Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
361 - 380 of 384 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #361 ·
So a little progress on my front end (Drop brackets and paint the track bar) . Going to work a little on it tomorrow morning. Can't wait to move it to a level area so I can start on my frame stiffeners.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,988 Posts
Veddy nice! I think I'm gonna get drop brackets and go up to 4.5" til I can afford long arms. Looks good.

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
Nice of him to pose for you :D

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #365 · (Edited)
I think it is injured because he came down to a bush next to our house and has soent the evening there. Trying to contact birds of prey to see what can be done? There are lots of cats in our area and I have a small dog, he keeps the cats away but the bird might get agitated.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #367 ·
Veddy nice! I think I'm gonna get drop brackets and go up to 4.5" til I can afford long arms. Looks good.
Thanks, I hope that going up to 6"s of lift will work out with everything. If not I will have to splurge on some adjustable lower control arms to bring it back down to 4.5"s, I have no plans to do long arms. I just want my ride to be smoother on the road. I am going for more of a Overlanding type of rig. I hope to take a lot of multi day trips with the trailer in tow. Ouray is a special place, I will go down there as much as I can. I hope to do Moab/Canyonlands to Bryce Canyon to go hiking as well.

·
Super Moderator
10,988 Posts
Thanks, I hope that going up to 6"s of lift will work out with everything. If not I will have to splurge on some adjustable lower control arms to bring it back down to 4.5"s, I have no plans to do long arms. I just want my ride to be smoother on the road. I am going for more of a Overlanding type of rig. I hope to take a lot of multi day trips with the trailer in tow. Ouray is a special place, I will go down there as much as I can. I hope to do Moab/Canyonlands to Bryce Canyon to go hiking as well.
I really hate you people that have Moab in your back yard. No, Just kidding. Sorry not sorry. :D

I have adjustable UCA's but fixed lowers, which are for 3.5" lift.

'member;

:worthlesswithoutpic

·
Super Moderator
10,988 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #370 ·
Yeah the girl who handled him said he had head trauma and a broken wing. It was pretty obvious when we got him to hop down to the ground that as he was scrmbling to get away his wing was broken. She said it is 50/50 that he would get healthy enough to return to the wild. I was very fortunate to see him for as long as I did. I got to sit and observed him for hours and hours. Before they returned my call. It took me a while longer to get things ready for the capture. And get my wife and son on board with catching him. (They were pretty worried about his talons getting me).

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #371 ·
Moab

I really hate you people that have Moab in your back yard. No, Just kidding. Sorry not sorry. :D

I have adjustable UCA's but fixed lowers, which are for 3.5" lift.

'member;

:worthlesswithoutpic
Moab isn't exactly in my backyard, but it is only a 6hour drive from us. Along the way is so many great trails. I hope to run Moab during the Thanksgiving break this year if anyone from our local club is interesed. The really great thing about wheeling here in Colorado is that the trails are not ohv parks were you have to pay a fee to go each time you go. The only fee is buying a yearly ohv sticker ($25) every March to help fund trail maintenance and keeping the trails open. Atvs and the such also have to go through a inspection on first time sticker purchases to make sure they are safe.

·
Super Moderator
10,988 Posts
Yeah the girl who handled him said he had head trauma and a broken wing. It was pretty obvious when we got him to hop down to the ground that as he was scrmbling to get away his wing was broken. She said it is 50/50 that he would get healthy enough to return to the wild. I was very fortunate to see him for as long as I did. I got to sit and observed him for hours and hours. Before they returned my call. It took me a while longer to get things ready for the capture. And get my wife and son on board with catching him. (They were pretty worried about his talons getting me).
I'm happy you got him in good hands. I'm guessing hit by a car. But he stands a much better chance of surviving now. Kudos to you sir :32:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #373 ·
I am hoping that the drop brackets and track-bar is where it ends as far as up-grading the front suspension. There is really to much $$$$$ going into my rig that it's got-ta stop somewhere. I have so much more to get done else where.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 · (Edited)
So when I went to install my track-bar and it would have mounted to the bracket a half inch short. So I need to make a new adjustable bracket. I am almost finished I'll get some pictures up once it is welded up and mounted on the axle. But here a some of were I am at.

I can't wait to pull my leaf springs and get the new ones in to see if the Jeep sits level. I would hate to have to make some adjustable hanger brackets also but...… If I have to I will. I have a feeling I will need to get longer E-brake cables too. If so I am going to hold out on that until the Dana 44 is installed. So I can get some that will work with the Dana 44 instead of the 8.25

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the results on this. I used some 2X4X3/16" square tube to make a new heavy duty mount for my sons TJ

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #376 ·
Been a while since I have updated my build thread. I have been working on my suspension, installed the drop brackets, adjustable control arms, leaf springs, put in my new t-case with SYE, bought a wj driveshaft (rebuilt it) and adjusted the rear pinion angle with shims for now. I'm trying to make sure I have the suspension dialed in and from there we will tackle re-building the Danna 44 I purchased a while back. I'm planning on going wheeling with a group on Saturday I'll try to take some pictures for this thread.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #378 · (Edited)
So as I really was pleased with the way my rig performed on the trail I didn't get any action shots of it because I was by myself with the group. But here are a couple stills. We went to a OHV area which is doable this time of year. During the summer though you might as well stay home as it is over run with atv's and side by sides. There was another Xj in our group. pretty nice!

The nice thing about Colorado is it doesn't have many parks that charge daily fees to go wheeling at. They just have a sticker that you purchase once a year to help support the maintenance of those areas ($25 every OHV vehicle are required to have including licensed rigs) not all trails in Colorado require the sticker and I have never had a ranger check for them on Licensed rigs in OHV areas (but technically in those OHV areas we should have it).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
It all looks like fun to me. Thanks

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #380 ·
Well it's time to get some work that I've been putting off done. Starting on my Holigan off road frame stiffiners, my Xj has been suffering from structural fatigue, my door Jams have cracks appearing on both sides. Since these stiffiners wrap around the frame I have removed the muffler system so that I have better access to welding them in. This is my second set I have installed so it should go well. This is also setting up a few more installs like my Rocker sliders and my new Rustys t-case skid plate, and fabricating the rear support for my drop brackets. (I have a pretty cool idea on how I will make them! Can't wait to share that with you.)

361 - 380 of 384 Posts