle. Have you crawled under all of them to verify rust status and the condition of the unibody??? You need to know what you are getting into.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My thoughts:
these vehicles are only getting older. At this age, only having 75K or so on the clock means it has spent a lot of its life sitting. Sitting kills vehicles faster than anything else. I would expect a lot of original parts on all of them, many probably getting ready to need replacement. A lift done by unknown persons usually means you inherit a bonus project because you have to fix everything they screwed up or left out. I own a 2001 and it was fine for a long time, but I did replace the head recently (taking care of the internet legend about bad head castings), and when I built my axles I swapped in a high pinion front. The 99 should be the only one with a factory front high pinion in your choices. It also has a better head casting. This is assuming that none of the others have had heads replaced or axles swapped. Find out which ones have a D35 rear and cross them off the list. Make sure they are all 4x4 and see what transfer cases they have. Take your pick there. I don't know your budget, but I don't think Id want to pay more than 3k for an XJ and still be dumping money in to make it reliable. You don't say if any have new tires or bad paint or broken leaf springs or anything else important or noteworthy in buying a vehicle. Have you crawled under all of them to verify rust status and the condition of the unibody??? You need to know what you are getting into.
Thanks for the lengthy reply! I will keep all this in mind when we go look at them

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The '99 isn't listed yet still but I managed to get the guy to send me a couple pics of it. We're gonna go check it out this Saturday! Anything specific I should be paying attention to when we test drive it? It has 191k miles

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Holy hell people want a lot of money for an xj. Just paid 7.5k for a 06 tj with a 6 speed. I like my xj, nothing can replace it, but it still doesn't have a true frame. Of course those problems can be solved with a welder and some steel, but still..... for that amount of money, you can probably shift your aim to something better bud.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Holy hell people want a lot of money for an xj. Just paid 7.5k for a 06 tj with a 6 speed. I like my xj, nothing can replace it, but it still doesn't have a true frame. Of course those problems can be solved with a welder and some steel, but still..... for that amount of money, you can probably shift your aim to something better bud.
Ya everything is real high right now around me

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Where are you located?
And what is the price for the '99?
I just came across this.

Now it is tough to tell the condition from the pics.
And being a NY Jeep as opposed to a Jeep from GA, like the one you posted, the no rust the seller says is debatable.
And you have to read between the lines.
I stalk Craigslist and I am pretty good at it.
For instance see the shot of the front driver's seat?
So he shows a picture but doesn't show the side of the seat.
Now they are almost always ripped to some degree.
So was that picture taken to not show that?
Was it on purpose?
And if it was what else is the seller not telling you?
But my point is the asking price is more in line with what I think it should be.
Even with the driver's seat being ripped to some degree. LOL.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where are you located?
And what is the price for the '99?
I just came across this.

Now it is tough to tell the condition from the pics.
And being a NY Jeep as opposed to a Jeep from GA, like the one you posted, the no rust the seller says is debatable.
And you have to read between the lines.
I stalk Craigslist and I am pretty good at it.
For instance see the shot of the front driver's seat?
So he shows a picture but doesn't show the side of the seat.
Now they are almost always ripped to some degree.
So was that picture taken to not show that?
Was it on purpose?
And if it was what else is the seller not telling you?
But my point is the asking price is more in line with what I think it should be.
Even with the driver's seat being ripped to some degree. LOL.
We're in Ohio. And they haven't posted the listing yet so we don't know the price. Was hoping to see it today but they said it's still in the shop, has low oil pressure and they're working on it. We're on our way to see the 2000 right now with 128k miles

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gonna go ahead and go for the 2000 with 128k miles! Trading in the Kia Rio for it. Should have it sometime this week or by the weekend when I can make it back up there. Here are some pics of it. It ran very well, no problems that I could tell. Shifted great, AC and heat both worked well, electricals seemed orderly except for two of the dome lights need new bulbs and the trunk light needs new bulb. I'm guessing the PO took the door check arms out of both front doors (I hear that the sounds they make when they open and close are pretty annoying? Wouldn't bother me, what bothers me is that the door won't stay open on it's own!) because they weren't there. 4wd worked great, didn't stumble or have a hard time getting out of 4h. Turned it lock to lock and it has some whining. Has some rust but it doesn't look bad at all. I think I will be able to clean it up and protect it with some kind of undercoat that I'll look into soon. I'm also researching old threads to see what maintenance should be taken care of when I get her home. I know the '99 would probably be a safer bet with it being from Georgia and it being a potential model year without the 0331 but it's still in the shop and this one looked and ran great so we're gonna go with it. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
Looks clean, no rust to speak of

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
That'll do just fine.

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts