Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 Jeep laredo was in the shop for aircon job last year but I noticed that even when the inside arrow botton is press in i still smell outside air.

Any help or recommendation?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Really?!?!? My little graphic on my environment control is lying to me?

Wait I need a picture...

Okay, it's just a graphic they put on the control, but I really thought it meant the air was recycled in this position...

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Hey Kyle, what are those 3 switches between the cigarette lighters? I only got two....rear defrost and rear wiper. :dunno:
Fog/Driving lights, because real Jeepers like to see where they are going. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
What on earth, I never noticed that before. I guess I have that too.

Well I've noticed that while sitting in traffic if I have it on the "fresh air" (non AC) setting I'll get the strong smell of diesel and cigarettes, so I'll cycle it over to the AC and turn up the temp. Smells go away.

Oh, and for you smokers out there.... What the hell is the deal with your smoking with the windows down?!?!? I thought the point of smoking was to maximize the toxicity levels of the burning leafs in your lungs. Keep the window rolled up please. :brickwall:

·
Registered
608 Posts
It's because the Jeep isn't an airtight, hermetically sealed area, so outside air will always blend in. The Recirc. selection just uses MOST of the air.

And BTW... My 98 has it, the 92 don't. And does anyone have one of those fog lamp switches or a full 3 switch panel?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
96 Jeep laredo was in the shop for aircon job last year but I noticed that even when the inside arrow botton is press in i still smell outside air.

Any help or recommendation?
The heater and optional air conditioner are blend-air type systems. In a blend-air system, a blend-air door controls the amount of unconditioned air (or cooled air from the evaporator on models with air conditioning) that is allowed to flow through, or around, the heater core.

A temperature control knob on the heater-A/C control panel determines the discharge air temperature by controlling an electric motor, which moves the blend-air door. This allows an almost immediate control of the output air temperature of the system. The mode control knob on the heater-only or heater-A/C control panel is used to direct the conditioned air to the selected system outlets. Both mode control switches use engine vacuum to control the mode doors, which are operated by vacuum actuator motors.

On air conditioned vehicles, the outside air intake can be shut off by selecting the Recirculation Mode with the mode control knob. This will operate a vacuum actuated recirculating air door that closes off the outside fresh air intake and recirculates the air that is already inside the vehicle. The optional air conditioner for all models is designed for the use of non-CFC, R-134a refrigerant. The air conditioning system has an evaporator to cool and dehumidify the incoming air prior to blending it with the heated air.

This air conditioning system uses a fixed orifice tube in the liquid line near the condenser outlet tube to meter refrigerant flow to the evaporator coil. To maintain minimum evaporator temperature and prevent evaporator freezing, a fixed pressure setting switch on the accumulator cycles the compressor clutch.
Based on this I would look for a vacum line issue (off hole etc...) door linkage broken, missing, not connected...

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
It's because the Jeep isn't an airtight, hermetically sealed area, so outside air will always blend in. The Recirc. selection just uses MOST of the air.

And BTW... My 98 has it, the 92 don't. And does anyone have one of those fog lamp switches or a full 3 switch panel?
You don't want the switch, well not the way it comes from the factory. Mine melted with in the first 30k, dealer replaced it and it went out again. So I fixed it!!! It's been fine since. They are passing too much current through that switch, it melts internally.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Oh, that sounds pleasant.... I just wanted it for the factory look...
But I guess it's like Meatloaf said.... 2 out of 3 ain't bad...

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Oh, that sounds pleasant.... I just wanted it for the factory look...
But I guess it's like Meatloaf said.... 2 out of 3 ain't bad...
Well I was thinking after I wrote that, that would be a great place for a locker switch, or additional lighting switch. Just run the switch to a relay and let it take the current. If I hadn't fixed mine that is what I would have done.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts