Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone had dealt with the wilco hitch gate? Was trying to find a way of hauling my spare and still be able to pull trailers and everything but didnt want to spend a fortune on an aftermarket bumper.

I have read a couple reviews and everyone says they like it alot, but i wanted too check and see if anyone on here had used it on an XJ.

heres a link to their site TireGate.com - The Ultimate Spare Tire Carriers!

TireGate.com - The Ultimate Spare Tire Carriers! <thats what i was thinking of getting.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
Nice set up. But its $750, You can go Detours tailbone system for a liitle more then half that
XJ TailBone

·
Registered
84 Posts
They never show a side shot of those systems......I'd like to see how far
they stick out.

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
There are so many better options for Jeeps. JCR, Olympic, Warn, AJs, Nate's... and of course the Detours Tailbone system if you want to retain the factory bumper skin. Those just don't seem to built with XJs in mind, whereas the aforementioned companies build their bumpers and tire carriers for JEEPS.

But I will say that if I had a fullsize Chevy pickup, that tailgate replacement with the spare tire mount is pretty effin' sweet.

·
Registered
342 Posts
There are so many better options for Jeeps. JCR, Olympic, Warn, AJs, Nate's... and of course the Detours Tailbone system if you want to retain the factory bumper skin. Those just don't seem to built with XJs in mind, whereas the aforementioned companies build their bumpers and tire carriers for JEEPS.

But I will say that if I had a fullsize Chevy pickup, that tailgate replacement with the spare tire mount is pretty effin' sweet.
I'd have to agree if I had a full size truck I would go for one of the tailgate jobs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
pricey indeed!!!!!!!!!! for the amount they want. you can buy a small mig welder and teach yourself to weld and make your own. there is probably not more than $50 in steel in it. and then you have the welder to make your bumpers to my bumpers cost me $70 eachin steel, roof rack the way i wanted it $40. it is easier than you think.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input! Ive never really looked into the tailbone but i called today and for the hitch gate shipped to my door with license plate relocation kit from CA or where ever they are from to North Georgia it was a little under $800, but they did split the shipping with me so that helped alot.

Thanks again everyone! By far the best forum/member combo ive ever been with!

·
Registered
410 Posts
You don't seriously plan to buy that thing, do you?

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
Thanks for all the input! Ive never really looked into the tailbone but i called today and for the hitch gate shipped to my door with license plate relocation kit from CA or where ever they are from to North Georgia it was a little under $800, but they did split the shipping with me so that helped alot.

Thanks again everyone! By far the best forum/member combo ive ever been with!
:thumbsup:

which one did you end up buying? the wilco or the tailbone? either way, show us some pics when you get whatever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts