Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had this jeep since late december it had a oil change then and hasnt seemed to lose or burn any since. but when i drive hard or for a long time i smell burning oil.what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
ive had this jeep since late december it had a oil change then and hasnt seemed to lose or burn any since. but when i drive hard or for a long time i smell burning oil.what do you guys think?
Have you changed those "O" rings on the piece that the oil filter goes on?

Under heavy load I would get a little bit of oil hitting the exhaust pipe and it would smoke like hell. I didn't smell oil, but I sure saw it.

I haven't change those "O" rings yet, but I was going to do that before tackling the rear main seal!!!

I get oil splatters on my back hatch. The only thing I can find that needs topping off is my NP242. I think it's the front seal leaking. I have it I just need to change it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what o rings? hmm never hear of that. i think i have what kyle is describing. valve cover looks iffy im worried my front diff is leaking alot! i know its leaking a little and i need to check the level but im being lazy and im mostly driving the mustang but i wanna check it before i burn it up from lack of gear oil

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
what o rings? hmm never hear of that. i think i have what kyle is describing. valve cover looks iffy im worried my front diff is leaking alot! i know its leaking a little and i need to check the level but im being lazy and im mostly driving the mustang but i wanna check it before i burn it up from lack of gear oil
I just a quick search, check this out I think it will explain what I'm talking about better than my prior feeble attempt.

Jeep Engines - Oil Filter Mount O-Ring Replacement

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
My valve cover gasket is leaking like no tomorrow which causes a smell every once and awhile. But my jeep isnt losing much oil as I just checked when I changed it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont have a 4.0 i have the 2.5 does it use the same o rings?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
6,178 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya mine comes and goes aswell, im not too worried about it.
maybe theres no oil in it lol, that would suck.
well while u guys do your superbowl thing im off to the boneyard and then im going wheeln again if i can

1 - 13 of 13 Posts