Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 379 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
To do list

These are a few things we need to do on it.

Front axle u-joints
Transfer drop
Change all fluids
Tunes
Sliders
Under-armer

I can't wait to take it to the hills for the first time!!!

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
I Love it!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

:pop:

·
Marshmallow
3,780 Posts
Looks great, worth the wait I'd say.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dropped the transfer case.

They used thick washers (two) to drop it a 1/2 inch. The guy I bought the XJ from said he had no problem all the way up to 75 miles per hour. But I read that solid stock is stronger, I used a piece of wood as a template, I had a 1/2 inch bar and a 1/4 inch bar, so i welded them together and this is what I ended up. I hope it drives fine with only a 3/4 inch drop.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
FWIW, I only have a 3/4in drop as well and it works great! Still slight vibe letting off the gas around 50-55, besides that nothing. Oh, thats with 4in of rear lift on a 97+ XJ.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not driven on the highway yet (bought it during rush hour) I just figured it would be a better drop than washers and with a 1/4 more would not hurt any. We will see how it drives afterward. The reason I have not driven it is because it has a bad right front u-joint, I am almost done replacing both of them. Just need to reassemble everything. I can’t wait to go for my first run.
I was wondering if there will be any adjustments necessary to the transfer case shifter after we have dropped it?
I would like to do Red Elephant hill/Mill creek out of Downieville Co. as soon as I feel the Jeep is ready.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
With such a small drop there should be no issues. I didn't adjust anything, shifts fine. I think anything a inch or over will need alight modification.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Test Drive

I got the front axles u-joints and the trans. drop case done so I took my jeep on the highway last night. Drove great no DW.
The jeep has plenty of power, but the Check engine light comes on when I first start it. I have not checked the codes yet. I will try to do it soon. My son informed me that his light is coming on as well and his gas mileage went to pot. I checked his and it said it was the air conditioning clutch rely? The other code I'm not sure of. Before I act on it I want to recheck the codes.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Making the XJ trust worthy

First of all I want to thank everyone that supports this site. I have set up my son as a supporting member and will be doing the same for myself soon.

Well I bought this XJ knowing not everything is going to like new (especially one that is built for wheeling) so before I go exploring I want to fix these things. Plus I need to get the check engine light taken care of. (I am 99% sure it is because they put on some kind of cold air intake because this thing runs like a champ, but kicks on the engine light not sure but gonna start there.) So one of the first things I am doing is change the air filter back to stock. I also was having issues with the heater controls. So searching some threads on here and found the answer to what was wrong. When the previous owner installed the aftermarket bumper and just ditched the plastic air tank that makes the controls work. I landed a air tank off a 98 XJ at the salvage yard. I included a few photos. It is about half the size of my son 94 XJ and tucks under the bumper nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
First and foremost, your Cold Air Intake won't cause any trouble codes to to thrown.

Personally, i like my CAI because it gives my engine the ability to breath alittle better. If you still want to swap back to the original Airbox, that's perfectly acceptable also.

You can very easily check for codes on your '91 by flipping you ignition key switch a few times...

The “Key Tricks”

Older (OBD-I) models – Start with the ignition off. Within five seconds, switch the key on, off, on, off, on. (“On” is NOT “Start” and “Off” is NOT “Lock”). The “check engine” light will flash. Count the flashes. Each code is a two digit code, so a (for example) 23 would be FLASH FLASH (pause) FLASH FLASH FLASH (long pause). It will never flash more than 9 times, so watch for those pauses!

You will always end the sequence with a 55, for "End Of Codes".

And here is a list of your OBDI codes...

http://xjjeep.com/2007/09/24/obd-codes/

Hope this helps
;)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What front Bumper is that?
The bumper came with the Jeep so I don't know. It is really nice though, as soon as I get the winch I want I will fab. a piece to go over it out of round stock, my tub bender and mig welder, like the guard the Hanson company has on their bumper, not a stinger but it goes over the top of the winch.

My bumper is a lot like the Hanson bumper if you look it up on the Quadratec site. http://www.quadratec.com/products/72222_8301.htm

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First and foremost, your Cold Air Intake won't cause any trouble codes to to thrown.

Personally, i like my CAI because it gives my engine the ability to breath alittle better. If you still want to swap back to the original Airbox, that's perfectly acceptable also.

You can very easily check for codes on your '91 by flipping you ignition key switch a few times...

The “Key Tricks”

Older (OBD-I) models – Start with the ignition off. Within five seconds, switch the key on, off, on, off, on. (“On” is NOT “Start” and “Off” is NOT “Lock”). The “check engine” light will flash. Count the flashes. Each code is a two digit code, so a (for example) 23 would be FLASH FLASH (pause) FLASH FLASH FLASH (long pause). It will never flash more than 9 times, so watch for those pauses!

You will always end the sequence with a 55, for "End Of Codes".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyG3-lr8rWY&feature=related

And here is a list of your OBDI codes...

http://xjjeep.com/2007/09/24/obd-codes/

Hope this helps
;)
Thank-you for sharing this but, the reason I don't want the cold air intake is not just because I feel it has something to do with the light; it has more to do with the way it was done. I feel it does give my XJ a big boost but the guy installed it in a way that it is sucking all the hot air in the engine bay (there is a thread debating the whole cold air intake thing), so I would rather go back to a stock intake (also my brother in-law had a jeep with one on it and it caused problems with codes because when they went back to stock it fixed it. Maybe it was just installed the wrong way?). As for the codes I already know how to get them (my son has a 94) before I worry about codes I need to get the alternator replaced. So that I can be sure that the codes are not false due to low amperage. I had it checked and it is not putting out enough amps. Once I fix the recharging system I tackle the codes.

By the way I was wondering how you would clear the codes. That is one thing I don't know. Do I have to have them cleared with a code reader? When we did my sons Jeep the code was for the o2 sensor we replaced it and I don’t remember how the light was dealt with. My book says to pull the neg. battery terminal on certain years but says nothing about 91-98????

·
Marshmallow
3,780 Posts
Pull the neg cable and leave it off for at least 30 min and it sould clear the codes.

·
Registered
900 Posts
pull the neg cable off cycle the key, step on the brakes, turn the headlights on, anything power related will drain all the power from the jeep other than that in the battery its self of course. this causes the OBD-2 ecu to reset its memory codes wise anyhow other than it will read code 12 i believe it is and that's the code for battery disconnected within the last 50 key cycles. this code does not turn the CEL on but if you do the code reading procedure it will come up.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pull the neg cable and leave it off for at least 30 min and it sould clear the codes.
I had the battery completly out of the Jeep (the whole night), But I did not cycle everything like the poster after you said to do. Thanks guys for the info. I will try these things.

1 - 20 of 379 Posts