Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
341 - 360 of 384 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I love White Shadow. Such good character.

·
Super Moderator
10,988 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #344 ·
I would like to see all the cool areas of our country. We are so lucky to get to explore all over. But it is really nice to live close enough to enjoy the mountains here. I can't imagine living in Telluride and in the summer having trails like Imogine pass to take you on over to Ouray. Those trails might not be the most challenging, but they certainly are some of the most scenic I have ever seen. I plan on making the drive over to that area at least once a year now that I have had the pleasure to actually run a few of those trails last August.

I really want to go to Moab, drive some of the trails there and explore the Canyonlands National Park. A couple of guys are going down there from the club I belong to. I wish I didn't have so much work on my plate right now I would love to go!

·
Premium Member
1,717 Posts
There are many, many others that are not on any tour book listings. Some open range and some in the high tops, and most of which are not heavily traveled by every Texan with an F150. I suppose a lot like rim-rocker trail out of Montrose, but with many more summits.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #346 ·
DaingMaing Thanks I am really interested in some that won't terrify my wife. I don't mind the crowds. They are out for the same reason I am. I think she will enjoy Cinnamon pass and a few others. Baby steps and she just might go more often.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #347 · (Edited)
Life changes

Ok it has been a while since I have done a u-date on my rig/trailer and things going on's. A lot of changes with things for sure that I hope will give me and my wife the opportunity to take the time off we have really been wanting to but couldn't with me running my own lawn/snow removal biz.

For the past three years we have been scaling back on how many clients (from 45 to 25 in 3 years) we were servicing (My wife does the books) so that we could take mini vacations. In July and August the lawns growth slows to the point that we could adjust the cutting days to manage 6 days off in a row. First year we got to go to Ocean City Maryland where my sister-in-law graciously had us hang out with them in their Condo. The next year we got to do the trip to Moab via the Rim Rocker trail. And this summer we went down to the Grand Canyon (Williams Arizona). But each of these trips just was just too short.

So after a lot of soul searching on my (and my wife) I decided to sell my client list to someone who can take care of their needs. I kind of did all this with out a real lead on a job to replace my income because going into the winter the snow removal was hit and miss anyways. I had an idea of what I wanted to do and almost applied for the job (food services for our local school system) at the beginning of the summer, But we had already made our vacation plans for the summer and did not want to give that up and I wanted to do right by my customers that I have had for over 10 years, so I waited since I really could replace my income that we scaled back to with just about any sort of job. Well with the season wrapping up I decided to see if the job I almost applied for was listed???? It was so in mid October I applied for it. Got a call 3 weeks later, interviewed for the position and as of Friday have put in two weeks with the new position.

Now you all are probably thinking? Why would I want a job like this? It is extremely hard work? Doesn't pay well? But I can answer this for you and I think you will understand. This position is 6 hours a day 5 days a week, 175 days a year. which should make up the difference we need to supplement my retirement income. It will also give me a lot of vacation time that I am looking forward to enjoying. My wife gets 5 weeks vacation so hoping we will get to travel a lot. And most of all get to do some overlanding/trail runs too.

I am still working on my trailer over the winter and hoping to get the long list of Mods going on the Xj for next years off road season.

Today I hope to get the new front brake lines in so that I can get the XJ back on the road.

·
Super Moderator
10,988 Posts
I say Kudos to you Sir!! We spend some much of our lives working for someone else that we seldom get to enjoy the fruits of our labor. You have a sound plan, I hope you have many enjoyable vacations ahead!!

My wife and son both work in education, I get jealous sometimes when then get the summers off, But I am lucky enough to have a job that I earn lots of vacation, (currently have about 300 hours in the bank, which is about 40 days) and can take it whenever I want.

So, well done, well done. :boogie: :32:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #349 ·
Thanks Gluckmysock My wife gets 5 weeks a year but works retail so we can't get Thanksgiving and Christmas off but she manages to take any other weeks during the year though.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #350 ·
Wow! What a great holiday season. I only have a couple of days left from my first X-mas break from my new job. I have been off work since Dec. 20th. I think I can get used to this for sure. My family got me a few things I put on my list. My wife and my daughter both bought the same thing off my list. I got two small jump packs for my rig. A Duracell that is rated higher also larger than the DieHard one that my wife bought me. The Diehard one is so compact and convenient I plan to use it as a device charger and stow the other for emergencies. And my son bought me a new mic for my C.B.

Got to take some time to play in the mountains. On the Friday after X-mas I went up to a friends small cabin in South Park to hang out for the night. He is pretty stoked to have bought it last fall. It is pretty neat.

Then on New Years Day went with the 4x4 club I belong to for a fun day in the high country. They are reasonably priced and very beefy!

I also have been working on my kitchen floor. I have until Tuesday to get-er done. (kind of my chore the should have came before my play time).

Also yesterday my upper controls arms arrived. So stoked to now have the parts to go ahead and install the drop brackets on my rig.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #351 ·
The cabin trip!

Here are a few photos of the cabin trip. On our way out from the cabin we ran into a herd of pronghorn deer. The was about 200 deer in the herd and we got to watch them bound across the valley pretty cool!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #352 ·
Switzerland tral, New Years Day run.

Here are a few Photos of our run up near Boulder Colorado. The last photo I believe is Longs Peak.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Looks GD fun

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #354 ·
I bought some fixed lower control arms from a seller from E-bay tonight. (My whole Xj is a Hodge Podge of other peoples cast-offs anyways) Once I have them here I will have what I need to go ahead and install my drop brackets. I can't wait for my Xj to ride smoother on the road. I know long arms would be better but I am on a budget. and really don't do many super hard trails.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
You will love the drop brackets. Mine rides and drives great

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #358 ·
We went up to Bunce/Ironclades. I'm not much for snow wheeking but often can't resist getting up in the mountains, we are so lucky to have them so close.

You have been doing some nice up-grades to your rig. Have you had the chance to see how it acts on the trail yet? The 4x4 club I run with, one of the guys goes almost every week end. He lives up in the area and enjoys wheeling every chance he gets.

I'm in the middle of putting on the drop brackets and the weather put a wrench in it till Saturday.
I am hoping to have my rig back together for the get together on March 16th we are going to play at Rainbow falls/little Moab. Let me know if you want to join us?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Awe dang, I have to work that day actually work that day. I work every 7th saturday and thats the day lol. But i can't wheel until i get the over the axle track bar installed. Im supposed to get the track bar set up next week and then just need to find the time to do it and a warm day too lol.

341 - 360 of 384 Posts