Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Cherokee XJ
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to lift my 96 XJ, 2 inches over stock, after the springs settle in, preferably, without spacers, or longer shackles; meaning, springs only. There's a lot of info out there on junk yard parts, bastard spring lifts, and other low budget goodies to make a swap. I see the kits are mostly 3 inches, and up, and pretty pricey. I'm wondering if anyone has applied the budget/junkyard principles, but used new, off-the-shelf parts to achieve a lift, less than 3 inches, for instance:

For the front, use new V8 spings for a Grand Cherokee, and for the rear, use Crown Heavy Duty leafs with the 7 inch Free Arch. I'm not certain what "7 inch Free Arch" means, though, some of the comments on the product page are reporting 2 to 3 inches of lift. I'm presuming that's without the springs settling in. Here's the Crown springs: Crown Automotive Heavy Duty Leaf Spring for 84-01 Jeep Cherokee XJ with 7" Free Arch for 84-01 Jeep Cherokee XJ

I realize that there's no set formula for this, and some experimentation is in order, but it looks like I can save $400 to $700 over a kit, by doing it this way, and that would include brake lines, and shackles. Also, no scrounging around junk yards to find what I need.

Comments? ... Suggestions, or recommendations?

Here it is in as-found form.

Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Land vehicle

·
Super Moderator
11,134 Posts
Zone offroad makes a 2" lift, but it uses front spacers. Check out the link in my Sig on budget mod parts.

·
Premium Member
10,434 Posts
Free arch is measured by drawing a straight line between spring eyes and measuring the distance to the center of the spring. Stock is 4"

Reactions: CoalCracker

·
Super Moderator
11,134 Posts
I just read the reviews for those springs, looks like they will give you your 2" of lift. The ride may be a little rougher.

·
Premium Member
10,434 Posts
I am not familiar with the WJ hemi springs. The stock 4.7 springs I have handled were shorter than XJ springs. So I am looking forward to seeing the results here

·
Premium Member
10,434 Posts
OK, much better. I installed a set of those on a friends Jeep. We did that with a 2" front spacer and S10 rear bastard pack and got a 3.5" lift. That was probably 8 years ago and as far as I know, it is still on the road

·
Premium Member
10,434 Posts
The ZJ spring and an extra spacer would be about 2.25 inches up front

·
Premium Member
10,434 Posts
Very cool. Christmas is coming early

1 - 20 of 20 Posts