Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was planning to get the DetoursUSA rear bumper/tire carrier but it seems they don't have the bumper any more! :( All I see on their web site is the carrier, with the long awaited rear "tailbone". So now there is no sexy wrap-around to protect my quarters (which I desperately need since I have caved in one so far). I'm still planning on their carrier, but I'd like to get a more beefy bumper.

Can anyone say whether there is an aftermarket bumper that will allow the modification necessary to fit the Detours tailbone system?

Also, I know there are a couple of companies that make protection for the lower quarters ... can't recall who they are though. I do know of C-Rok. Any other ideas guys?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm pretty sure Detours is still going to offer at least one version of their Slimline rear bumper, I know it was mentioned in a thread on another forum. Send them an email or give them a call for exact details.

I know that Marty @ Rock Lizard Fabrications was supposed to be bringing back all his XJ parts, including his Gila Monster rear quarter guards, but his site is down and I'm not sure what the story is on that.

C-ROK has rear quarter guards, and they've got a wrap-around bumper too.

You might also look at RockHard4x4. It's pricey and not all that great looking IMHO, but it's got a lot of nice features, including wrap-around corners.

Hanson Off-Road has some rear quarter guards that look virtually identical to the RLF Gila Monster guards. They run about $159 though.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Well I was planning to get the DetoursUSA rear bumper/tire carrier but it seems they don't have the bumper any more! :( All I see on their web site is the carrier, with the long awaited rear "tailbone". So now there is no sexy wrap-around to protect my quarters (which I desperately need since I have caved in one so far). I'm still planning on their carrier, but I'd like to get a more beefy bumper.

Can anyone say whether there is an aftermarket bumper that will allow the modification necessary to fit the Detours tailbone system?

Also, I know there are a couple of companies that make protection for the lower quarters ... can't recall who they are though. I do know of C-Rok. Any other ideas guys?
OMG I had to go check his website, I was sure you were on drugs or something. I can't believe he took the slimlines off the site. I'm sure he can make you one as a custom. I am so glad I got mine when I did.

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
He is still mking them , but to order and I believe fewer options. Here is what he posted elsewhere.

"Hey guys/gals, thanks for all the kind words about Detours!

I dont get alot of internet forum time these days, I decided to take a break from writing and surf around abit when I ran accross this topic, so I registered to answer a question or two about the TailBone......

The $385 price tag.....What you have yet to see is the ammount of beef behind that stock bumper skin, it not only features inserts, but stock mounting points also get reinforcement, plus there are 2 full crossmembers within the system, 3/4" thick recovery points and the swing out carrier system......it's everything a full blown bumper system should be, yet keeps the stock appearance of any year XJ, and ships for half the price of full bumper systems.

Our Slim-Line Series Bumpers......This item will be moved to the 'Custom' section of our website, selection will most likely become limited to the 'Smoothie' & 'Edge-Cut' style only. Heres the deal, this bumper is an extremely time consuming item to build, shipping has become outragous and honestly 'yes', we really like the TailBone system, it breaks the cost barrier much like our BackBone did without skimping out on the meat & potatos.

Off-Set Carrier......The tire carrier is off-set for '3' reasons, 2 out of 3 have already been recognized....
1) Natural blind spot behind your head.
2) We have one of the shortest 'swing-outs on the market, it needs to be offset to allow the hatch to open, the short swing-out also reduces vibration within the system.
3) License plate & lighting....No need to fabricate a relocation bracket for your plate, let alone run wires for lighting that plate up at night. Depending on tire size your plate can remain in it's stock location, worst case would be you simply move it over a few inches from it's stock location.

I think this covers most questions, I hope it helps. While the TailBone is infact ready to role, the website may lag behind a few days, if there are additional questions, please post them here.

Hope you all have a GREAT New Year!

Mark
Detours LLC."

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure Detours is still going to offer at least one version of their Slimline rear bumper, I know it was mentioned in a thread on another forum. Send them an email or give them a call for exact details.

I know that Marty @ Rock Lizard Fabrications was supposed to be bringing back all his XJ parts, including his Gila Monster rear quarter guards, but his site is down and I'm not sure what the story is on that.

C-ROK has rear quarter guards, and they've got a wrap-around bumper too.

You might also look at RockHard4x4. It's pricey and not all that great looking IMHO, but it's got a lot of nice features, including wrap-around corners.

Hanson Off-Road has some rear quarter guards that look virtually identical to the RLF Gila Monster guards. They run about $159 though.
Thanks for the good info Jason. I've seen the Rock hard bumper & it has the very feature that most others have in that it completely blocks view out the rear, plus it partially blocks the reverse light. Not for me ... Jersey inspection would throw the book at me for that one.
The C4x4 bumper isn't bad, but I don't like the design of their carrier. Besides, I've been wanting the Detours for so long ... :( . I just can't afford it.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
He is still mking them , but to order and I believe fewer options. Here is what he posted elsewhere.

"Hey guys/gals, thanks for all the kind words about Detours!

I dont get alot of internet forum time these days, I decided to take a break from writing and surf around abit when I ran accross this topic, so I registered to answer a question or two about the TailBone......

The $385 price tag.....What you have yet to see is the ammount of beef behind that stock bumper skin, it not only features inserts, but stock mounting points also get reinforcement, plus there are 2 full crossmembers within the system, 3/4" thick recovery points and the swing out carrier system......it's everything a full blown bumper system should be, yet keeps the stock appearance of any year XJ, and ships for half the price of full bumper systems.

Our Slim-Line Series Bumpers......This item will be moved to the 'Custom' section of our website, selection will most likely become limited to the 'Smoothie' & 'Edge-Cut' style only. Heres the deal, this bumper is an extremely time consuming item to build, shipping has become outragous and honestly 'yes', we really like the TailBone system, it breaks the cost barrier much like our BackBone did without skimping out on the meat & potatos.

Off-Set Carrier......The tire carrier is off-set for '3' reasons, 2 out of 3 have already been recognized....
1) Natural blind spot behind your head.
2) We have one of the shortest 'swing-outs on the market, it needs to be offset to allow the hatch to open, the short swing-out also reduces vibration within the system.
3) License plate & lighting....No need to fabricate a relocation bracket for your plate, let alone run wires for lighting that plate up at night. Depending on tire size your plate can remain in it's stock location, worst case would be you simply move it over a few inches from it's stock location.

I think this covers most questions, I hope it helps. While the TailBone is infact ready to role, the website may lag behind a few days, if there are additional questions, please post them here.

Hope you all have a GREAT New Year!

Mark
Detours LLC."

Wow my rough cut slim line just got rare. Mark told me the rough cut slim line bumper was the most difficult to make bumper in his line. :(

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks for the good info Jason. I've seen the Rock hard bumper & it has the very feature that most others have in that it completely blocks view out the rear, plus it partially blocks the reverse light. Not for me ... Jersey inspection would throw the book at me for that one.
The C4x4 bumper isn't bad, but I don't like the design of their carrier. Besides, I've been wanting the Detours for so long ... :( . I just can't afford it.
What about the C4x4 don't you like?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I like that rear tailbone xj tire carrier,, that way I dont need to change the rear bumper just add this, might be on my list, or is that a complete bumper, it looks like stock..

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Message to Mark at DetoursUSA...

BTW, you have started a mild panic. You took the slimline bumper off
your website. At least one person on cherokeetalk.com is now lost. I
told him I was sure you'd still build him a slimline bumper.

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1610

Mark's reply...

Hehee.....Happens every time!
Sorry for the delayed reply, I had to run down to NC unexpectedly....

Here's a thread on the TailBone:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654767
lots of pics if you want to relay....and yes, your RoughCut is now exstinked, hope you enjoy it!

Here's to a Fantastic 2009!

Mark
Detours Llc.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about the C4x4 don't you like?
The C4x4 has the tire centered which blocks view. I wheel often in the NJ pines and I like to see out the back window. Backing up around trees just get treacherous if you can't see. I searched for years until I "found" the Detours carrier and it's perfect. My ideal carrier cannot obstruct any lights, and the tire must sit behind the driver.
Their rear bumper is okay. Wonder if I could fit the tailbone & carrier to that bumper ??? hmmm ...

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
The C4x4 has the tire centered which blocks view. I wheel often in the NJ pines and I like to see out the back window. Backing up around trees just get treacherous if you can't see. I searched for years until I "found" the Detours carrier and it's perfect. My ideal carrier cannot obstruct any lights, and the tire must sit behind the driver.
Their rear bumper is okay. Wonder if I could fit the tailbone & carrier to that bumper ??? hmmm ...
I seriously considered waiting for the tailbone. It's a beautiful idea. the only problem is the strength of the OEM bumper sucks. I mean the tailbone will carry the weight of the swing out and the spare, but that OEM bumper isn't going to hold up very well on the trail.

I also had someone bump into me while I was considering the two, so that helped me choose the full bumper replacement. ;)

I think that tailbone is a great idea, plus it allows you to keep the stock look.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Boy that Mudderoy is trouble...........:hi:.........:cheers:

As I read prior, no worries, our Slimline bumper is still available, although we are dropping the RoughCut edition, everything else remains the same.

As far as the TailBone goes, yes...the stock bumper skin is not very rugged, but on the same note, you can still buy them new for 38 bucks, not to mention used, same goes for our front bumpers, cheap.......that link provided to that other forum provides alot of info on the system.

StationWagon......Give me a call, I'd be more than happy to build you a full blown SlimLine Bumper System!

Mark
Detours Llc.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts

As I read prior, no worries, our Slimline bumper is still available, although we are dropping the RoughCut edition, everything else remains the same.

As far as the TailBone goes, yes...the stock bumper skin is not very rugged, but on the same note, you can still buy them new for 38 bucks, not to mention used, same goes for our front bumpers, cheap.......that link provided to that other forum provides alot of info on the system.

StationWagon......Give me a call, I'd be more than happy to build you a full blown SlimLine Bumper System!

Mark
Detours Llc.
Hey I do what I can. :rofl:

·
Registered
59 Posts

Mark
Detours Llc.
id love to see the rest of the pics of that tailbone so i can order both at the same time, it would be like buying one with the cost of those:thumbsup:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm sorry, I dont really understand the "order both" part of your statement, otherwise I'd love to contribute here.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Boy that

Mark
Detours Llc.
PM'd you

·
Registered
84 Posts
Phew ya.....emails work best, between pm's on different boards, board names, email address names, peoples real names, their 'nick names.......at the end of the day it gets pretty confusing..........as an example, StationWagon, I answered your pm with a question.......:pop:

Mudderoy.......I saw a pic of the rear of your XJ in a field, can you email me that full size or a link?? I like it!

I was emailed some of the website updates this evening......it's starting to look good!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Phew ya.....emails work best, between pm's on different boards, board names, email address names, peoples real names, their 'nick names.......at the end of the day it gets pretty confusing..........as an example, StationWagon, I answered your pm with a question.......:pop:

Mudderoy.......I saw a pic of the rear of your XJ in a field, can you email me that full size or a link?? I like it!

I was emailed some of the website updates this evening......it's starting to look good!
Sure. (I'll e-mail you this as well) We took that this morning with my wife's new camera.

Do you want the FULL FULL size or a JPG? I have it in 12mb NEF (Nikon RAW) format, or I have it in a JPG format, 3.41mb.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts