Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know about/have a link to swapping a 231/242 into a '00 WJ with a 247?

·
Banned
851 Posts
copied from NAGCA

This thread is to help compile information for those who want to swap out Transfer Cases (TC) on there and ZJ's and WJ's...There are many people that want to know what year and case that they can "direct" bolt up to.. I am no means the most knowledgable on this subject with ZJ's TC..So if someone wants to add ZJ info or continue this thread by all means please do so.

Solitude has a great write up on swapping 249<242 for ZJ's
http://www.nagca.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26048

Geesaw posted this great site for finding spline counts, output styles, and exposed lengths of input shafts.
http://www.nagca.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36672

WJ TC swap
This swap is for a V8 WJ's ONLY!! The WJ's with the 4.7 used the 45RFE and 545RFE tranny.

TRANSER CASE: 247 to 242WJ/HD

242WJ and a 242HD will bolt right up to these tranny's..The 242HD can only be found in 2002-2003 WJ with a V8 and can run around $800 bones for a used one at a junk yard...

242WJ that I found is out of a 2001 WJ with a V8...i have been told that it is also know as a 242LD and won't work and wont match up...well i was right it does match up...as far as strength people say that the 242HD is suppose to have stronger gears but as of yet i have no troubles with this TC...

The input shaft length of the 247 is 2.50" long so therefor your 242WJ/HD will need to be the 2.50" long.

SHIFTER AND CABLES:

To help see what range your in you need to replace the shift bezel..this is not a "must" but it can help out.
Mopar Part number: 52109671AB

On the side of the TC there is a small lever that cable connects to that controls what range your in...make sure you have this because the one from the 247 is to long to swap over.

On the side of the Tranny the TC shifter cable runs through a bracket to the TC...if your bracket has TWO holes you will need to move the cable to the lower bracket to properly align the cable for shifting...If your bracket only has one hole you will need to purchase the correct bracket with two holes or do what i did and "customize" the exsiting bracket.

DRIVE SHAFTS:

To run your WJ you will need the rear DS from the 242WJ/HD came from, the stock rearshaft from the 247 is to 2.50" to long.

If you have a 1999-2001 WJ, you might have a CV joint at the transfer case instead of a u-joint. In this case you will need to also find a donor shaft out of a 2002-2003 V8 Grand Cherokee. Some people have swapped out there old output to the new transfer case. You can purchase a new front shaft from Tom Woods or a local drive line shop.

Electrical:
On the 242's there is a connection that tells you if your in 4x4 Low Range of High Range. On the 247 there are NO elertrical connection on the case that i am aware of...i have heard or people connecting these wires and using the function.. but i am unaware of what wires to connect.

LINKS:

www.car-part.com <--Great for finding TC

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch..._Code=IR-WFDCK <--for TOM Woods shafts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! Thanks Nick...You da Pimp!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Someone else did that swap recently on NAGCA on a WJ...I can't seem to find the thread though...maybe it disappeared when the site switched over...

If I find it again, I'll post the link...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anything on the 231 swap?,... i have a 2000 grand cherokee limited V8, my 247 case is shot and i have a 231 to swap in. Anything you guys wanna add to what im doing any ideas would be great. I bet ther 242 is better but finding one for a good price is gonna be hard for me. so i have the 231 i mine as well use it

·
This is Ames mister...
344 Posts
I would personally rather do the 231 so I've looked into a little bit and here's what I've found out so far...

There is no console plate to match the pattern of the 231. If you read the JP Magazine article you'll see they just put stickers on the old console so they know what gear they're in.

The input shaft has to be .84" (need to confirm this) in length - not positive on yours but for mine that's what I need (of course I have 2 231's sitting in the garage and 1 is the right length but it's the wrong spline count and the other is the right spline count but the wrong length...:brickwall:

You can modify your current linkage to work with the 231...

So if you can find a 231 with the correct input length it's pretty much a bolt in affair - except the driveshafts...:thumbsup:

EDIT: Another benefit of the 231 are the SYE's that are available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts