Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 WJ and it's unfortunantly a 2wd, im doing research on converting it to 4wd but im not getting a lot of info for specifically the WJ. Can anyone thats done the conversion tell me about it, what you needed, any issues that came up, etc etc. I just want to make sure im 100% prepared before i start getting parts for the conversion

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
You will need a donor vehicle for this. The front axle is a no brainer as long as it has the brake sensors. The transfer case I would recommend is the is the NP 242 and get the right shifter with it.

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. 1 of our regulars has a WJ, that came 4wd. and another sometimer has a 2wd ZJ. Several members have done 2wd to 4wd conversions. But, unfortunately they don't participate much lately. You can do some searching on here and get some info. Any specific question you can post and we will do our best to help you. Most of our jeeps come wired to be 4wd, just don't have the parts. The big 3 are gonna be front axle, transfer case and transmission. along with the ECM (Engine control module) and TCM. As 4.3 suggested a donor vehicle is your best bet.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Best advise is get a donor vehicle. I'm unsure about the 2nd configuration. There is I'm sure a bunch of little odds and ends stuff that would make you crazy (brackets ,bolts sensors, and wiring ). To answer your question , transfer case, shift linkage, center console,front drive shaft, front axle ,control arms . I'm Un sure about the transmission or the TCU. Don't know how well the ecm will play nice either. the ecm or TCU may need reprogrammed

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
I have an FSM for the WJ. I haven't seen anything about the ECU or TCU involved with the transfer case. I have been into the wiring for both. That is why I recommended the NP242 conversion. No electronics involved there. I should have also recommended the console linkage, which is cable. I am unsure of whether you can just add the tcase cable to the existing tranny linkage and change the bezel. I would have to get into one to know about that. I am unsure about the tail housing on the tranny, whether or not you can just change it or if you have to change the main shaft too

1 - 5 of 5 Posts