Premium Member
10,534 Posts
I have stiffened my frame, glad I did

Reactions: DaingMaing

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 · (Edited)
Another little update which I already shared in the WDYDTYXJ thread is my clock/switch plate.
It's pretty cool, wired into the light switch so it dimes slightly for night driving.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 ·
So I guess I'm reviving an old thread, sorry guys, I haven't been very active on CT. But I still have my rig and still want to be a part of this great bunch of 4x4 enthusiasts.
I started experiencing a lot of front end noises with my rig. Popping and it seemed to be coming from several places in my steering system. Because I always go wheeling on new years day I needed to adress my concerns. I found a lot of problems that all probably contributed to the problem.
1rst, I found that the holes in the lower control arm brackets on the axle where wollowed out. So when I backed up the axle was shifting on the bolt, I'm sure contributing to the popping noises. I took four thick fender washers with a smaller size hole and drilled them to the exact size of the bolt. Welded them to the bracket to fix the slop.

2nd, I found the track bar I put on which at first was great, but as time went on. The Johnny joint had frozen up from moisture, I even lubed the joint almost every time I took it wheeling. I think they are junk. Solution, well I was extremely fortunate to come across someone who was selling xj parts from his storage garage. I bought a used track bar and bracket from him for $80. It wasn't as simple as unbolting and installing it because I weld my previous bracket with 1 inch welds to insure it doesn't go anywhere. So an afternoon of cutting and grinding with my angle grinder I got it removed, of course I welded the others bracket the same way.

3rd thing I did was replace the lower control arm with none adjustable ones. The control arms ctrl I had would not lock solid with the jam nut. So there was movement in the arms. I feared that some day they might wollow out and separat. Like what happened one day a MJ on a trail run I went on. I had to a l so do some adjustments to the upper to get the pinion angle right.

After doing all this, I am pleased with how it now drives and the noises are pretty much eliminated.

·
Premium Member
10,534 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. Have you tried waterproof grease. I live in a drier area, but my flex joints, though larger than Johnny Joints, never have a problem

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #387 ·
I really don't know why they end up seized up, but it is not isolated to my track bar, a friend has basically the same setup (just different brand) and his is seized up as well. The trackbar I got is a Rough Country track bar, it has rubber clevite bushings, hope they are less prone to wearing out prematurely. But it really isn't a very expensive unit to replace if it does. We'll have to wait and see.

·
Premium Member
10,534 Posts
Interesting.
Grass Tape measure Font Auto part Fashion accessory

These are the joints my track bar is mad of. Greasable, adjustable and all plated. Never had a problem with them. Bought some more to make more suspension goodies

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #389 ·
I'll have to try and take a picture of mine. I can't even pry it with a long screw driver to get it to move. That's how frozen up it is. I also think the new track bars bracket lines up much better with how the axle moves up and down.

I think that a person gets what you pay for too. The track-bar that I had purchased was something that looked great off ebay, but I should have ponied up the first time and bought one from a more reputable manufacturer. Hate being on a budget!

·
Premium Member
10,534 Posts
I understand budgets entirely

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Might look into Duroflex joints from metalcloak. No maintenance required. And they flex like crazy. Glad you have the problems sorted for the moment!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #392 ·
Yeah for the moment, wheeled it on New Years day and have been enjoying driving it back n forth from work. One small detail on my alignment is that the steering wheel needs to get realigned. But it has bottomed out so I need to remove the side threaded ball joint end that goes to the pitman arm and do some shaving, then it will be good. I just engore my OCD and enjoy driving it in a straight line without have to pull it back to center on the road.

381 - 392 of 392 Posts