Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Wouldn't meet crash specs. They'd have to redesign the whole thing. So, the marketing morons took it as an oppertunity to build a bunch of junk that the consumer didn't want.

And like that, chrysler goes B-B-B-B-BROKE.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Add optional factory lockers and decent axles (JK rubicon stuff, basically), and a lot more people WOULD be interested.

Add a small diesel option. They wouldn't be able to keep them on the lot. I think the CRD libbys proved that.

But nope.

But, if you move to china you can still buy a brand new XJ!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My best guess it was 90% due to DC's Marketing Dept decisions and 10% due to stricter emissions standards on the horizon. Either way I think it could have gone a couple more years than they did.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Add optional factory lockers and decent axles (JK rubicon stuff, basically), and a lot more people WOULD be interested.

Add a small diesel option. They wouldn't be able to keep them on the lot. I think the CRD libbys proved that.

But nope.

But, if you move to china you can still buy a brand new XJ!
I dont think the diesel thing would take enough to put it into production even so If they can make hummers pass emission standards I think they can make the XJ.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
My guess is that there wasn't a big enough market for them. If a person wants an offroad car, they would have bought a wrangler, and if they wanted a street SUV, they would have bought one with IFS (better handling on the road), so that leaves the XJ out of the picture. Just my $.02.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Another thing that I think played a role was backseat size. Towards the end of the XJ era everyone was making larger "affordable" SUV's with more mom/child-friendly backseats. The doors of the XJ are pain to get kids in and out of, with childseats kids legs are right up against the back of the front seat, annoying parents. You can't sit 3 across comfortably with 2 babyseats, or hell even with 1 carseat in place. My aunt and uncle fell into this and had to sell their XJ - which they both absolutely loved - just because it wasn't "family friendly" enough.

The Liberty on the other hand provided more space back there, and made it family friendly.

I have also read that emissions and crash safety was an issue - but I scratch my head a tthat thinking that the TJ kept going until '06.

Another thing that started happening towards the end of XJ production was that SUV's were also going the route of Luxury - which the XJ wasn't exactly the king of. Yes, you could get the Limited with heated/power seats, but the ride was rougher (solid axles) and it wasn't a "luxury SUV". The Liberty, IMO looks more "fluff and luxury" when in the Limited trim, so it was a better seller.

These are just my .02 tho.

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
The small SUV market had pretty much taken over the auto industry, and even though the Cherokee was the forerunner of that market, it no longer met the standards being set by other automakers - i.e. a soccer mom alternative to the mini-van. The solid front axle was abandoned for an independent front suspension, and the cab was given more entry/exit room, more head room, a more ergonomic interior, and other amenities that were now industry standards. In a sense, the Cherokee was being overhauled to keep up with the market it created.

Then 9/11 happened, and what would have likely been called the 2002 Jeep Cherokee became the 2002 Jeep Liberty, while the world's market retained the original moniker. The sad thing is that automakers and auto critics have always considered the Cherokee a small SUV first, and a capable 4-wheel drive second, so in their eyes the XJ had become a barbaric relic and was being surpassed by its competition, thus the redesign from the ground up. The circumstances were tragic, but I'm glad the decision was made to call it the Liberty rather than the Cherokee in the U.S. market, because it bares no semblance to the XJ in the eyes of the XJ faithful.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yup, barbaric relic pretty much describes my XJ ... but then Conan is a barbarian and he kicks all categories of butt .... much like the XJ

Thanks for the inspiration 'Blue, my XJ has been officially renamed from "Wandering Willy" to "Conan The Barbaric Relic"

lol, or .... Gonad the Barbellian :)

:cheers:

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Yup, barbaric relic pretty much describes my XJ ... but then Conan is a barbarian and he kicks all categories of butt .... much like the XJ

Thanks for the inspiration 'Blue, my XJ has been officially renamed from "Wandering Willy" to "Conan The Barbaric Relic"

lol, or .... Gonad the Barbellian :)

:cheers:
:rofl: Glad I could help. I actually read a review of the Liberty when it came out that referred to the XJ as "barbaric". I guess it just stuck with me, cuz I rather enjoy by barbarian and all its barbarism. :pop:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts